Fall 2016 I Spy Swap

Old 11-10-2016, 05:21 PM

Received a lot of squares today -

Bullock2us
bonniekeller81
mmonohon
mjpencinitas
all2pieces

Haven't opened them yet - we had a hectic day. Had our mini schnauzer at vet bright and early. Picked him up and met with vet, then went to see a friend who had double knee replacemet a few weeks ago. As I was leaving there husband called to pick him up from ER - after 43 years of being in all phases of the consntruction industry, he decided to try to cut off his thumb with a table saw - after retirinng. He was working on some cabinetry for a friend who has a cabinet shop and did somethig he told our son he knew better than doing it. Went to the bone, and left a kerf from the saw blade as it fractured the bone.

I cut my right forefinger badly 5 weeks ago today - so we are becoming frequent visitors to the ER - they used to know be by first name when our kids were home - went too many times to count. Dropped his RX by pharmacy and when I picked it up - it was for a type of drug he is allergic too - even after he told them twice about his multple drug allergies. At least the pharmacist, who knows me, called and after our 3 way conversation, got him something he can take.

Whew! just re-telling it tired me out - it doesn't take much to do that these days. My finger is still really sore and iI have put off cutting my squares - need to get on that soon. Dug through my tote and pulled out fabric - haven't counted to see if I pulled enough yet - some is scraps from another swap group I am in. Hope tomorrow is less exxciting. My dog is stll "drunk" - he is just laying on a pillow on my husbands lap, taking advantage of his "trauma". Because of his sensitivity to the aesthesia the last time he was sedated, the dr cut it way down, but 12 hours later, he still is feeling no pain.

Have a good night and thank you for mailing your packages!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:23 PM

I like the idea of matching squares - I do have some repeats and this would be a great way to use them.

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;7696639]I usually just sew my squares together with no sashing. I like the "chaotic" look. This one is a "find the pairs" I Spy, with two of each print scattered throughout. It's an 8 x 10 layout (80 squares of 40 pairs) and comes out about 37 x 47" after binding.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Gosh, so sorry about all the fingers and doggie surgery! Too much excitement for one day. I remember being called from work when my hubby had put his hand into the radiator fan in his bulldozer. Of course he knew better. His hand was mangled and we all were traumatized. But we survive, don't we? And laugh about it one day.

Hope all of you are feeling much better very soon.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 PM

http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...ring-nine.html

I made this one, but I got stuck after completing the top. I planned to stitch in the ditch, but the quilting forum said that would not be enough quilting for a play quilt that would be washed multiple times and that I should quilt an X across the charm. (I bought the 10" batting) I really didn't want to do that. They said after it was washed, no one would notice one way or the other.

How did you quilt it?

bkay
Old 11-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Looking at the pic of the backside of her quilt, it is quilted in the ditch around the square and along the white borders. I think that would be enough. But I haven't made it myself - just keep looking at the pic and admiring it!

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...ring-nine.html

I made this one, but I got stuck after completing the top. I planned to stitch in the ditch, but the quilting forum said that would not be enough quilting for a play quilt that would be washed multiple times and that I should quilt an X across the charm. (I bought the 10" batting) I really didn't want to do that. They said after it was washed, no one would notice one way or the other.

How did you quilt it?

bkay
Old 11-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Another swapper added -

Rbwiese – 16 bags
Sleepy Hollow – 16 bags - received
Jannie – 16 bags - received
Bullock2us – 16 bags- received
Irene C. – 16 bags
Clmay – 16 bags – received - received
Moonrise – 16 bags - received
Quiltingdragon – 16 bags -received
Mmonohon – 16 bags - received
Jane Quilter – 16 bags - received
bonniekeller81 – 16 bags - received
All2pieces – 16 bags - received
lum - 16 bags
pinkflowers - 16 bags - received
mjpEncinitas - 8 bags - received
sewbizgirl - 16 bags
Bkay – 16 bags
Old 11-12-2016, 02:23 PM

I love this idea of matching I Spy. I have three stacks of I spy squares in which each square has a match. The third stack does not have many matched squares yet, but the first two are ready to go, I think. Thank you for the quantity of squares and finished quilt measurements. That helps with my planning!

For the singles (un-matched squares), I have an idea of laying them out like a road. ...maybe like a candyland game.

Not sure yet....
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pinkflowers View Post
I love this idea of matching I Spy. I have three stacks of I spy squares in which each square has a match. The third stack does not have many matched squares yet, but the first two are ready to go, I think. Thank you for the quantity of squares and finished quilt measurements. That helps with my planning!

For the singles (un-matched squares), I have an idea of laying them out like a road. ...maybe like a candyland game.

Not sure yet....
If you want pairs, maybe you can arrange with rbwiese to send you some duplicate bags... if there are enough so that no one else ends up with pairs. Just an idea.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:00 PM

"For the singles (un-matched squares), I have an idea of laying them out like a road. ...maybe like a candyland game. "

I think I have seen one laid out like this - will search my bookmarks and see if I can find it.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:22 PM

oh you lucky ducks with duplicates. I am struggling to find enough. I have already started a new storage box for the NEXT I spy swap