Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
ELISABRAT's FALL  or HALLOWEEN TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!! >

ELISABRAT's FALL or HALLOWEEN TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!!

ELISABRAT's FALL or HALLOWEEN TABLERUNNER/TABLE MAT SWAP!!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:50 PM

Aaaahhhhh!!! So, some family should be banned from contacting me, like EVER! Had a cousin message me on Facebook that I never talk to. Christmas card only relationship here. She said a little birdy told her I make quilts. Really??? You never see my pictures??? So I responded that I do. So, she goes on this long story about how she REALLY wants one for Christmas. She said her husband priced around and got a custom quote of $450. I should have left it alone...I should of walked away...however, I didn't. I engaged her further. What was I thinking?!?!? I responded with what size and what are you thinking? Now, this was more to see if the price was a good one or if I should tell her to keep shopping around. Her response actually made me shake my head and if someone would make it for $450 do it!!! Her response, "We'll, I want a good size...at least a twin...just fleur de lis and warm colors. The (last name) Family maybe in the middle. I've never had one before so I don't know what to say. Lol. Something like this but with fleur de lis and our family name in the center. And I like warm reds, teals, browns and tans." The picture is just a patchwork quilt. --For not know what she wants, she is VERY specific. My thought. That $450 is a great price if they find the fabs you want. My response, "Fleur de lis fabric is REALLY hard to find. With the embroidery in the middle, the price for the custom quilt is actually really reasonable." She goes on to tell me she has heard of a shop 2 hours from her that she has heard carries fleur de lis fabric that she could check out for me. I told her, "Fabric runs about $12-15/yard right now. I've been collecting fleur de lis fabric for 3 years and don't have enough for a quilt. Having specific colors for the fleur de lis makes it even harder to find. I don't have any in those colors that you want nor have I seen them." Now I know I exaggerated the price per yard a little, but not much. This set her back a bit. I got, "Hmmmm....Well maybe just have them around the embroiderd center piece. What colors do u have." Ok, so MY mistake for telling her I've been collecting them for 3 years and not saying that they are for a quilt for myself. I take responsibility for that one. I called my mom and together came up with a response to get me out of making this quilt. My response to her was, "Right now I don't feel I have the time or the skill level to complete what you wants and would be happy with. At this time I just can't do it. I work full time and having a 3 year old and being VP of our civic club I don't have a lot of time to make them right now anyways." I went about my night working on my stash organizing and cleaning. Once I finished I hopped on Facebook to check in and got a response from her...it floored me..."Sorry to take up your time. Didnt mean to bother you." Really?!?!? Didn't mean to bother me...REALLY?!?!? So now here it is almost 2am, I'm still up fuming and I have to call mom in the morning to fill her in to prepare for if my aunt calls because I wouldn't do this for her darling granddaughter. My mother-in-law told me to tell her to go buy the fabric, take a class and make it herself. So...anyone else have family that just doesn't understand ALL that we put into this?!?!?

Sorry for the rant...now tomorrow I'm washing my batiks and going to start cutting this runner out as well as 2 baby quilts.

Quilty hugs and love! Going to try and sleep.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:54 AM

people are amazing aren't they? those who don't quilt do not have any idea of the time and energy that goes into the making of these things let alone the love. If your not feeling it do not do it. See how easy that is!

Its a beautiful morning here in Cody Wyoming. I absolutely am in love with this area. It was such a terrific move. Did I mention my DH got a job!!! Thanks to Jaba she told someone she knows he was looking the guy said call him and next thing you know he is starting work on Monday. I couldn't be happier. Now I wont have to throw him over the bridge right at the end of the road.. its sooo close to. lol. We went for killer Chinese with Jan and Bill last night, had a great monster margarita before hand.. and came home feeling like an over stuffed turkey! wish I had some leftovers for breakfast! guess its fried rice making time tonight. I want more! I have just a couple things to do this morning its cleaning day, a quick run to the market and then sewing! What are you working on today ladies?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 AM

I don't have family like this, but I'm so thankful that I can be blunt with my best friend. She sends me links to things all the time "could you make this?" Well yeah, I probably could, but most of what she sends me are clothes, and that's not my thing. I mean, I feel comfortable making pillowcase dresses and bloomers, but that's about the extent of it. Most of the time I just end up telling her that I wouldn't know where to find a pattern in her daughter's size, even though I know I probably have one on my pintrest boards for baby sizes. Well, here comes my potential downfall: her brother and SIL are having a baby, due on Thanksgiving. I'm wondering how many outfits she's going to go look at on my kid's clothes board and want now. I put those pins on there for when I'm feeling adventurous in the future, maybe for a grandchild who if it doesn't fit right, it won't matter so much. I am about to make a car seat quilt and a baby blanket for her though. Of course, she gets the best friend discount. Her brother & SIL are very sweet people, so I'm going to look at it as 1 of the two pieces if my shower gift for them and only charge her for the materials for the other one because of who it's for. But, she does things for me too, so I don't feel bad about doing it this way.

