Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013

Blog Entries
    but it's great when you have friends to help! our last move was a nightmare! i told my dh when we move back to texas we're selling everything and getting in the car with the prevailing pets and going! of course, that was before i started quilting! and building a stash for the millenium! now we'll have to hire a truck afterall! might as well keep the bed mom and dad made, and the wall units they made, and the g'mother clock they made! dang, we're going to end up not leaving anything! oh, yeah, and the new leather sectional...... just call for the darn truck and a bunch of muscle boys! oooo oo oo, brat! maybe the burrito boys will come move you!!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I started a yahoo group called QuiltsofLove for anyone wanting to join the effort of quilts for the Moore victims. Everytime I log on I have more people wanting to join the effort, my heart is so full. I have volunteers to quilt if you just have tops or blocks. If you don't want to join the group, you can PM me and I will send you my mailing address. Lv2sew2011 is coming over today, she lives in Moore and the tornado passed 1 1/2 from her house, but we are going to quilt. Im excited! I will try to take a few pictures.

Brat; I will keep you in my prayers that they have a seat for you!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quiltsoflove/

If you are participating with QuiltsofLove and need an extension on your deadline, please PM me. This is a very worthy cause and I would hate to see anyone who would like to help pass it by because of swap obligations.

I saw through equilter.com there is another group large group also bringing quilts and belongings to people in moore on June 27th. They are going to get a tremendous outpouring of love I think. I watched a woman on tv who l ost her home in 99 to a tornado now lost it again she was elderly and all she said was the good Lord takes care of her. wow. She will rebuild. I am humbled by things like that. I whine and groan about moving. At least i have my things to move. How lucky is that? Today I will finish the livingroom. I hate packing glass vases and such you just hope they make it to the next destination. Oh and if money grew on trees? I would sit and point and letsome muscle bound burrito eating man with a quilt on his shoulder move my stuff you betcha! no money trees so its me and .. me. Like I said Steve can physically move things no trouble he would devistate my things if I let him pack. shove it in a box its good rocks next to glass next to figurines.. oh yeah and they should be fine.. oh no... nope he is not packing. lol good man horrible bull in a china shop. energy? where are you?????

last note to bore the heck out of you: they have a chair! they also want one months notice to registrar. we wont have that. we get 3 days to 2 weeks to get out depending on the board. Politics galore here. Three say let him go, three say no president wont make the last vote he is abstaining. So either the three push one of the others to vote with them or July which is my bet one of those three is running for the presidents position and bringing her friend to fill hers (no one else is running) there are four votes. we go. She seems to want her own managment company to run the park. let her. she can have it. but we need to be laid off first. or no unemployment while we figure out life again for the zillionth time. I cant really even help with the move. I cant lift a thing. but I am ok not hiring good looking calendar boys but there are a couple here in town who will help load the truck for 10.00 an hour. good with me. last place we had it all loaded in 3 hours so should work. now to find them in Wyoming to unload!!! (now they had best have some good old rodeo boys who want an extra buck in their tight jeans, cowboy hats, oh yeah...)
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Good news about the chair Brat - I'm so happy for you; that is one less burden on your plate right now -

Oh how lazy am I - I received the nicest pillow covers and matching table runner from jaba; I actually received it over a week ago and said I would post photos - haven't gotten around to the picture taking yet but I think I was the first one on the thread to receive their package. I found a Yellow Brick Road quilt that I made several years ago - binding is made - it just needs attaching; and I purchased a stuffed puppy to go with the quilt - needless to say this quilt will be finished over our long weekend ahead and sent on to jjsikes for her to distribute to tornado victims along with all the other quilts people will be sending her. Thank you Jamie - you are one of God's angels.
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

All the quilts donated will be going directly to the victims, through me I am not giving them to a orginization to pass out.

Blog Entries
    I'm willing to quilt any quilts you ladies put together for Sikesjj's group/donations - with the stipulation that they are edge-to-edge, 1-color, and some relatively basic design. I can't promise super fast turn-around (realistically, it would be a week or two tops) but it's the summer and it stays light until 11pm so... I've got daylight therefore I have time. My only real request is that you cover shipping & materials (thread and batting if you don't want to mail it).

PM me if you are interested.

SikesJJ, you can pass that info along to your people in the group, too.
    Mischief Managed.

Themamahauseer thank you for the offer, I will share! We have alot of people sending blocks from all over the world so we will have alot of work to do. I wasn't planning on taking blocks but that is all some people could do and I didn't want to turn them away because alot of other groups were just taking completed quilts. Below is the link for the group if you would like to join.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quiltsoflove/

Blog Entries
    jamie, i can't join the yahoo group because i don't have a cell phone. i tried!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Junebillie is that a big rock in the shelf with your baby kitty? Mine are always checking out the rocks, the cereal the.. anything that is not theirs

think I will go ask queen of 2802 if she can post a pic.. crossing fingers we will see!
    It's a punch bowl, but the kitty thinks it's a big shiny rock. lol....When we first set the bowl there, he kept going there to check it out, but no interest in it now.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

um i dont have a cell phone nancia? I used yahoo signed up that way wasnt harder than this is just send her your email and she will send you an invite
    Linda

Elisabrat:

Does this fabric make you think of watermelon?

Name:  fabric for elizabrat.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  8.4 KB

I am going to start cutting tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    ok, jamie-- please send me an invite! thanks

I am excited about my move. There is a property that we might be able to rent real soon and its beyond perfect for me. A coral in back! a nice big lawn, hedge row on one side and big trees ...lots of space for planting veggies and having a pet duck and oh oh I feel like this would be us totally. the sky views? amazing big sky ..oh what a happy place that would be.
    Linda

Is this in Wyoming? Sounds like a nice place!

Blog Entries
    sounds great! ley me know when you get settled. i have a housewarming gift for you!

Nancia its in Wyoming. We are moving right next to Jan ok maybe not right next to her but close and I hope everyone can come visit me. I am excited about the move. Where we stay when we get there who knows but definetely somewhere just praying its not an apartment. ugh but the old saying of it is what it is.. well that is how I will go with it. super tired today. ok its only 5 why I am up for no good reason well that I cant explain to you. maybe go back to sleep is a good plan. only packing ahead of me. joy!
    Linda

Yay! You'll be close to at least 1 friend anyway! I'm exhausted this morning too. I haven't slept well the last 2 nights. It was after 3 when I finally dozed off and I woke up at 6:15, an hr before the alarm went off. I never sleep good when my boyfriend isn't here. I do finally get to the point where exhaustion takes over and I sleep, then my sleep pattern usually gets pretty normalized, but it takes several days. He'll be home from China Wednesday, then leaves again on Saturday or Sunday and will be gone over 2 weeks to Florida and straight from there to Denmark & Finland. He's home 5 days out of the next month. Then he's home for a month, then gone to Korea for a week. The conference he's going to in Finland is the one I usually go with him for, but with me just starting this job in January, I can't take the time off, and he says there's not much to see where it is this year anyway, kind of like when it was in Poland 4 years ago. He brought me a beautiful vase back then though!

Nancia, I just got on the board for the first time in a few days. I will send a invite now!

I have a question, and I figured I'd start here with my friends. We usually sleep with duvets, "Euro-style", instead of the conventional American style top sheet and blanket/comforter/quilt. I'll tell you though, this time of year gets kinda brutal for me. When I go to sleep, my little internal heater kicks on & I either don't sleep well or wake up sweating ever since my hysterectomy. So, I was thinking since I don't have any "me projects" that maybe I would make a summer-weight quilt the size of my duvet to use until we're back to heat instead of AC. So, my question is, have any of you made a specifically summer-weight quilt and what sort of batting would you suggest for it?

This question is also fitting with the time of year it is for Jamie's quilt drive as well.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I usually buy warm and natural batting but ordered a roll of "soft 'n crafty" from JoAnn's. It is 90" wide by 25 yds and the price was very reasonable. It is a lighter weight batting and would be fabulous for a summer weight quilt or duvet. I have used some of it in the last table runner I just made and a couple of sets of mug rugs. I like it for the weight it is and it quilts very nicely. It has enough body to hold its shape, think you'd be happy with it. The item # I have is 12395943 so you might take a look. I ordered another brand also from a different place and it is just a tad heavier, can't find my invoice right now in my files but let me know and I can look it up for you if you're interested. I would be glad to send you a sample of this so you know what it's like DustysMomma if that would help you, let me know. Or if you just need some for your duvet, I'm sure we can work that out if you don't want a whole bolt of it.

Blog Entries
    Found it dusty'smomma, the other place is Quilting-warehouse.com. It's a part of Beverly's Fabrics I think. I'll check it out tomorrow, haven't really unrolled the bolt to really look at it, just kind of felt the same as JoAnn's but a "tad" bit heavier. The price was a tad bit heavier too

Thank you for the info Jaba. I looked at the Soft n Crafty, but I'm worried that it has toasty in the name. I think it would be good for a throw, but I'm unsure about using it for a summer duvet or quilt. If you have a small scrap you don't mind parting with, I would love to take a look at it. I see Joann has it on sale for $80 per 25' roll.

Since you mentioned a duvet, that sounds like a possible solution as well. I bought 2 king size flat sheets for $2 that I planned to use for backings, but maybe a thin batting with a flat sheet wrapped around it & sewn up like a duvet is the answer. If I make it the exact size of the duvets we have, I can put the regular duvet cover on it like I do now.

I've been reading a lot this evening and someone suggested Quilters Dream Natural Request Thin Loft for a summer duvet. The twin size on Amazon, cheapest place I found it, was $18. King size is $35. I also saw where people talked about quilts their grandmother or great grandmother made that only had a sheet for batting, so it was basically 3 layers of cotton fabric. I'm highly opposed to using generic blankets as batting, because it feels weird to me (the quilt I have that my mother made my grandmother is made like this), but I'm on the fence about a sheet as batting.

Blog Entries
    I just had a light bulb moment, I think! Why don't you use flannel??? You could even buy a flannel sheet instead of off the bolt, just be sure and wash it first because of the shrinkage. Maybe that would be a perfect weight, what do you think? I can sure send you samples of these those so you will know what they are like, send me an address and I'll get them in the mail.

I've used flannel for the sake of bulk reduction, but I never have thought about it as being a less warm alternative to batting. The quick quilt I made for my boyfriend's nephew has flannel for the batting, because I felt it would be warmer, since it was meant to be used on a tile floor with radiant floor heating. Flannel sheets are lighter than bolt flannel though, aren't they? That might be an option. I could still use it with the sheets to make it a duvet then. I'd have to sleep under it first & see how it goes before I turned it into a duvet. Maybe I can do that while my boyfriend is out of the country for 2 weeks. If I don't like them, I'll just use them for backing for Jamie's quilts for OK!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast