Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011 >

Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011

Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011

Old 09-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Jennifer22206 wrote no... I'm not too excited for this one.
One Large Group of fabrics cut, letter written and in envelopes - just waiting on addresses!!

Question...what should be on the letter? I'm a newbie :)
Old 09-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Ok really stupid question...baggie should be quart size or...?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM

I don't think I got this.

The spreadsheet I send out also helps with organizing :) Hope you will find it helpful as well.
Hugs
April[/quote]
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM

I am just getting started, washed my fabric,,,tomorrow will cut and maybe write letter(photo copy them),,I hate to write and you couldnt read my writing...No hurry though, I have plenty of ufos I am working on!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rn8or

The spreadsheet I send out also helps with organizing :) Hope you will find it helpful as well.
Hugs
April
April sends the spreadsheet via e-mail after sign-ups have closed. They haven't gone out yet. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

One Large Group of fabrics cut, letter written and in envelopes - just waiting on addresses!!

On mine, I mention my plans for the quilt, and any coordinating colors I'd like. Things like "no white" or "no batiks", etc. Suggestions can be helpful when deciding what to do with the fabric. :) I put my name, board name, and address as well.

It's optional of course, but I like to put a small photo of my fabric on the letter in case they get separated. :)
Old 09-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Ok really stupid question...baggie should be quart size or...?
It depends on how you fold your fabric and the size of your envelope. I used Glad Press & Seal this time (faster), but in the past I used gallon-sized baggies that I cut in half and taped shut. Once folded and taped, they fit nicely into business-sized envelopes. I'd use the other half of the baggie to wrap the next F8. (Hope that makes sense.)

Some people use sandwich-sized baggies in 6x9 manilla envelopes. :)

It's best to cut the zipper part off and tape the baggie shut. The zipper can add thickness and can cause the postage to be more. ;)
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM

For example - using the
In my letter I just said, "I'm Jennifer, this is my 3rd Boom. For this fabric I'm planning on making a quilt for ____ (I'm going to be in 2 groups and sending 3 different fabrics, Elmo, white and Coffee cups so it depends on which group)."

So.. if you receive the Elmo fabric, my DD wants a "bright, happy quilt" so anything goes. The Coffee fabric has a TON of colors in it - so I don't think anyone will be hard pressed to find something that matches. The White one will be going into a Spring/Summer quilt, and I'm asking that only one predominant color (or shade, or pattern) be added to it - either blue, red, orange, yellow, purple, green. It depends on which letter ya'll get. There are 6 of the red,orange,yellow, purple, green and 5 blues going out. I'm making the last blue. There will be my 36 blocks total.

You don't have to send a letter. Typically if you don't send a letter the recipients of the F8th have carte blanche to do whatever they want with it.

Example: In Boom 5 I sent the floral fabric with no note other than Have Fun! and no batik

And for the other group, I sent either the lobster print (my Daddy was a lobsterman) or the ships wheel and requested that the colors found in the fabric or white be added, and requested that no batik be used.

These are what I've received: http://s931.photobucket.com/albums/a...05%20Received/

For me the baggie is just a regular sandwich baggie. My advice is to try to get them as flat as possible! :) You can use cling wrap too - but my DD thought it would be funny to put cling wrap over her face, so I go with the baggie method. Safer all around. :) Especially since my DD loves to "help"
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Ditto everything she said:
!!!

Also, I'd like to suggest that everyone write their boardname right on the inside seam of the block. I will be doing that next boom swap - I want to know forever who made them!

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
The spreadsheet April sends is a great tool for tracking projects in the boom.

I added a few columns for pictures. I too took pictures of the fabric when it came in and added it to the spreadsheet. I took pictures of the blocks I made along with the blocks I received.

I could look at my spreadsheet at any time and see exactly where I was at.

When the fabric came in, I wrote the date on the outside of the envelope along with their board name if it wasn't already on there. I kept the fabric out of the envelope because I immediately put the fabric, the envelope and any notes into a gallon baggie.

I shopped my stash for coordinating fabrics and added the fabrics to the baggie so I would already have some lined up when I went to work on them.

I kept the baggies in a box in the order they were received. That's how I did the blocks too, first in , first out.

When the blocks came home, I ironed them flat and took a picture of them to add to my spreadsheet. I cut the corner off the return envelope and stapled it to my received block so I'd have that info easily when I was showing off my blocks.

I REALLY liked getting notes of what the blocks were going to be used for so I could try and match up an appropriate block. If there are specific colors to use or not use that was a great thing to know also.

Please do put your screen name on everything.

Please do acknowledge on the board via a posting when you receive a F8, when you mail out a block and when you receive a block.

Generally it was accepted to NOT post pictures of the blocks you made on the Boom link but you could make your own link to show off the blocks you had made (see at the bottom of my posting for example).

Generally it was appreciated if you DID post pictures of the blocks you received ... it shared your beauties with everyone and maybe provided some creative inspiration for others working on your fabrics too.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by moonrise

Hugs
April
April sends the spreadsheet via e-mail after sign-ups have closed. They haven't gone out yet. :)