Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 07-14-2020, 04:31 PM

Better picture Maryb. Some of the shimmer is showing up. Very pretty.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:25 PM

I'm glad it arrived earlier this time. Thanks for posting a picture for me.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Givio! I love the round you put on LeeAnn's center. You are such an artist! It's delightful. And how am I ever going to follow that?

LeeAnn, the work you did on Mary's is wonderful, too. Those shapes are all applique? Wow. In the thumbnail pic, it looks like 4 aeroplanes now. Very cute!

Both of you ladies have done some thoughtful, beautiful work. Kudos!
Old 07-15-2020, 03:39 AM

LeeAnn, I love it!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Givio, Beautiful work on LeeAnn center!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 04:21 AM

Wow, both of those are gorgeous. I have the fabric picked out for my next round but still trying to figure out the right pattern.
the border has to be 3 inches or 6 inches correct?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:24 AM

A total that is divisible by 2 or 3 is easiest to add to?
I think we decided that the round has to be 6" or less. But I would say that if a previous row is less than 6" and you want to add a little more than 6", or vice versa, then that would be okay too.

Last edited by givio; 07-15-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:31 AM

I took my current round to my Tuesday group yesterday. That's Sewbiz's houses in the center plus Reba's round. All the ladies were so excited and thrilled. They responded well to what I'm going to be doing even though it is definitely a change... Everyone agrees that this center has pop and zing and personality and that mine doesn't. Even though that's what I'm going for, something that doesn't look like "me", sometimes humble is harder to deal with. My first concept definitely had more zip but it was also too big.

My first thoughts which I've shared with Sewbizgal, is that to me it looks like Jessica Rabbit (a personal hero! "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way") goes to San Francisco Tool Town. Just a wonderful vibrant graphic world of colors and shapes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Rabbit

One of the ladies was telling stories about some of the round robins she's participated in. Including one where the one person put on the exact same border (same fabrics even) onto each round on each quilt... that is definitely a design solution! In the group discussion it was generally agreed that the inspiration part was the hard part.

All I can say, is so far, that inspiration has been easy for me with what you all are providing. For me and this round, I think it currently finishes at 25" wide and I'm not sure if I'm going to be working with the 5" border or add in to 6" or not. First I need to make my subunits and do some layout. I'm already finding that some of the fabrics I pulled in advance are not working as well as I had thought. That's ok... plenty of choices still ahead of me
Old 07-15-2020, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Default Group 1 Mail Date

Good morning everyone! It's the 15th, so that means Mail Day for group 1. I think everyone is accounted for, but I wasn't sure, so here's your reminder if you haven't already mailed your tops.

All tops should have 2 rounds on them (centers plus one)... on their way to their third round maker. If somehow you are ahead of that, please slow down.

Love the pictures we've been seeing lately. Nice work, everyone!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:11 AM

That was a typo before, Toon not Tool... Get a very different image (complete with grunts) for Tool Town/Time. I just get this image of Jessica getting off the Trolley and walking towards those San Francisco row houses, little birds circling around her, cartoon people popping out of windows and doors and saying hello and stuff Very happy, very graphic.

As I mentioned before, I'm expecting at least two weeks of puttering around and that I won't be mailing out any time sooner than that and can easily wait until the next mail out day, I'm just making sure that I don't drop the ball again. In things I've learned is that "everything always takes longer than you expect". So if I plan this to where I can easily do it in two weeks, I can be guaranteed to make 3 weeks and so can make a 4 week timeline with no sweat (and only minimal swearing)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I wanted to tell y'all about a book I discovered I had... It's called Pieced Borders, The Complete Resource, by Judy Martin and Marsha McCloskey, (1994). It is an amazing resource for borders and round robins! I highly recommend it! It's a wonderful and exhaustive resource for pieced borders, like we are making for our RRs. The book has some beautiful scrappy quilt patterns, as well. I'm inspired.

I got an idea for LeeAnn's quilt... but I'll see what I think when I have the quilt in hand.