Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 07-16-2020, 06:41 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what to do next. I have ideas but the border might be a bit wider than 6 inches. Would that be ok?
Old 07-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what to do next. I have ideas but the border might be a bit wider than 6 inches. Would that be ok?
Sure... if the next person wants to they can make theirs a tad narrower than 6".

When I look at the borders in my book, it's really hard to find one you like that is exactly 6". So I'm ok with just getting it in the ballpark.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I messed up... and caused some upset over the fabric in packages. Can we agree for our rounds going forward, *not* to add any *more* fabric to the packages?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:15 AM

Yes, I agree about not sending more fabric along. Postage will be a little more each time we ship due to the growing quilt size. I appreciate the time, thought and creativity that goes into each new border. You ladies are talented!
Old 07-17-2020, 04:00 AM

I figure with the center owner sending extra fabric is fine, as that is never going to be more than the finished top, and it will get used up along the way. But I totally agree with the round participants not sending on additional extra fabric unless they mean it as a gift to the next person in line, to use or keep as they want.

I got carriem's center yesterday and have it pressed and hanging on my design wall so I can start thinking about it.

Carrie - since your center is not square, what size are you hoping to end up with? I've got one potential idea but it would turn everything more square so I don't want to do that if you are looking for a rectangular quilt at the end. Saw the note about adding rows (round 5) but didn't know if you meant to turn it more square or if you were hoping for an even longer quilt.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:31 AM

I did include some bits and pieces because I started my project from those bits and pieces, but I don't expect anyone to actually use them! And if someone wants to go ahead and send them back at any point, I'm willing to send a pre-paid envelope. Can always send them back out if someone wants them.

I've been in different groups who did things different ways, happy to do it however makes everyone feel the most comfortable. I should say that I have been collecting some little things that I will be sending as a Seattle Care Package to each person in the group at some point, cost is minimal (less than a Hallmark card and postage will be more than contents), but will include a piece of Seattle area chocolate as well as essentials like hand wipes. No one should feel obligated in any way, it's just a silly little thinking of you sort of thing that doesn't involve me hand writing

Last night's book was non-fiction about writing, called Meander, Spiral, Explode it was talking about non-linear story development. Usually we go step by step, this happened first and then this next and so forth. Thinking about that I was comparing the round robin experience where the quilt has it's own story that goes back and forth and around, travels and experiences things to my usual projects.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM

"I figure with the center owner sending extra fabric is fine, as that is never going to be more than the finished top, and it will get used up along the way. But I totally agree with the round participants not sending on additional extra fabric unless they mean it as a gift to the next person in line, to use or keep as they want".

I totally agree with this. You can fit a lot of fabric in those flat rate bags and a little extra is not going to make a difference. It will get used along the way and if not there will still be room. An example is the Boom blocks, 19 - 12 1/2" blocks, all in zip lock bags ,they all fit just fine. 1 bag, 1 price.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

My package currently has six yard or more of extra fabric riding with it, that I did not put in the package. I wasn't talking about "a little extra". If you all want to pay for a box in order to ship excess fabric like this around, that's fine. I can't afford to ship more than the padded flat rate envelope. So something has to come out!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I figure with the center owner sending extra fabric is fine, as that is never going to be more than the finished top, and it will get used up along the way. But I totally agree with the round participants not sending on additional extra fabric unless they mean it as a gift to the next person in line, to use or keep as they want.
(emphasis mine)

I agree with this too. This would keep the contents and cost of the package down.

We aren't mailing to the next person in line tho... we are mailing to the same person each time. So they would have to mail any 'gifts' on to the others. Again, burdensome. My feelings are that gifts are for a secret pal swap, not this swap. Your well thought and well made round is your gift.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:27 AM

Sorry sewbizgirl, didn't know you meant 6 yards. I was thinking a fat quarter or 2 if the fabric is hard to match or the owner really wanted more of her focus fabric in another round. That's what I get for thinking and not asking, I apologize....