Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Early Bird Threads - 2011 Row Robin Group 1 >

Early Bird Threads - 2011 Row Robin Group 1

Early Bird Threads - 2011 Row Robin Group 1

Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM

If you did the corners it would look like it was "framed".....that would be an interesting look and probably speed up the process for you.

Originally Posted by jacquie
hi, i do still have 2 N/S a week, but i 'doze' in-between helping the old chap when he 'rises'. so. no sewing is happening there. i'm allowed to 'dose' as i sometimes have a small shift the next morning.
the ivy is machine stitched down, so hopefully i will be able to get it attached quite quickly. this was my first sample batch of sewing down and it didn't take me too long! i was wondering if i should have it only the corners... what do you think?? do you think it would be 'too much' if it were to go the entire way around the quilt?
mmm, not sure. have a think...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 PM

ahhh, ladies, we're all def' on the same wave length! i think corners is it!!
good job i didn't start in the middle!!
as i've stitched a stem all the way around, i think i may just put a few small ivy leaves in the middle of the top/bottom/side borders, and leave the more dense grouping of ivy leaves to the corners as we discussed. i do also plan to put the odd stem of burgundy berries here and there too.
thank you for your input ladies! it's great to be able to bounce ideas off each other! we all seem to know where we're coming from with things like this.
if i were to ask DH, he would just give me the greatest blank look possible!! lol...
Col went off to sea this morning. he'll be back in 3 weeks time, for 2 days. then he will disappear again until first week in december.
ho hum!! time to move into the sewing room!!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Just my opinion now, but I think it would look nice with the ivy just in the corners.
You know what ..... just went back and looked at Jacquie's pictures. I agree, I think just in the corners also.
My thinking is .... if the ivy leaves went all the way around - they are green (not your Autumn colors) .... they start drawing your eye away from the main portion of your quilt .... and to me starts a conflict with your main Autumn color scheme.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by RNUNU
Originally Posted by maine ladybug
Just my opinion now, but I think it would look nice with the ivy just in the corners.
You know what ..... just went back and looked at Jacquie's pictures. I agree, I think just in the corners also.
My thinking is .... if the ivy leaves went all the way around - they are green (not your Autumn colors) .... they start drawing your eye away from the main portion of your quilt .... and to me starts a conflict with your main Autumn color scheme.
I agree with Dayle. If you do the bright green all the way around, it will pull your eye away from the central design of the quilt rows.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM

thank you ladies, you're quite right about attention being taken away from the main theme. the more i looked at the ivy i had attached, (which i do like... don't get me wrong,) the more i felt it was out shining the centre.
i've had another little idea...
(uhh ohhh... i hear you sigh!!) lol... :D
i would mirror the ivy in the other diagonal corner, and the 2 other corners group autumn foliage similar to the patterned fabric patti used...
my mind seems to be constantly ticking!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM

That sounds better. You could just leave it at the 2 corners. A quilt doesn't have to have a symetrical(sp)design.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM

Jacquie, let me throw another idea at you. And feel free to completely ignore it all. IMHO if you sent it to me as it is I would continue a few green leanves up the roght side, and then slowly change the color of the leaves to your autumn reds and browns. Leaving the green in the lower right corner only. Just a thought.
By the way it is looking sensational.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 AM

no... i do like that!!
clever thinking! (your HO was great!!)
so, between us all we have a plan!
i like it that your ideas are carrying on into the finalising of this quilt, as it is 'our quilt' with a bit of linda too!
that's what i call tea work!!
thanks ladies!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 AM

I was just thinking, I don't think I have seen pictures of the finished quilts from Joan, Dayle or Betty. If you posted the pictures, I forgot. Will you post again, please?
Health, Wealth, and Love to all. Happy New Year, may 2012 fulfill your wildest dreams!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM

I posted a picture of the finished top a long time ago. I haven't quilted it yet though, so, no pictures of it completed. Do you want to see the top again?

See page 69.

Last edited by maine ladybug; 01-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.