Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 07-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Oh my goodness givio, I love what you did! I think it looks great! And thanks for the compliments on Mary's round. Yes, it is applique. It was a challenge but I was pleased with how it turned out.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM

LeeAnn, I'm glad you like it. :-) I couldn't bear not to use the bird fabric I had, since the shape of the bird was like the shape of the bird you appliqued in your center. The colors of my bird fabric were all different than your center colors, and that's how I decided to make my round for you a scrappy round.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 PM

LeeAnn and Givo, wonderful job. I love the negative space LeeAnn created making the overall look more complicated. And Givo, you took so many patterns and made them completely compliment the center.

It is so nice seeing all the stages in one place.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 AM

Sewbizgirl, that reminds me that I have book about pieced borders too (don't know if it's the same one) I'll have to dig it out and look. I was looking on Equilter's free patterns, as they have a lot of designs for panels that have interesting borders.

I'm planning on getting Bugaroo's center finished up this weekend. I've found a bee design I like but need to download it. This is a good motivator, I've not done any embroidery since I packed up the machine back in December. I put in so much time making masks this summer (450 so far) that the only thing I've done with the embroidery machine was hem up two pair of pants, since I needed a swing needle machine for that.

I plan on finish tiling the bathtub area tonight (only have about 5sq feet to finish) and then I'll be able to grout Saturday, and we can install the shower door Sunday. Won't be able to use it for a week, but it's going to feel real good to put the tiling tools away.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:57 AM

Among the books I pulled just in case is Janet Kime's Border Book.
https://www.amazon.com/Border-Workbo.../dp/156477693X

I'm finding as I'm actually working with the fabrics this that a lot of what I pulled isn't working so well. That's ok, plenty more fabric that is working where that came from. I'm going to select about 5 more pieces today and then call it good, or at least good enough until I get closer to layout and then maybe I'll have to make a few more adjustments.

After that and then I'm going to make a few more masks and use up the bias binding I made and then I'm putting away the mask stuff for now. Mask making is still not my happy place, even if these are pretty fun fabrics.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Default Extra Fabric in Packages

I need to share a word about extra fabric in the packages... There is no need to ship additional fabric, your leftovers, or any fabric with the tops. This adds a lot of weight and expense to each package, and most people don't want it anyway. They want to use their own fabric choices. So... I am going to say there is no obligation to ship the fabric you may receive with a quilt top. You should be able to ship the cheapest priority way, flat rate bubble mailer, and only the quilt tops will fit in those. I know the extra fabric is a very well meaning gesture, but it's impractical. No one should have to pay $15-$21 to ship a box, when they will have to ship 6 times. So please resist the urge to send along any fabric with the top.

Sorry if this steps on any toes!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Macybaby, your bathroom is going to be great with new tile. Lucky you can do that yourself.

There seems to be loads of great borders books out there. No shortage of inspiration!
Old 07-16-2020, 01:22 PM

MonaG, I have fabric picked out for your second border. I looks kind of plain but no worries... I have a plan! Hope to start working on it this weekend but the garden is calling my name!
Attached Thumbnails mona-2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Those fabrics look interesting, Bug. Love the gray 'string of pearls' fabric!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:46 PM

Bugaroo, Excellent choice of fabrics! Your round will be a good contrast to what has been made.
Ice, I looked at your link, and wow, I got lost in all the border books. There are so many ideas out there!