Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open!  :)  Close 6/30/17 >

BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open! :) Close 6/30/17

BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open! :) Close 6/30/17

Old 06-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Moonwork, good to hear from you! I'm so sorry for the loss of your neice. The T shirt quilt is beautiful.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 PM

GramE I set google maps and listen to an audio book. The audio book stops when google maps tells you the directions. It was really nice in Omaha after shopping because It offered me three alternate set of directions to pick between Was able to avoid the congested interstate and take the back highways to catch the interstate on the edge of the city instead of fighting all the congestion. Can't say enough good about it
Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Great question! I usually buy something new for the boom but twice I've pulled from my stash. My stash isn't very large so I'm limited there. I love scrappy more than anything so I also have lots of scraps. As for prewashing, I don't wash for myself as a rule but for the boom I do. Yardage is easy but smaller pieces I will figure the amount I need, add a little for shrinkage and then handwash those pieces to use in boomer's blocks.
Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I have a question for all you boomers, do you buy brand new fabric to work with everyone's fabric requests or do you use your stash? And what do you do when you have that prefect matching precut or large scrap that hasn't been washed? Do you wash it? I guess I'm asking because I get given a lot of fabric and most of it is FQ size or smaller, or odd shapes, and I don't know if it's been prewashed. My stash is mainly scraps from thrift stores or other people's leftovers. I'm not fussy about mixing washed with unwashed for myself but I've been wondering how you ladies deal with it in a boom?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Hi Moonwork. I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your niece. You have my condolences. It's lovely that you made her hubby and daughter the beautiful tee shirt quilt.

I'm sorry that you won't be joining us this round but it does sound like you have your hands full. Keep in touch though, please!
Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
Hey there folks... I'm going to sit this one out also.

I still have an unfinished bathroom (going on 8 months now ) but have had breathing issues since the first of the year soooooo no construction could be done in the house. Had a niece (34 yrs old) pass away in January (start of my breathing issues) and made her husband (my nephew) and her daughter a Teeshirt quilt from her shirts .

Working with our LQS on some "learning" projects that is like herding cats into a bathtub of water and now I've started another project for a granddaughter that just graduated and is going to specialize in chemistry (where in the world did she come from???).

So.... while not as overwhelmed as others, I have reached my limits (without needing to find space for "bodies to hide").

Have fun and I will lurk as always
Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 PM

I also try to use my stash. Will buy new if necessary to comply with boomer requests if I don't have anything to match.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Yep, I use from my stash as much as possible. I only buy new if necessary. That being said, I usually buy about 2 yards of WOW and COC to use for backgrounds. That will last for several Booms and my own projects. I have had to buy some solids also. I really like TOTs because they'll blend with just about anything.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Terri, glad you made it safe and sound.

Moonw, glad too hear from you sorry about your families loss, and that you won't be playing this round, look forward to when you will be able to play w/ us again.

As far as prewashing small pieces I only do that for booms not for myself, but I hand wash in the sink and dry w/ my iron. Oh and I use from my stash where I can, but can't help myself for buying that "perfect fabric" here and there.

Janice answered the short pieces already.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM

Sorry, I didn't fully answer the question. I do a lot of responding on the fly and miss the gist of some things. Back to this post. I usually buy new fabric for MY F8s that I send out. I do try to use my stash when making blocks for the other members. I have increased my supply of tone on tones and blenders but occasionally I will go out and purchase a fat quarter or two if what I have doesn't coordinate well enough for my taste. While I prefer to keep costs down, if you don't have a good coordinating fabric, it is best to try to find one at your LQS or Joann or whatever place you have near you. Most boomers will request certain colors be used and we try to respect and accommodate those wishes within reason. Keep in mind however, that sometimes you will ask for certain colors and your request will be misunderstood or inadvertently missed. Stuff happens but we try our best to make blocks that will suit you.
Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Great question! I usually buy something new for the boom but twice I've pulled from my stash. My stash isn't very large so I'm limited there. I love scrappy more than anything so I also have lots of scraps. As for prewashing, I don't wash for myself as a rule but for the boom I do. Yardage is easy but smaller pieces I will figure the amount I need, add a little for shrinkage and then handwash those pieces to use in boomer's blocks.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 AM

I fold both the concave and convex in half to get the middle point for both, and pin that point together, then pin the leading half (the half that will go in the sewing machine first. I know I made a tutorial somewhere when I was making the drunkard's path but can't find it for the life of me.
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hi ladies wow less than 48 hours and already so many swappers.

