Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Elisabrat's Summer Fun! Table Runner/Table Mat Swap SIGN UPS CLOSE MAY 5th

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I don't really think it's because they don't like them, landlords have just had to do so many repairs and fixes from them. So many of the rental ads say No Pets and they really mean it! Being a landlord of 4 apts. I can tell you some tenants are way better than others, we've had to replace blinds, curtains, window seals and carpets. The reason I don't do cats is because of the allergies when they move I go clean. Can't rent 1 to the brat, mine are all full but I'm looking very hard to try to find one.

I am allergic to kitties and of course Jayla asks for one EVERYDAY. It was never a problem finding a place when I was single with my little 5 lb dog, but it would be now with Jed my English Mastiff that weighs 180#. I hope it all works our for you Brat!!!!!

Saga of the Table Runner

First I should say that I am learning FMQ'ing and every project becomes a practice victim...lol. So on to the saga: I was waiting for the little TR to "talk" to me about how it wanted to be quilted. It finally did. It said: "Stop being a big chicken and just quilt me." So I did, sort of....Part way through the little TR talked to me again. It said: " Stop, stop....are you kidding me? You are really blowing it." And I was....the FMQ was a total disaster, I was not quite as skilled as my imagination wanted to be. But don't worry pbadder, I ripped it all out, started over and the little TR gave a big sigh of relief. Binding is ready to be sewn down. Funny, once that binding is on, the projects just become silent....kind of like installing a zipper on their mouths....lol
    Last edited by Marich52; 05-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    sikesjj wrote you back, didn't get any of your message to me???
    Marich52, now that I have quit laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my cheeks, that's kind of the way I feel when I look at the 1st quilts I ever quilted. Damn things should have talked to me and I would have stopped, did they, no! I still have a couple though, reminds me what NOT to do. Thanks for sharing, it's going to be beautiful....

This is why the 'brat' does NOT FMQ. Good old stitch in the ditch for me! and not even good sometimes more like stitch in approximation of the ditch I read on the quilt for quilters post someone had quilted half their quilt it was going beautifully then she got a hold of the backside it was all eyelashing.. she had to pluck it all out. omg. talk about a nightmare. I took out a 60 inch seam once and I was not a happy camper.. half a quilt. you guys are patient. that would have made my trash heap with a lot of noise while it was going.

Well we have three weeks now to finish cleaning boxing and moving everything into Jaba's house. Two day drive hauling a uhaul and CATS (oh yeah I said I wanted them so shush up) and its plenty of time to do what needs done but the problem is.. the good man is home with me those entire three weeks. oh dear. I wonder if we will do well with that. He was layed of four years ago and home for a month and well.. its a lot of days at home is all I will say.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Two day drive hauling a uhaul and CATS.
    They make Dramamine for animals. Better to have it & not need it than to need it and be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way to get your hands on any. I think you can even buy it at Big R or other farm supply stores.
    Mischief Managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marich52 View Post
    First I should say that I am learning FMQ'ing and every project becomes a practice victim...lol. So on to the saga: I was waiting for the little TR to "talk" to me about how it wanted to be quilted. It finally did. It said: "Stop being a big chicken and just quilt me." So I did, sort of....Part way through the little TR talked to me again. It said: " Stop, stop....are you kidding me? You are really blowing it." And I was....the FMQ was a total disaster, I was not quite as skilled as my imagination wanted to be. But don't worry pbadder, I ripped it all out, started over and the little TR gave a big sigh of relief. Binding is ready to be sewn down. Funny, once that binding is on, the projects just become silent....kind of like installing a zipper on their mouths....lol
    Whatever you come up with is fine with me. I started yours need to do the appliqueing than can put on the borders. You said you liked bright color and that is what you are going to get. No preview pictures yet. Maybe a sneak peek picture later. Just do whatever you are comfortable with I know that I'll love it no matter what.

Today I went to a "new" LQS looking for the backing for the runner. The "new" LQS had one of those measurers that attaches to the cutting desk and you run the fabric through watching the dial counter, when the correct amount is measured a knob is pressed, a cut is made and then the person finishes cutting the fabric. When was the last time you have seen one of these? I had not seen one of those measurers since I was with my mom and she was buying fabric. Unfortunately, the memories it bought back were the best part of the shop. The shop did make me thankful for my home shop. My runner top is finished, but I'm still on the hunt for the perfect backing.

I get applique AND bright colors! Yippee....I can hardly wait. I did do FMQ'ing....it's not the best but it isn't the worst either...I must be in the middle of the learning curve...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbadder View Post
    Whatever you come up with is fine with me. I started yours need to do the appliqueing than can put on the borders. You said you liked bright color and that is what you are going to get. No preview pictures yet. Maybe a sneak peek picture later. Just do whatever you are comfortable with I know that I'll love it no matter what.

