Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011 >

Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011

Boomerang 6.0 Now CLOSED for Signups!** LISTS HAVE BEEN EMAILED 09/29/2011

Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
Hello,
I would love to do this please. I am in Canada so I hope you all don't mind? :) I would like to do the big swap.

May I send each person a Fat Quarter? Should I prewash them all?

This is my first Boomerang swap, I am so excited.
I will cut a FQ (18" by 22") in half to make the F8 to be (11" by 18").
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rn8or
Hi. I have a question...how much of the f8 should be in the block? 75%, 50%, etc.
Personally I like to see half of my fabric in a block so that when put together, you can see the common fabric, but I know some blocks use 3 colors and less of the F8. I guess the answer is, do what you think looks best!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:58 PM

if you half a fq you would get either 18 x 11 or 9 x 22. to get 9 x 11 that sounds like 4ths of a fq.

a fq is generally 18 x 22. if you cut from the 22" side that would give you two pieces at 18" x 11". if you cut from the 18" side, you end up with two pieces 9" x 22". i hope the pic below helps.

as an fyi, you may not get eight f8's from a yard of fabric. typically you will get six. the reason is that once you cut off the selvages, you will typically end up with 40"-42" of fabric not 44"-45". remember to take these measurements in account when buying your focus fabric so that you can buy enough of it for your blocks and any borders or sashing you plan to do.

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
quick question

what size are we sending in to start?

i google a Fat 8th and it says the size is 9 by 11, which makes sense half of a FQ.

the rules post says to send Fat 8ths but then in another section it says the size is 18 by 11.
pic showing fat eighth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255101.jpe  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM

to be on the safe side, it may help to request that your fabric be used as the background fabric. i thought that my focus fabric would be mostly used but that was not always the case plus it depends on the block that's made.

Originally Posted by paintmejudy
Originally Posted by Rn8or
Hi. I have a question...how much of the f8 should be in the block? 75%, 50%, etc.
Personally I like to see half of my fabric in a block so that when put together, you can see the common fabric, but I know some blocks use 3 colors and less of the F8. I guess the answer is, do what you think looks best!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM

here are some of the blocks i made in boom swap 5.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255117.jpe   attachment-255118.jpe  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM

my boom 5 group had a canadian in it. nope we don't mind. :thumbup:

some washed their f8's and others did not and requested that the block maker not wash their fabrics as well. it really is up to you.

once april gets the groups together, she will notify everyone what group they are in and send a contact list at that time. just hang in there. the boom swap will be here before you know it.

Originally Posted by Aully
Hello,
I would love to do this please. I am in Canada so I hope you all don't mind? :) I would like to do the big swap.

May I send each person a Fat Quarter? Should I prewash them all?

This is my first Boomerang swap, I am so excited.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 PM

What I've found:
~ in order to get 36 Fat 8ths from the same focus fabric, I would recommend buying AT LEAST 6 yards.
~ some people get really pushy with what they want to "see" as their vision for the fabric. And that vision may or may not be what we as the makers of blocks see in our minds. I hope that everything I've made has made the recipients happy.
~ it's important to realize as per the rules of the swap, that it is MAKERS CHOICE as to what block to make. The sender can request certain colors, but NOT BLOCKS.

Personally:
~ I would like people to do whatever they want with my fabric, to use as much or as little as they want.
~ I just want people to have fun, that's what this swap is about.

IMHO some fabric calls for a LOT to be used, and other fabric (to me anyway) doesn't call for that much to be used.

~ I've learned to try new blocks, to make blocks that I typically wouldn't for a quilt for me.
~ I've learned to just relax and have fun.
~ I've learned that I'll get back blocks that I never would have made for myself.
~ I've learned that EVERYONE is at different skill levels, and EVERYONE really tries their best.
~I've made some amazing friends with the boomerang swap and I hope everyone has a great time.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 PM

And we love international players. :) I was in a group with an Australian and a Canadian. :)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm all ready to go! I have purchased my fabric, washed it, ironed it, cut it, folded it, bagged it and it is sitting on my table waiting to be sent. I hope my group like a little bit of a challenge!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by immemother
I'm all ready to go! I have purchased my fabric, washed it, ironed it, cut it, folded it, bagged it and it is sitting on my table waiting to be sent. I hope my group like a little bit of a challenge!
Wow! I have not even picked out my fabric yet. I'm going to the fabric store tomorrow.