Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
CLOSED    June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st >

CLOSED June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st

CLOSED June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
:lol: Mary it was a roll of candy, depending on the heat they can be like gummy bears. But I find gummy bears soft in comparison to wine gums. Sometimes they can be so hard that they make your teeth ache from all the chewing. That's why I told you to stick with the brandy........ that reminds me, when I was a kid the big bags of wine gums had the name of which drink they were supposed to be like (and they don't taste like it!) was on top of them.

I remember brandy, sherry and port. Then the poor old memory fails.

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Happy Anniversary!!!! May you have many many more years of love and happiness.Aurora-what beautiful fabrics you recieved.Quilting Aggi- Wine gum is candy??? Thought it was a chewing gum.Then I thought no,you don't send that to a secret pal.It must be like gummy bears or gumdrops.Everyone have a happy day. Mary
I met a gal at my new job today and she is from Engand. In fact, she plopped down on the picnic table where I was eating lunch with another co-worker. Well she had a candy bar that did not have an American looking wrapper. It turned out to be from England. She HAS heard of wine gum (used to eat it in the movie theater, she said). And she said you haven't lived until you have eaten (sorry if my memory is wrong) a "Flake" candy bar? Is that right? Turns out the specialty grocery store next to my workplace has an English section where you can get candy from across the pond, but not wine gum (which I also thought was gum). Happy last day of June, everyone. No package here yet. I'm guessing it's stuck in Canada, perhaps?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 AM

Oh my - my DH is from England, and your co-worker is right, you haven't lived till you've eaten a Flake candy bar. Holy smokes, those are AMAZING!!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Oh my - my DH is from England, and your co-worker is right, you haven't lived till you've eaten a Flake candy bar. Holy smokes, those are AMAZING!!
They used to run some wonderful ads on the TV. There was huge cachet in being the Cadbury Flake girl. Cadbury milk chocolate (now owned by Kraft who have sent the production to POLAND????) used to claim there was a glass and half of milk in every bar. Fantastically, smooth, moreish chocolate. The Flake bar is made up of compressed flakes of their chocolate that crumble as you eat it.... so you have to eat it while still in the wrapper.

They filmed the girls in all sorts of situations, I loved the one where she was having a bath in an old fashioned roll top bath and forgot that the tap was running whilst she enjoyed the delights of her flake.

Perhaps I will put one in my July SP's package, but they don't travel all that well as it was called: the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Yep, I know some of them. :D I've been spoiled too because I teach Spanish, so I get the really good chocolates.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM

On my bucket list is to visit England where my ancestors lived. My geneology has been traced back to the 1500's to Upwey, England (south coastal area, I think, but I am geographically challenged so not sure). I even know what ship my 13 GGF took to Massachusettes. And I share a 7th GGF with Lucille Ball, and John Wayne is in my lineage somewhere, too. Fascinating. Here's a photo of the sheep farm. I have access to the inventory of this place in the 1500's, as well as a copy of his will. Anyone else out there interested in geneology?

The Sprague Upwey Mill
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219314.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Rita's mom-You are so welcome. I tried to get it out quickly so you didn't have to wait any more. Sorry your regular pal didn't send yours. That's such a shame when it happens.Hope your daughter wins a ribbon if she shows her calf. I have 2 calfs due this month. After over 30 years it's still thrilling when they are born.Life can be amazing.Mary
Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM

I do geneology too. All I need is to find the birth record of one more person and I can prove that I'm a DAR. :D
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM

I do genelogy too.

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
On my bucket list is to visit England where my ancestors lived. My geneology has been traced back to the 1500's to Upwey, England (south coastal area, I think, but I am geographically challenged so not sure). I even know what ship my 13 GGF took to Massachusettes. And I share a 7th GGF with Lucille Ball, and John Wayne is in my lineage somewhere, too. Fascinating. Here's a photo of the sheep farm. I have access to the inventory of this place in the 1500's, as well as a copy of his will. Anyone else out there interested in geneology?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM

I'm just so concerned about my swap partner! Have been trying to get in touch with her for a couple of weeks, but she's not been on the board and I don't have her address..

Am just hoping that Norbanaquilts is alright, and that she'll contact me soon... no swaps yet, til I hear from her. Prayers, please...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM

I do genealogy as well. :) Those elusive ancestors who try to hide from us.