February POM

Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 AM

I've mailed my coasters to JuneBillie today!! Hopefully by Saturday. They are going Priority, but I have no faith in the post office! And it really surprised me when I saw the cost. The postal service sure did raise rates! I do all my mailing using the print and pay option, so I think I received a discount?? It's not much but it does help.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 AM

I loved the print &pay online option for mailing, but you have to pay for priority mail. I dragged myself to the post office (5 blocks, big deal) and saved $11.00. As Lynnie said, that's a yard of snazzy fabric.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:42 AM

I stand corrected!! There is no longer a discount for pay and print. What it does do is save a trip to the post office. I tend to use flat rate boxes or envelopes. The small Priority Mail boxes or flat rate envelope is now $6.80, before the prices went up, I paid $5.60. And I mail from work, so it's convenient. However, after I retire, I'll probably be at the post office more often.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

is it me and my cynical view on the PO, because they always lie to me, but is the service getting more expensive and less speedy. Remember the po man, Mr Speedy. What happened to mail going from one location to 20 miles down the road getting there in less than 3 days??? I SNE PHOTOS TO va ON Tuesday. TOLD THEY'D BE THERE BY Saturday.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Looking forward to seeing pics!
Tlambing,
Thanks for keeping the swap the same. I haven't been able to participate lately, but I'm hoping to jump back in soon. I think giving the whole month makes it where everyone who wants to can participate. Some people work full-time or have younger kids at home, or both...lol. Even those of us who are retired or work part-time/PRN outside the home sometimes need extra time.
For me it takes me forever to choose my pattern and fabrics. I spend more time on those things than I ever have choosing an outfit! Lol.
Once I have everything picked it's pretty fast from there. However some people are fast choosers and leisurely sewers. If we were all the same it would be a boring world!

Lynnie,
Since you're "SQG" Speedy Quilter Gal, maybe you could hostess a twice monthly swap? I'm not sure how starting a swap works, but I think you'd be great at it!

Regards all,
K

PS Hi JuneBillie!!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I am still working on mine tonight. I just have to sew around them. I was delayed yesterday, because I wasn't feeling well. With the autoimmune stuff, it lets me know when I will finish something instead of the other way around. I am still trying to accept that. I am never late on my projects though, but have cancelled one when there was a death in the family. Life happens of course, but I am not going to ignore a family member that I love or a close friend over a tiny project to race as fast as I can go. I also love the process of it all. That is where I get my pleasure of it from too as others have said.

I actually left quicker than I would have another swap that I enjoyed due to some ready to send so fast that I didn't now what was expected anymore. Not only was the fun taken out, but I felt like if I didn't have enough goodies to build it up really good then I wasn't wanted on there. We all have different levels of income, that is just fine, but it's when some will go on about one person's swap being a really good package due to all the extra's then I feel like well I guess mine wasn't then.

I often wonder how many good folks have looked around, and seen the swaps thinking they would be fun, and then see all that extra stuff and just go on there way, because they have 6 kids and maybe can't afford too.

I rarely say much, so this is my 2cents for once.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM

My partner gets her package tomorrow, according to post office. Can't wait!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
I am still working on mine tonight. I just have to sew around them. I was delayed yesterday, because I wasn't feeling well. With the autoimmune stuff, it lets me know when I will finish something instead of the other way around. I am still trying to accept that. I am never late on my projects though, but have cancelled one when there was a death in the family. Life happens of course, but I am not going to ignore a family member that I love or a close friend over a tiny project to race as fast as I can go. I also love the process of it all. That is where I get my pleasure of it from too as others have said.

I actually left quicker than I would have another swap that I enjoyed due to some ready to send so fast that I didn't now what was expected anymore. Not only was the fun taken out, but I felt like if I didn't have enough goodies to build it up really good then I wasn't wanted on there. We all have different levels of income, that is just fine, but it's when some will go on about one person's swap being a really good package due to all the extra's then I feel like well I guess mine wasn't then.

I often wonder how many good folks have looked around, and seen the swaps thinking they would be fun, and then see all that extra stuff and just go on there way, because they have 6 kids and maybe can't afford too.

I rarely say much, so this is my 2cents for once.
Susan, thank you so much for sharing your feelings. Your words are wise and also encouraging. I have been guilty of "over-gifting"and never really thought about how that could end up creating feelings of someone being unworthy because they did not get OR give a lot. That is terrible.

For me, I have lived a long time and have acquired so much fabric/notions etc... that I just loved sending out some of the bounty to my partners. I also love to send small things that represent my geographical area.

I just participated in a swap where it was required NOT to send extras (unless a card or poem) and I found that not having the (self imposed) pressure to over-do was quite reassuring to me. I was able to concentrate on my set of six coasters. Though I had to fight really HARD not to create a fabric basket to put them in because that would be extra! lol

At any rate, I ask the forgiveness of anyone I might have made feel pressured to produce more than they were able. That was certainly never my intent.

Deb
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Deb you are fine. You always do a great job and it's seen you just love adding things that mean a lot from you. I guess I am mostly talking about those who might give the impression with their words that someone else has done less. You are great. I am not always good with my words of what I am trying to express.

It's just one of those things as with the getting our name one day and the next some wanting to know what's next as if this month is over. I agree with the idea that those like Lynnie and Dotty would make great hostesses for a twice monthly swap, and then they could work on a couple at the same time. Also, since they get done quickly they would have the time for a twice monthly swap for something keeping up with the names etc.

Hugs
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Well said JuneBillie...
Patches,
I've probably been 1 who's an "over gifter". I'm like you in that I have so much that I could never use it all. And I honestly never thought I hope my pkg is seen as "the best". It's always good to take a step back and see how others perceive stuff. As long as it's polite and constructive I don't get offended. I'd honestly rather know.
As we're being honest, I have worried my quilting or project may not be good enough and people may look at what I made and think, "hope I'm never HER partner". But I also know those feelings are feelings I put on myself. We can all only do our best.
As I've said before, when I join a swap I know upfront I may get something from someone who's a newbie. I'm a far cry from an expert. And we were all newbies at one time. I don't think I'll ever get past newbie stage on fmq!! So different skill levels are just fine. If they weren't I'd know not to sign myself up, eh??..
Or if I get something from a house with smokers, I don't complain...as that's part of the deal on a swap. Same as people who don't have pets getting items from people who do have pets. I myself don't have any, but if I receive anything that causes an allergy to my Mom (cancer survivor, she's only got 1 lung) or my hubby (has MS) then I wash it by hand.
The only time I would ever say anything is IF I didn't get my swap item. Then I would pm the hostess. Or I think I would. In all these years I think there's been twice something like that happened. I recall debating saying anything, but I knew it wouldn't be fair to future swappers if I didn't privately let the hostess know.
I do these swaps as a stress RELIEVER not to cause MORE stress.
Regards all,
Kif