Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row >

2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row

2011 Row Robin - Group 11 - Making Friends Row by Row

Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

ARRRGHHHH - I haven't ever heard of the "scant" vs "full" 1/4 inch seam. Geez - it seemed to me that 1/4 inch seam was already scant. Especially when I was used to 5/8 seams in sewing clothing.

I'm just going to easier blocks for this round robin and save the experiments for another time. I am taking some beginner quilting lessons during the next 3 weeks - so maybe things will become clearer.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
ARRRGHHHH - I haven't ever heard of the "scant" vs "full" 1/4 inch seam. Geez - it seemed to me that 1/4 inch seam was already scant. Especially when I was used to 5/8 seams in sewing clothing.

I'm just going to easier blocks for this round robin and save the experiments for another time. I am taking some beginner quilting lessons during the next 3 weeks - so maybe things will become clearer.
One thing that will help a little is when you're making half-square triangle blocks, make them a little bit oversized and then trim them up. For instance, when quilterscache designs say to cut a 3-7/8 inch squares to be used in half-square triangles, cut them the full 4" (this will make two 3-1/2" half-square triangles which will finish at 3"). They will be just a smidgen bigger than 3-1/2" so you trim them up and they are perfect. Even though I have sewn and quilted for many years, I still can't can't make perfect half-square triangle blocks without trimming them and if you cut the squares, for instance, 3-7/8", your stitching has to be exactly perfect - not happening when I'm sewing them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

OK - I am going to try another one tonight. Man - I hate it when work gets in the way of my quilting time.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Hello Ladies! I hope everyone is doing well!

I got a little bit distracted by the Boomerang swap, but I put in a few hours on my row today, and I have an update for you. It is basically finished except that I need to finish up the applique. It is fused on, but I am going to satin stitch around the circles yet.

I am trying to not be upset about my different color blacks. I can't even remember where I bought the black in the spiderweb blocks and it is totally different from the Kona black in the center of the row. I think from now on I will buy only Kona solids - not because I think they are better than others, but because it is a name I can recognize and find and hopefully my colors will match. I am certainly NOT going to redo those spiderweb blocks with the darker black, so I'm just going to pretend like I planned it this way!

Please let me know what you think - and if you have any opinion about sashing, please let me know. I have enough of the dark purple to do sashing between the rows. I plan on using it to make a border as well. So, to sash or not to sash - that is the question...

Mardi Gras Beads!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162682.jpe   attachment-162683.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM

What a cool row, Lara. I certainly wouldn't be redoing anything if I were you. Looks great the way it is. I personally like sashing with these row quilts.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks Judy - I'm leaning toward sashing as well.

Ugh - taking off the paper foundations from the backs of the spiderweb blocks is killing me!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Ugh - taking off the paper foundations from the backs of the spiderweb blocks is killing me!
That's why I HATE paperpiecing!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 AM

Lara - FANTASTIC row. I would not sash. I think it looks great the way it is.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Good Evening Ladies. I'm done with my row. I tossed out the first block because I couldn't come up with a theme around it.

So - I went with a regular 9 patch in jewel tones - and they all have gold metallic threads running through the print. I also appliqued a jewel shape in the mid patch.

I kindof like it. When you get my row - feel free to add to the top or the bottom. Now I have to design my label and get this out into the mail. We don't have to wait till February to send them do we????

Row of Blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165713[/ATTACH]

Bottom Block - detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165716[/ATTACH]

One of the Blue Blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165718[/ATTACH]

Green Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165719[/ATTACH]

Other Blue Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165720[/ATTACH]

Other Purple Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165721[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165708.jpe   attachment-165711.jpe   attachment-165713.jpe   attachment-165714.jpe   attachment-165715.jpe  

attachment-165716.jpe  
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Theresa, those are beautiful. As to mailing early, I think it depends on the people in our group. If everyone wants to get started, we can, but we don't want to put pressure on anyone who doesn't have their row already done. You might check with Amandab to see if she is ready to receive your row.

How is everyone else coming with their rows?