When we moved, a two day trip, we had a big and little dog and a cat. We had a large kennel that allowed us to put a litter box in the back, food up front and a nice bed in the middle for the cat. I was so afraid the cat would escape if we had to let it out of anything I didn't want to risk it. The dogs rode free on the seat and I don't think the cat ever forgave them.

I am avoiding scrubbing my oven. la la la maybe it will clean itself. Steve just injured his lower leg think he pulled, strained, tore a muscle. he is unable to put any weight on it so momma here is putting ice on it, getting the advil, offered to take him in to the doctors no way no how.. so fine. I guess maybe cleaning the oven is a good idea after all. I did get my two big ugly dead couches out of here and off to the dump. yahooooo... I need to work on a center medallion for a round robin.. still undecided on the fabrics but think I should just wing it before its too late. You should see my house.. omg what a disaster zone. ugh. packing boxes paper, things lots of things all moved into my livingroom and dining room the rest is mostly empty. its so not home like at all. good thing disalienate this place from my heart so there is oodles of room to love the new one its going to be a seriously grand adventure. my last big hurrah.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Oh my! couches finally gone, that's what did his leg, but so worth it. That wasn't very nice, sorry. Ready for your grand adventure! Did I or have I ever told you how glad I am that you are moving here. Love you to death miss brat, that's all I can say. If I would have ever had a sister, I would have hoped she was just like you

Blog Entries
    my table runner is ready to mail... my partner wrote that she will be mailing right after her vacation, so all seems well on the road to completion for us two. jacie

I have found the perfect fabric, washed it, pressed it, now it is on the cutting table to be cut. I have been in way too much pain today to get much accomplished. I hate it when it is hard to breath.......due to my ribs feeling like they are caving in. But all in all it is a good reminder that I am alive and have to a take it easy when the pain is this bad.

Elisabrat......you take care and do what you need to. DH's can be stubborn on everything.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    I am avoiding scrubbing my oven. la la la maybe it will clean itself. Steve just injured his lower leg think he pulled, strained, tore a muscle. he is unable to put any weight on it so momma here is putting ice on it, getting the advil, offered to take him in to the doctors no way no how.. so fine. I guess maybe cleaning the oven is a good idea after all. I did get my two big ugly dead couches out of here and off to the dump. yahooooo... I need to work on a center medallion for a round robin.. still undecided on the fabrics but think I should just wing it before its too late. You should see my house.. omg what a disaster zone. ugh. packing boxes paper, things lots of things all moved into my livingroom and dining room the rest is mostly empty. its so not home like at all. good thing disalienate this place from my heart so there is oodles of room to love the new one its going to be a seriously grand adventure. my last big hurrah.
    It will get better. Oven cleaning was never my favorite even though I had a self-cleaning one. Never used that option. We spent most of the weekend cleaning out our double garage which was PACKED. All the shelving collapsed -- we took 4 1/2 feet of water in there -- so there was a huge mess. The adjuster was supposed to have inventoried it all and photographed it but he didn't and a lot of stuff was tossed out. So we fired him and now he is suing us. *sigh* Always an adventure. Yesterday we took the dogs with us and it was so heartbreaking because they were scratching at the back door to get in.

Here is a SMALL section of the mess -- which is covered with inches of mold.

Name:  Interior small.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  75.0 KB

Anyway ... working on applique for my partner's runner. Better than digging in mold!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Ah dear Krystyna, my heart goes out to you. One box at a time, one bit to the dump at a time, I think you would have to turn numb while working on stuff like that. It would be easier than feeling.

Jan I feel the same way.. if I could have ever picked a sister you would have been it. As I grow a bit older I find I am enjoying truly the companionship of a real friend. When I was younger, you need them, then life changed and I need my husband and my children and life got so busy you had friends but more social it was easier now I am settling in and I think how much more empty it would be without you. Love you BIG SIS

