Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 07-24-2022, 04:13 PM

Another option for all of us and our piles of squares. Added to my collection of patterns. This one would be a good leader/ender project! Thanks, JENNR8R.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:32 AM

I've not had much time for sewing this summer. I'm another in the middle of a house remodel. Been working hard getting the kitchen cabs made, finished and installed. While it was real nice having the studio kitchen to use while the main one was torn apart, it's not so fun after doing a second set of cabinets! Spent about 20 hours prepping and painting the last three days, and now it's time to go to work again.

On a really good note, got an email that our soapstone counters have shipped, and I'm planning on installing the tile backsplash in the main kitchen this weekend. we only have the new bathroom to complete, and then the remodel is basically done (another full time job). This house hasn't been that bad, only two years. The last one was a full gut and rebuild of a 115 year old farmhouse that was more of a "tearer downer" than a "fixer upper" and that took near ten years to get every inch done. We know we've got one more house in our future (moving south to be by Kids when I retire), so I figure we'll be remodeling again at that time. Can't see us being willing to live in a house that isn't exactly what we want, since we know how to fix it.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:22 AM

Macybaby, your drive and ambition are astounding! I can't imagine all of that work on a house when you know you will be leaving it. I am sure you can start churning out quilts when you your life and work space settle down. In the mean time, collecting little fabric squares might be a doable activity. You must have some thing to fill the time between painting, installing and putting up tile! Tee-Hee-Hee. So glad to have you with us.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:28 PM

Over the last few weeks I have been working on quilting tops for me/friends. (3 ufo quilted, just need to bind them this week so I can count them in our ufo count on another thread. I have 1 out of 5 baby tops for a friend quilted. My goal to have the 4 completed in 2-3 days. Very doable. Then I can finish 2-4 other ufo projects on my list. My sewing/quilting mojo has finally started to come back. So I can work on my sewing to do list. My distractors = reading, gardening, playing with animals, tv watching, and of course electronic gadgets. oh of course the dreaded housecleaning. Take care everyone and enjoy this wonderful summer. Summer is my time of year.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:35 PM

Happylab -- I too have a good dose of dreaded housecleaning. I have moved across the country and am busy cleaning the house, lol.

I am heading back to original homestead right now for some of my quilting things -- we aren't packing up our house entirely until we decide what to do. My dad has taken ill and we have moved to keep him comfortable in his home. I have a lot of missed threads in here because I haven't been able to get online. Please know that I am thinking of the bliss I feel while I am reading about your quilting adventures. This board is always a drop of love everytime I come in to play. Giant quilty hugs to all of you. Stay cool!
Old 07-26-2022, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Loveofquilts, please post a picture. I love the denim quilt options. I have been begging relatives not to throw out their old, 100% cotton jeans so I can accumulate a bunch of denim for that quilt I will make one day.... In the meantime, I am accumulating pictures for my quilt bucket list.
Ibex - I have a pile of circles cut from old jeans to make a "cathedral" quilt. I had a pack of charm squares (5.5") that were going to be the center, but I'm not feeling it anymore. I'm thinking of using our birthday candies to make a 4 patch for the middles? Thanks for sparking the thought!

WMU - glad you got your journal back! I love Yoders and try to get to that area about every other month. I will need to get there next month for my daughter's quilt.

So, I have plenty of time (her wedding isn't until next July) but she wants a signature quilt as her guest book. I've made several different signature quilts but usually for smaller events (less sigs) and this is for my daughter so must be THE BEST! I know I want to have just the blocks there and piece it together after the wedding. So I am on the search for ideas which would fit 150 signatures/comments. So lots of detail but areas big enough for signatures. Maybe stars? Any thoughts or ideas - please share!

We just came back from visiting her and finding the......Wedding Dress!!! I'm so happy with what she found, super romantic and dreamy. Think tulle, flower appliques, and little seed pearls! Also got to see my first show on Broadway! I have seen so many musicals in Chicago and Washington DC, but this was my first real NY show, We went to see Into the Woods, it's chock full of Tony award and Tony nominated actors. A truly special night.

Onward to catch up on all of my work since we have been gone - have a great week ladies!

Old 07-27-2022, 04:41 AM

Lov'en the chatter among us again. Catching up is good for us all. Such terrific family and personal events this summer! Moving, traveling, gardening and of course quilt making. All I need is a glass of lemonade and a nice chair on the patio and feel like I have had a chat with my friends who have stopped by to catch up. Happy stitching everyone!
Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 AM

Hi all, fund this quilt pattern today that could easily be made with candies: https://media.rainpos.com/10507/rachaelsgardenpaths.pdf

Irishmom -- 150 signatures in a quilt! Wow! Are you piecing the top ahead of time or bringing the signature blocks and sewing them together afterwards? What kind of stars were you thinking about making for the signature blocks? More than one family per star or 150 stars? What colors?

I did a search for signature quilts to see images of what's been done out there. I didn't realize that wedding quilts were a really big item these days. Yours is the first I had heard of it. Sounds like fun! I am so glad she found the dress!
Old 07-27-2022, 04:26 PM

This would make a lovely baby quilt quilt or wheelchair quilt. I like the simple cross hatch quilting and the tighter quilting made in the middle rectangle. Good find, Ibex94!
Old 07-29-2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Irishmom -- 150 signatures in a quilt! Wow! Are you piecing the top ahead of time or bringing the signature blocks and sewing them together afterwards? What kind of stars were you thinking about making for the signature blocks? More than one family per star or 150 stars? What colors?

I did a search for signature quilts to see images of what's been done out there. I didn't realize that wedding quilts were a really big item these days. Yours is the first I had heard of it. Sounds like fun! I am so glad she found the dress!
It is mind boggling - I have made 4 signature quilts. Two were fully made (top, batting, quilted) and two were given in block form with freezer paper ironed on for a solid writing surface. I like that the receiver has a quilt right away if it's fully made, but I read enough stories of mistakes that can ruin an entire quilt - especially at an event with alcohol and people think they are being "clever" and they are really being crass! So for my daughter's wedding definitely quilt blocks.

If the stars were 6" finished (writing space 4" square) then 12 x 12 layout would be 144 stars ( 6 feet square). I assume most people won't each sign a square. I assume many married couples will sign one together - or lets be honest - the wife signs for them both! But fewer stars just means a pretty border or a more manageable size quilt. 10x10 would be 5 feet square and 100 stars. And who knows at this point how many people will be coming!

My past quilts were rail fence or disappearing 9 patch. They gave between 50-75 writing squares. I just love stars and thought that could be super pretty. My other quilts were for bridal showers or birthday parties, so fewer guests.

The wedding is going to be themed around music - they met in college marching band. So I'm thinking music note fabric -- will it be the stars (with a light color in the middle for signing) or the star background fabric? Do I want scrappy music fabric (several types) or buy one fabric?

Then I saw this music note (picture below). People could sign on the light background. Or is that too music themed!?! But it's not a secret so my daughter and her fianc้ will have a say.

I also thought square in a square or even houses! I think hearts would be too much for my daughter.

So many thoughts!!! But the nice thing is any unused could be in a donation quilt --- or a baby quilt! So better to make more than less!!

I guess I'll have to make some samples for voting -- after I finish my current project. I was making a quilt for a wedding in October (quilt+cash). Doing very well on the top, just needed 5 other fabrics (it's a scrappy Disney quilt). Then I got an invitation to the shower in mid August! It makes more sense for it to be a shower gift, so busy weekend!
Attached Thumbnails national-marching-music-day.jpg