Unfortunately I'll not be playing this time around. I even sent an email to Janice telling her under no circumstance is she to allow me in if I suddenly loose my mind and ask to join. I have way too much going on in my family life and a ton of quilting commitments including a king size double wedding ring I am currently working on. My Sister in law started it as a wedding gift for her son and DIL. long story short she is unable to complete it and asked if I would. I had several other projects to finish first 1 queen size, 6 baby quilts, 3 couch quilts and a king size wedding quilt from a wedding almost 2 years ago. They are all done YAY so I pulled out the double wedding ring today.

Ladies I am way out of my comfort zone and I think way over my head. My SIL had made maybe 20 units by hand and now I'm trying to do the rest......Not by hand I have never worked with curves before do you guys have any tips or suggestions? this may be my undoing.

I've been so busy trying to get those commitments done I have missed all of you. I miss reading about whats going on in your lives and seeing all the blocks and finished quilts. As much as I love all my boom blocks and love making yours for you, I dearly miss the sharing and friendship.

You ladies have fun I look forward to checking in on all of your hard work and your lives.

And seriously any tips or tricks on working with those curves?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hi ladies wow less than 48 hours and already so many swappers.

Unfortunately I'll not be playing this time around. I even sent an email to Janice telling her under no circumstance is she to allow me in if I suddenly loose my mind and ask to join. I have way too much going on in my family life and a ton of quilting commitments including a king size double wedding ring I am currently working on. My Sister in law started it as a wedding gift for her son and DIL. long story short she is unable to complete it and asked if I would. I had several other projects to finish first 1 queen size, 6 baby quilts, 3 couch quilts and a king size wedding quilt from a wedding almost 2 years ago. They are all done YAY so I pulled out the double wedding ring today.

Ladies I am way out of my comfort zone and I think way over my head. My SIL had made maybe 20 units by hand and now I'm trying to do the rest......Not by hand I have never worked with curves before do you guys have any tips or suggestions? this may be my undoing.

I've been so busy trying to get those commitments done I have missed all of you. I miss reading about whats going on in your lives and seeing all the blocks and finished quilts. As much as I love all my boom blocks and love making yours for you, I dearly miss the sharing and friendship.

You ladies have fun I look forward to checking in on all of your hard work and your lives.

And seriously any tips or tricks on working with those curves?
You sum it up for me - I have way to much going on this summer and into the fall that I can't even think. I am attempting to finish up four quilts before I start anything else. Will be going to MD to watch 3yo GD for 10 days. In NY helping with my mom so my brother can enjoy his boating. Will have company, and grands coming and going the next two months. And then we have to be down in FL the end of Sept for deposition. UGH!
As for DWR - I used Judy Neimeyer's pattern. It used paperpiecing on the arch because I could never cut and piece those little pieces!!

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]574653[/ATTACH]
The reddish fabric is the one bleeding out. I have yet to get the Retayne color fixative.
I recall the red fabric - maybe you showed it once before? And how special to be asked to work .

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Here is a pic of my fabric. I don't have it "prepared" yet, but I'm going to ask for no black, off white, holiday, or children's prints. Any color in the print is great, any type (solids, tot, wow, prints, stripes etc...) just have fun w/ it. I am thinking this one may end up being a quilt made for a graduation gift for my cousin's daughter. Not entirely sure about that yet, but kinda what I'm thinking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574546[/ATTACH]
Kass -- I absolutely love your fabric. who made it - does it have a name? Would have loved to play with it.

Originally Posted by klaws View Post
I am so excited to join in this swap with all you wonderful ladies. I read all the posts from Boom 18 (and Boom 19 so far) and really enjoy the camaraderie among everyone. Such a friendly and caring group.

I posted a picture of the fabric I want to use for the 3 month group on the Boom 18 thread but will post it again here. I know stripes may be a challenge but I'm sure that whatever you make will turn out great. I will be leaving color choices to all of you. The only color I would not want is more black. I love bright colors so let your imagination run wild and have fun!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574666[/ATTACH]
Klaws - you need to check out the last few years of boom pictures - I had sent out stripes one time and dots another and everyone really went crazy and made great blocks. I love being able to play with fabric (one time)that makes me really think and venture out of comfort zone. Will miss playing this time

And I will continue to watch and drool. My mind has already created a block with your fabric!! Hopefully (Praying) that we will be able to go to AZ for a few years and get more sewing time in. Hoping my mom will come and stay there for long periods of time (another prayer!!)