Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
CLOSED    June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st >

CLOSED June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st

CLOSED June Secret Pal Swap Signup Ends June 1st

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

On my list is a visit to Holland to see where my ancestor came from. He sailed on the Mayflower from Holland and jumped off when it reached Plymouth, England. He travelled northto South Somerset where he became a yeoman farmer.

The family were quite well off and stayed in farming until the beginning of the WW 1 when my grandparents moved to Bristol and opened a greengrocers. My father would dig potatoes from the family farm to sell in the shop.

My father also served as a Warrent Officer in the Indian Army. He completed his service, returned to UK, found a job and joined the Territorial Army (a kind of part time army). He was in it 6 weeks when he was forced to resign as he was one of the very first callups for the British Army at the start of WW 2.

I would love to visit the states as my ancester was on his way to the New Colony and I would have had a different heritage and would now be an American!

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
On my bucket list is to visit England where my ancestors lived. My geneology has been traced back to the 1500's to Upwey, England (south coastal area, I think, but I am geographically challenged so not sure). I even know what ship my 13 GGF took to Massachusettes. And I share a 7th GGF with Lucille Ball, and John Wayne is in my lineage somewhere, too. Fascinating. Here's a photo of the sheep farm. I have access to the inventory of this place in the 1500's, as well as a copy of his will. Anyone else out there interested in geneology?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

On my bucket list is to visit England where my ancestors lived. My geneology has been traced back to the 1500's to Upwey, England (south coastal area, I think, but I am geographically challenged so not sure). I even know what ship my 13 GGF took to Massachusettes. And I share a 7th GGF with Lucille Ball, and John Wayne is in my lineage somewhere, too. Fascinating. Here's a photo of the sheep farm. I have access to the inventory of this place in the 1500's, as well as a copy of his will. Anyone else out there interested in geneology?
I have been doing genealogy for 25 - 30 years now and love it
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM

I do genealogy too! I have always thought with all the people on this board that are spread out all over the place there is probably conections right here on the board! I have thought about posting a thread on here to see how many people also do genealogy but haven't yet. Maybe we could post sir names or certain towns we need info on and see if there is a conection. lol

Well here are the pics of the wonderful package lawsonmugs sent me yesterday! I got such nice stuff. I hope the picture of the crockpot potholder is clear enough to see how cute it is. And I added a pic of my daughters calf just because we were talking about cows yesterday!

OK the pictures are not loading I will try again when I get back home. :-(
Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma
Any ideas on a fast quilt pattern that I can get done in four days?
yellow brick road
Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Ok I will try this again
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219598.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 PM

NO I have not done Yellow Brick Road or Turning Twenty. I do not believe I have those patterns. I will look them up to see what it takes to make and see if I can get them done. Thanks for the ehlp.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Somewhere down the line, Old President Clinton is in our line, however I don't claim him...LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM

I do genealogy as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Such interesting geneology stories!! I find it all fascinating how information was lost or forgotten and it's so exciting to find a new clue. My next step is to get my Grandmother's adoption records opened. She was born in 1900, and passed away in 1998. But do you think I can do this with paying attorney fees - nope!!! Who is it going to hurt NOW, I ask? To the Bill Clinton relative - lol, and that's all I dare say about it... hahaha.

I was the grateful recipient of my June swap package today - the anticipation is over - except now I get to look forward to July, right? A great big thanks to "Fayza" (don't know real name). I received 3 different fabrics, and I'm not talking FQ's, but yardage, in blues and florals which helps fill in my stash gap. And yippee - also enclosed was a tape measure with markings that I can actually read without my glasses that keep getting stonger each year. There was a beautful keychain that will go well with my new car, which now has 1023 miles on it. Let's not forget the tomato pin cushion. I need those all over the house, and this is a contribution to my sewing area next to my recliner. There are still a few empty places, but that was a welcome addition and puts me one closer. Lastly there was a zippered change/coin purse. I can "always" use those - I MUST carry all my little items around all the time and it's better to contain them rather than let them loose in the bottom of my handbag. Thanks again, Fayza. Here's the photo.

June Swap Pkg Rec'd
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219650[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219644.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 PM

PS - You are NOT going to believe this. Next to where I work is a fancy grocery store. They have a section from England, I think I mentioned. Well, I wandered in there at lunchtime today, and lo and behold, they had Flake bars. No kidding. I had no choice but to buy one. It WAS indeed, everything it was cracked up to be, BUT, it made a chocolate flakey mess on my desk!! Well worth the mess, though.. I also bought a caramel wafer bar for later, but can't recall the name. It's still at work for next Tuesday.