Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 AM

The public critique was not harsh at all. 90% of it was positive. She really liked the speech. They do try to include ways you can improve and the evaluator was right. She wanted me to be more personal with the crowd. I spoke with her after and that’s when she suggested it could be because I taught seniors.

I always request the specific evaluators who will who give me feedback I can use to improve. One of the biggest problems with toastmasters is that the evaluators don’t always give feedback that helps you improve your speech. I was pleased with the evaluation.

My husband actually gave me the best tip. He didn’t think I was too loud but he said the speech was in lecture mode. I worked as an adjunct prof for years. I now need to learn to talk more personally to the audience.

I don’t really get nervous when I talk. Another member asked me why. I told them I taught health for many years and that included two weeks of sexual health education. I actually went and watched another prof teach that section of the class before I taught it. I had the students write anonymous questions for me to answer. After teaching the class a few times I could answer almost all of them right on the spot instead of bringing them home and answering the next class. I haven’t been nervous about speaking since then.

The first two times, I did this, my two teenagers worked on the questions with me. I had prepared my lectures at the kitchen table and of course they were interested. I think they went away to college the best educated kids as far as this topic was concerned.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Billi, great block. It looks very cool. All those tiny pieces went together perfectly.
Mjp, sounds like a great speech!! Being a bit loud is much better than people not being able to hear you.
Kass, I can’t wait to see Libster’s block.
Sewbiz, so sad about your coffee spill. At least you were able to wash your fabric. Hope the coffee didn’t leave stains. I’ve spilled coffee all over school papers before, very frustrating.

Have a great weekend everyone. I’m hoping to get to a few blocks this weekend.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Thanks Kass, I love the block you made! Terri, where did you go? I thought it was Alaska but you said 80 degrees...I think of Alaska as cold?? Hoping we don't get the freezing rain they are calling for this weekend..snow would be ok but not freezing rain.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 AM

I've got three more blocks from Mariposa

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588692[/ATTACH]
For Jaba

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588693[/ATTACH]
For JayneW

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588694[/ATTACH]
For Kassaundra
Attached Thumbnails q-mari-jaba.jpg   q-mari-jayne.jpg   q-mari-kass.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM

More beautiful blocks Mariposa.

i got my Around the block book by Judy Hopkins that Terriamn and Sewbiz suggested I buy. It’s great. There are some easy triangle blocks I can start with. I love all the block names. My favorite is Robbing Peter to pay Paul. It’s not a block I’m going to attempt any time soon.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 02-09-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Beautiful blocks Mariposa, mine is great, churn w/ a pinwheel center and the colors are spot on.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Hot off the machine is Libster's block. I noticed there was a 4 repeat in the F8, but it was only a small strip (x4). So I knew I could make 4 patch posies, but the biggest I could make them was just under 4 inches. So each 4PP was going to need a surround. If I set them on point I would have more room to play w/ the surround, and since we all know Libster's fondness for stars why not figure out a surround that would make stars???? But I have a strip of her fabric left just sitting there doing nothing, can't really use the repeats since there are only 2. (well I did try but forgot about mirror image shapes ). That is the thinking process that got me to here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588709[/ATTACH]

The purple star points aren't pastel, but they aren't nearly as dark as they look either.
Attached Thumbnails img_0391.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Ive got three bucket list items. #1 is learn to play the piano #2 is learn how to use my Brother embroidery machine and #3 is learn to paper piece. By the time I finish #1 Ill probably be too old to do the other two! LOL...My sister comes to nursing home every Thur and plays for a couple of hours..Good songs, older songs and I just love listening to her play. I'm going to take a lesson on the machine...paper piecing I might have to just forget! LOL
Old 02-09-2018, 02:33 PM

You think learning to play the piano will be easier then PP????
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Ive got three bucket list items. #1 is learn to play the piano #2 is learn how to use my Brother embroidery machine and #3 is learn to paper piece. By the time I finish #1 Ill probably be too old to do the other two! LOL...My sister comes to nursing home every Thur and plays for a couple of hours..Good songs, older songs and I just love listening to her play. I'm going to take a lesson on the machine...paper piecing I might have to just forget! LOL
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Gosh! Some are finished already! Nice work. I am loving all the blocks so far.

I have a finished block. It feels like it’s been forever since the last one, but it’s only been a week. Here is Terriamn’s block:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588719[/ATTACH]

The beer fabric had me stumped for a bit as I am not used to working with a novelty type fabric. Finally I just tackled it and I hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails 7af67efd-fa21-47b3-be62-0a4a9a609a94.jpeg