I am getting so many wonderful updates on your runners zipping around fabrics! designs! progress!! (make the brat happy tell her you have progress) and this is such a fun vibrant swap a good way to make tiny quilts to share with each other. And the friendships you make along the way are not so bad either. For me they are of tremendous value so talk it up ladies !
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Krystyna, so sad that life is so hard for you. Must be hard to deal with mold and crappy adjusters. One day at a time and the same to you Linda. Hope DH gets better soon. Moving is no fun at any age. I figure I have two more moves to go. One to a smaller no maintenace type place and then to the nursing home. Hope neither will be for some years down the road. As to my runner which turned into a topper...I have to say that this was a challenge but surprisingly, it turned out really well, I think. Not too sure if it looks like fireworks or not but that was the intention. Working with not so bright colors was certainly not my thing. Got it all quilted today and have to cut out binding and get that sewn on and it will be ready to mail off, hopefully by a week from today. (Other things going on this week...like mow the lawn etc.) Hope MamaH likes it. Excited to see what everyone comes up with. This month will go by fast as they all seem to anymore.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

ok getting marvelous news left and right on runners finished ready to mail! yahooooo.. I thought since my partner is not in this swap I would show you my pics of the quilt for quilters quilt (lots of q's there) I made. I made the top, Jaba quilted it, I bound it and now its off to its new owner. I absolutely love the way it turned out. its square 60x 60 so here I go brag away.. she by the way wanted a quilt that has POP of color and she loved jewel tones.. hope this works for my pal!
    Name:  finished frog pond.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  681.2 KB Name:  center finished frog pond.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  711.0 KB
    Linda

So sorry Elisabrat that DH is in pain. I agree one day at a time.

That is horrible Krystyna. Prayers coming your way.

I am still hand quilting. Hope to be adding the binding this week end. I'll keep you posted.

Blog Entries
    Brat, that jeweltone quilt is simply fabulous. What a lucky partner. I do not know how so many of you can get so many quilts done in such a short time. I am lucky if I get two done a year. Guess my life is filled with too many other things but that is good.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    I love the quilt Linda, it is beautiful! I wish I could come down and help you pack, but maybe you can drive through Oregon? No? What do you mean it isn't on the way LOL...

Krystyn I am so sorry that on top of the problems with the storm, you have to deal with Jerks too!

My Table Topper is ready to mail, I need to post a sneak Peek. I finally found the new camera, and was going to take a picture but then realized the package is in my sisters car! We went shopping today and I showed her and my Mom the TT and they both now want one! Mom has no use for one that big but I think I might make her a smaller version for her front door. She is in an Assisted living facility and like to decorate her door with my creations.

Wow it is after 1 AM time for me to get off computer, put away the sewing and go to bed! If I leave the Kindle in the living room I might even get some sleep!

Good Night Ladies~
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

I've been quiet for a bit, so I thought I'd jump in here before someone thought I died, lol. I finally decided on a design for my runner & got most of it cut out. My sewing machine has been "acting out" a bit lately, so I'm hoping when I start sewing in the next couple days that it will behave for me doing straight stitching. I've decided to do a block I've done before in another project, so I'm thinking it should go pretty smoothly. Fingers crossed.

I got my new animal applique book in the mail the other day, which I've been SO excited about, and it was so tempting to throw something small on this project, even just the name tag on the back for fun, until I tried to applique 2 blocks for my home decor project and had to rip it out 4 times...each. Now I'm thinking that I'm going to have to resort to sewing machine shopping before I do any more applique.

love my brother csi got it at Walmart for about 200.00 six months payment no interest, well worth it! it does applique just fine 70 stupid stitches (who uses all those?) and well its a good basic machine. not great for quilting super thick batting, does better with the thin stuff.

Thanks Sandy! I love it too It was a fun project to see come to life, just picked two patterns from About quilting and then .. just prayed! lol.. for me it was oh please dont go away points and please match up and measure up and .. they did. Jan did a wonderful job making swirls like I asked for when she quilted it. I so wanted more than stitchin the off ditch for it after all the work I put into it and well I am so pleased. Now onto the next one. I need a medallion or center block that is pieced, 24" and goes with a 'cabin' theme quilt any ideas let me know its for my Round robin that is starting in July so I had best make it asap!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    love my brother csi got it at Walmart for about 200.00 six months payment no interest, well worth it! it does applique just fine 70 stupid stitches (who uses all those?) and well its a good basic machine. not great for quilting super thick batting, does better with the thin stuff.

Thanks Sandy! I love it too It was a fun project to see come to life, just picked two patterns from About quilting and then .. just prayed! lol.. for me it was oh please dont go away points and please match up and measure up and .. they did. Jan did a wonderful job making swirls like I asked for when she quilted it. I so wanted more than stitchin the off ditch for it after all the work I put into it and well I am so pleased. Now onto the next one. I need a medallion or center block that is pieced, 24" and goes with a 'cabin' theme quilt any ideas let me know its for my Round robin that is starting in July so I had best make it asap!
    Have you ever looked at some of the PA Dutch Hex Signs they put on their barns? These would make a really pretty centerpiece.

AzKAT

There's a tutorial on the board for a Carpenter's square if you're still looking for some ideas.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast