Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18 >

Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18

Boom 22 Sign-ups open through January 18

Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Libster, your AV is gorgeous! And I'm envious of your green thrumb

My AV story - I had failed several times at keeping an AV plant alive then I decided to buy an AV planter pot where you water through the bottom section. The next AV that I grew stayed alive (in that same pot) for almost 20 years as I moved from California to Florida to Virginia! It was one of those important items that received special handling when the US Navy moved us from place to place

That is the whole secret to growing AVs, bottom feeding and watering! Never water from the top, they hate water on their leaves and crown.

This is the only one I have right now, Janice. I've been downsizing in prep for moving into the smaller senior apartment. Once there, I will have more! My favorites are iris outside and AVs and amaryllis inside.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Years ago a coworker taught all of us in the office how to start AVs like you did. It was amazing to watch. They thrived until I brought mine home. I’ve never had the right conditions for them. Now the only plants I grow are those that thrive on benign neglect. Anyone need spider plants? Those I cannot kill. And outside, my Lenten roses are doing well. Two varieties, each in the perfect spot.

Here is the first bloom bloom from the purple ones which in a few months time will fade to pale green...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606785[/ATTACH]

And here are my new ones, (I cannot locate the name right now) they bloomed perfectly snowy white with bright yellow centers in Late December...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606786[/ATTACH]

But by last week they had changed to this...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606787[/ATTACH]
It’s like having multiple plants in one! And they are not fussy at all. Perfect for me.

QUOTE=Libster;8193299]That is the whole secret to growing AVs, bottom feeding and watering! Never water from the top, they hate water on their leaves and crown.

This is the only one I have right now, Janice. I've been downsizing in prep for moving into the smaller senior apartment. Once there, I will have more! My favorites are iris outside and AVs and amaryllis inside.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails 09d5aa52-ff61-417b-9562-2e62a5aa78ba.jpeg   f03e607d-7c46-4f71-9b88-7816e98f0495.jpeg   fdb69557-5eea-460a-b237-8d52097809d3.jpeg  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 AM

Janice flowers in the winter how exciting. Nothing here not even snow, everything is blah brown

i have 4 different succulents on my dining room table that I have managed to keep growing for many years. In the upstairs bedroom window I am trying to winter my geraniums. So fun to go in there and see blooms.

Jayne you are going to love your new machine. It’s amazing how fast you will get use to all the bells and whistles and really miss them when you have to sew on an older machine. The thread cutter is really nice for paper piecing. My smaller light weight traveling machine is a Janome, my main machine at home is the Janome 9400. Quite an extreme between machine.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
i have 4 different succulents on my dining room table that I have managed to keep growing for many years. In the upstairs bedroom window I am trying to winter my geraniums. So fun to go in there and see blooms.
My succulents are on the kitchen windowsill. And my geraniums are in the laundry room. I've wintered them for about ten years now!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM

I have chosen fabric. This first I got at a quilt shop in Hawaii. I want to make a commemorative quilt for my husbands first trip to Hawaii. I thought this fabric was a perfect representation.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606794[/ATTACH]
I picked this fabric up this past weekend. Not usually one for glittered fabric, but thought this would make perfect lap quilts to take to Shriner's Children Hospital. They do such awesome work. My son has had surgery twice there for nerve damage to his arm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606795[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails hawaii-fabric.jpg   shoe-purse-fabric.jpg  
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Hav4boys, lovely fabrics. I like the Hawaii one which is surprising since I tend to go for darker fabrics. The second fabric would look really cute in a handbag with a matching floppy hat.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Both fabrics are very cool, but my issue with the second one is the glitter. It gets everywhere, including on other things in the wash. I was very close to choosing a fabric from my stash for the swap when I realized it had glitter . NOpe, not a good idea. Can we eliminate glittery choices, please?

Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
I have chosen fabric. This first I got at a quilt shop in Hawaii. I want to make a commemorative quilt for my husbands first trip to Hawaii. I thought this fabric was a perfect representation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606794[/ATTACH]

c

I picked this fabric up this past weekend. Not usually one for glittered fabric, but thought this would make perfect lap quilts to take to Shriner's Children Hospital. They do such awesome work. My son has had surgery twice there for nerve damage to his arm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606795[/ATTACH]
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM

Would it be a problem if I sent an extra 2 f8's just incase I didn't get some of my f8's cut right? Right now I have a total of 23 f8's washed, dried, cut and bagged.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Two fun fabrics, Hav4! They will be fun to play with.

I'll have to look for an AV planter for my daughter, Libster. She has some AVs in her kitchen window, and they are just in pots. She waters from the top (when she remembers) so no wonder they aren't doing too great. Thanks for the good info!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 AM

I bought some glittered fabric recently from the quilt store and was surprised that the glitter didn’t seem to be coming off. I don’t think all glittered fabrics are created equal. I have had glittered fabric that got everywhere, it was stuff I got at JoAnns. Perhaps hav4boys, fabric is the kind that doesn’t shed?

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Both fabrics are very cool, but my issue with the second one is the glitter. It gets everywhere, including on other things in the wash. I was very close to choosing a fabric from my stash for the swap when I realized it had glitter . NOpe, not a good idea. Can we eliminate glittery choices, please?