I went yesterday and learned how to use the embroidery feature on my new machine, so today is a sew-a-rama day! I'm planning to find fabrics for this swap next weekend in Atlanta, so that means I can work on some other projects today. My skin condition is much better now, but I am finally being sent to the dermatologist on Thursday. That saga is another long, tear-filled story. It's hard to get relief when you're constantly told your condition isn't bad enough for them to be worried with it. 30 years of them being undecided what it is from one doctor's visit to the next (dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema) combined with other things in my life have really made it take its toll on me. I got my new machine & haven't really used it much because it's been bad on my hands again. But, as long as I have to work full time, stress will continue to perpetuate the cycle.

Well, I'm off to finish clearing out my email box and then it's sewing time!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 AM

dustysmomma any chance you can go to part time work? do you have to work full time? or take a leave of absence from the daily work world. Obviously you have skills that make you very employable. quit. Sometimes one has to look at the value of the dollar vs the value of health and sanity. You only live once. It would be lovely if you could find some freedom in your day and some pleasure also to go with it. Hugs girl you will find the help you need. have faith
Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Sorry about my rant. I'm just tired of people not realizing how much work, time and money is spent on supplies. I'm going to blame my long lasting pissiness on hubby eating the last of the chocolate. I'm better today. Got donuts for breakfast.

Dustymomma i hope things get easier for you and you can be ready with the no word.

Going to pull out fabric and start cutting soon. Maybe I can get most of a baby quilt top done today. Quilty hugs!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 AM

I wish. I'll PM you Elisabrat...
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Morning Brat- glad you got to have a great dinner. Love your sewing space. Mine is spread between the kitchen and livingroom -moved the round table to the sunporch. Put up two four foot tables in the kitchen. Ironing board is in the livingroom so I can get some exercise walking back and forth- LOL. Also, the spray starch and sizing makes the tile floor in the kitchen way too slippery. Had a room to myself, but the grandkids came along

Dustysmomma- so sorry you have to deal with the skin stuff. It is amazing how long it takes to get some medical professionals to listen and act. Not bashing them, they are busy and can't know everything, but some are better at being detectives than others. Hope you can get some relief soon and get back to the fun stuff. I also understand about the not being able to not work. I finally was able to retire last December. Makes for tight months, but the stress relief is worth it.
Clothes for kids may not be your favorite, but you could do some burp cloths or maybe a patchwork bib or two- uses up a few scraps and doesn't take long.

Yosamitesa- saying "no" is an option and a good one sometimes. Just as we learn how to say no, someone comes along and tries to burst the bubble of confidence and honesty and make us feel bad. Well poo to them . You just keep on keeping on being your great self.

Last edited by sapdoggie; 08-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM

Now who is bringing the CHOCOLATE to go with the fabric viewing ???? No touching or petting though !!!!!

Loving the fall colors. It has been raining here in AR but got some sunshine yesterday.

Heard there was SNOW on Pikes Peak yesterday

I had best get on to my baby quilts for the day. I must get them finished so I can pull out the fall fabrics.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Wow....I had a good 5 pages to read to "catch up".. Thank you so much Karen and Brat for clue-ing me into the great pictures of table runners! Where to start - so many are fantastic and keeps my mind reeling. I haven't even begin to dig into my stash to see what I do and do not have, but fall colors are my favorites, you would think I must have a FEW! Would also be anxious to know what would be your favorite, a "traditional" or a more "modern" in pattern and colors.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM

My best friend, who is an only child, says she loves being able to "pick" her family. (without all of the kinship drama)
Good for you speaking up and not giving in, for the sake of family Yo.
My adult niece, who I love dearly has asked for a quilt, I told her eventually I would do one for her but, I had to feel it, be inspired first I'm getting there. A cousin, much like yours Yo asked me to fashion a Christmas quilt for his family, they would "pay" for it. $60.00 should be enough right? UM NO!

Sad to hear of all the aches and pains. It is so awful to not feel ourselves. I am such a wimp that a little thing like poking my finger at work leaves me off for a few days. I'm not a good patient.

On an exciting note UFO night was really successful. I squared all 120 blocks for my Kaffe Gemstones quilt and got all of the rows put together! 11 seams and I am finished with the top, sans borders. It is beautiful! Hope Hubby will enjoy it as much as me. This one is going on our bed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429725[/ATTACH]

This is a pic of it before sewing the rows. It will finish king size for our queen size bed.
Attached Thumbnails img_0433.jpg  

Last edited by tlambing; 08-11-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling