Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap >

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Old 07-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

For duplicates, you can use them in Granny Square blocks. Those have one in the middle, surrounded by 4 the same, then 8 the same, then 12, 16, as big as you want to go. These are from a box of vintage 2" squares that I found at an estate sale.

Attached Thumbnails img_1163.jpg  
Old 07-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I've been toying with the idea of a candy square (2.5") swap. Just like the birthdays, but all at one time. The BD swap is great, but if you use a lot of these little squares you could really use more.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:00 PM

I don't think we could ever have too many 2.5" candies, SBG! My Pinterest ideas page keeps growing with future quilts.

A new small quilt store opened up in our town and I popped in to check it out yesterday. It carries a lot of Marshall Dry Goods fabrics, very much like Quilted Twins, and for about $6 a yard. I'm really excited that a LQS opened up so close, and right across the road from the Post Office too! I look forward to supporting them, as our other closest LQS closed earlier this year. They also do longarm quilting services.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:27 PM

Lucky you NZ! A new shop close by and terrific prices. I had to pick up some purple for my JL quilt and even JoAnn's have $12 a yard fabric now. My LQS is closed on Sunday and I wanted to get this off my plate today so JoAnn's got my business.

My quilting group teases me incessantly because all my quilts seem to be made from 2.5s and they frequently send me ideas for 2.5s. But many are duplicate ideas or different color combinations. Have I really made that many? Hum, I should count. I would be interested in a 2.5 swap of some sort. I know there are Quiltingboard folks who have them piled up from previous swaps and from time to time mention "What do I do with all of these?" or "I really need to do something with these cuts."

Wendy McD, I keep the duplicates stacked together and will use them as needed but I like the idea of the Granny Squares from Sewbiz. Think I am doing well just to have the 2.5s all separated by color and in piles in my 13x9 covered boxes.

I have been working on my Jacob's Ladder this afternoon. Will post a photo tomorrow. Need to make just a few more to hit my goal of 90.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:25 AM

Just saw this, literally less than two minutes ago. It is a Christmas Mystery but only finishes at 36". Doable. I have followed this site for a couple of years and her patterns/plans are very simple.The postings come once a week on Monday. Another way to use a sub group of our 2.5s. You will need to sign up to receive her weekly notices for this mystery, but she does not inundate you with e-mail. The second step was posted this morning.

https://www.daysfilledwithjoy.com/20...ry-quiltalong/

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-12-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:49 AM

Borning
Macybaby
SBG
AHWU
Crispy Frog (It got here)

TravelingGramma
LorMarSzon
Kele
Cuppy
LoveofQuilts
BarbaraKibler 23
ibex94
NZQuilter
Patrick'sMom
Gaijin (thank you but I would have never noticed)
WendyMeD

Last edited by hav4boys; 07-13-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, Hav. Very glad my packet arried in plenty of time!
Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 PM

hav4boys - my package to you went out in the mail yesterday.

It's been busy, busy here! I'm working on a signature quilt for a wedding this weekend. I made the signature blocks and most were able to sign at the bridal shower. After collecting a few more at the wedding, I'll be ready to put it together for the new bride. My biggest "problem" was having fabric in my stash that I really liked and finding other fabric to coordinate. It's batiks and white fabric - super colorful and fresh. I snowballed the white center so people would be "forced" to stay in the lines. I used freezer paper for the first time to stabilize the fabric for signing and loved the results! I'll show it to you ladies when the top is done.

And my oldest daughter will be coming in for the wedding and we get her tomorrow on the way to the wedding. And did I mention that the couple asked me to make a small three tier wedding cake for pictures and the head table? (they will have a cookie bar for the rest of the guests). I have done two practice cakes in the past week and have the real one ready to go. The challenge, or twist, is the wedding is five hours away so packing my supplies and stuff was fun. The cakes were baked today and the frosting will occur at the hotel and the wedding site. But, I think it will all work out well and I was very honored that they asked me to do this for them.

I hope you are all enjoying your summer -- it feels super busy after the past year of doing nothing!
Old 07-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

IrishMom, wow, so much to do for the wedding! You are indispensable! I love your suggestion of using freezer paper to stabilize blocks while writing on them. I’ll remember that!
Old 07-15-2021, 03:26 AM

Irishmom, it is no wonder we have not been hearing from you. You're too busy to .... turn around. Now you can bask in the smiles and joy of this wedding. Well, after the cake is ready for presentation you can sit back. Yes, absolutely post a photo of the finished quilt and the cake too! I for one would like to see your efforts and the fine results.