Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed >

April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed

April Secret Pal Swap Sign up Closed

Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM

i would be thrilled with that book! im sure your secret pal will too :)

Originally Posted by Jenni M
Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
I have a question and please forgive me if I give out too much information in regards to my secret pal..My Pal LOVES to cook and I have a cookbook that was printed in 1976 that than has recipes that are 100 years old..So now, they are over 130 years old..My question is this..Do you think it would be ok to add into her "goodies" that I am sending? I would love to see this book go to someone who enjoys cooking..Its a little well used but in very good shape..I am mailing her package tomorrow morning :)
ABSOLUTELY!!! I love cooking and any good cookbook. I think it is a great idea!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Yes, my package was awesome, particularly that beautiful sewing kit. My SP owned her own traveling quilt busiiness - my good fortune that she is divesting of her inventory.

Regarding finding bargains for swap packages - well, I have a few. Don't I just always have something to say, though? Guess you would not believe (or would you) that on my grade school report cards, I always had a teacher's note that begged my mom to tell me to keep quiet and stop whispering when she was teaching.

Sooo, I always carry coupons for everything/everyplace in my purse. It is like a treasure hunt when I find clearance bins - even my Hallmark store has a great one. And yesterday I got metal and also beaded purse handles for 80% off at Hancock Fabric clearance racks (try the remnant bin also). I paid $1.79 ea for $8.99 items.

I shop at church/school/senior living center rummage sales (an unopened bag of batting was thrown in free once because I bought some .$25 crafts). One of my favorite spots is in Auburn, CA at a church with a regular thrift store with it's very own room of sewing and craft items. Great lace and vintage fabrics in there for next to nothing.

I shop at library book sales and get catalogs and books - fiction and quilting books for $1 each.

I buy in quantity when I see a sale or have a 50% off everything, including sale items (JoAnn Fabrics). When the swap comes up, I go shopping in my bag at home and then add a few goodies based on the profile provided. It's quick and I can mail early and stay within the $10 limit very easily and I can send much more than if I had paid retail prices. I have enough in my stash now for about 5 swaps and with enough variety to cover more than one person's profile. This is so much fun. And if I don't do swaps anymore, well, there is nothing "I" would not use or donate to my quilt club.

Have fun - I sure do.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I sent my secret pals squishy out today. It is headed south east of me! It should arrive on Friday! I hope she likes it!
Candi, Candi, this is one of us :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: I just KNOW it :thumbup:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 AM

I agree, even though she sent the cookbook already. That is an awesome idea.

I guess I wasn't thinking so much about the dollar places and finding small gifts. My bad and I apologize to my SP, even if she said she did like what I sent. Thanks for All the tips!

I can't wait for the next swap, cuz, I'm gonna pack it this time like the ones I've seen. lol

This is so great, it's like watching everyone open Christmas prezzies.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Okay everyone, not sure where I should go to post my mitered corners secrets (shared with me by my first quilt teacher Roberta, I didn't even know how to thread my machine when I took her "Red Hat applique" class). First you stop stitching 1/4 inch from the bottom of quilt, take 4 stitches back, tie off thread, cut, fold corners, begin stitching 1/4 inch from top of corner, take 4 stitches forward, back up 3 stitches, ( this secures your seam doesn't come unstitched) continue like this for remainder of binding. Makes beautiful, perfect mitered corners EVERY time :) :) :) If Candi will come down to see me, I will get her to help post a "real" tutorial, but since I can't yet post pics on my own ( I know I gotta learn) I can't get the tute on the board.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm drooling...now that I have recovered from my trip to the PO, took about 1 chocolate and a hug from Ray (my furbaby), I'm thrilled by all the pictures.

Can I have a glass of that lemonade, please, and I'd like to offer my Toffee-almond bars to have with it, altho they may be a tad sweet in cyberspace no one will mind I know :lol:
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 AM

silly UPS truck..It came into my drive way..my heart started pounding..It pulled away :cry: ..circled the street came back to my house, stopped and than drove 2 doors down and stopped..I feel like a kid at Christmas :P
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Terryl:

A tute would be great. As for board posting images, that is pretty easy. Windows has a image editor, if you don't have photoshop or that type of software. Just make sure the images aren't huge, because that takes a long time to load.

Save them as a .jpg or .gif extension.

Save them to your desktop so you can find them.

When the File attachments show at the bottom of your post, put in a word or two on the first line, browse to the desktop to find your .jpg or .gif. When you are done adding, just hit send!

Originally Posted by Terryl
Okay everyone, not sure where I should go to post my mitered corners secrets (shared with me by my first quilt teacher Roberta, I didn't even know how to thread my machine when I took her "Red Hat applique" class). First you stop stitching 1/4 inch from the bottom of quilt, take 4 stitches back, tie off thread, cut, fold corners, begin stitching 1/4 inch from top of corner, take 4 stitches forward, back up 3 stitches, ( this secures your seam doesn't come unstitched) continue like this for remainder of binding. Makes beautiful, perfect mitered corners EVERY time :) :) :) If Candi will come down to see me, I will get her to help post a "real" tutorial, but since I can't yet post pics on my own ( I know I gotta learn) I can't get the tute on the board.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
I have a question and please forgive me if I give out too much information in regards to my secret pal..My Pal LOVES to cook and I have a cookbook that was printed in 1976 that than has recipes that are 100 years old..So now, they are over 130 years old..My question is this..Do you think it would be ok to add into her "goodies" that I am sending? I would love to see this book go to someone who enjoys cooking..Its a little well used but in very good shape..I am mailing her package tomorrow morning :)

I am new here but that sounds like a gread idea to me. I am looking forward to maybe joining the May Swap if there is one.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by newquilter10
One more day here in Granger Lake and then we move on to Big Cabin, OK. We will be there for two nights or so and then on to Branson for three or four nights and then to Collinsville, IL to visit with my brother and his family and see my Mom. We will be home on April 29th and then I will be able to get package from my SP and respond with a thank you. I am enjoying seeing all the nice packages.

I am with the others, I sometime use some of my statsh, magazines, bargains I have found by looking around.

You all have a great day, I am doing laundry so we can move on with clean clothes.

I forgot to tell you all that I found the red and black chile pepper material that I wanted for my bow tuck tote. Found it in Georgetown at Hobby Lobby. Now I can get with it when I get home.

Hey Linda, did not take us long to get laundry done. You see we are traveling together. Off to lunch here soon.