Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Oct 31, 2013 >

I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Oct 31, 2013

I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Oct 31, 2013

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If it was all new people in this month's swap, it wouldn't matter if you swapped them back. But since so many of the same people join every month, someone is going to end up getting the same squares they already got last month if you swap them back again. Since the whole point of doing this swap is to get more squares that are different each time, I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to send back the squares you didn't like. Maybe set them aside and swap them in another swap somewhere else.
My mistake was assuming the swap was geared more toward children's fabrics. It seems many folks use the squares for more adult quilts. Are there any I Spy swaps, just for children's fabrics?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 AM

Nessie, what specifically are you looking for? I may have some extras I could send your way. :-) Which ones seemed unfitting for a kids quilt?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by frizzymama13 View Post
Nessie, what specifically are you looking for? I may have some extras I could send your way. :-) Which ones seemed unfitting for a kids quilt?
I really appreciate the offer but I'm in no hurry, really. Was thinking that since people sent in these squares and they were accepted and swapped out, maybe they could simply be put back into the 'pot.' I'd rather not describe the ones, I think unsuitable for children, as I don't want to hurt the feelings of any who sent them. I now realize the swap was just for random I Spy squares, rather than specifically for children. It was my mistake.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If it was all new people in this month's swap, it wouldn't matter if you swapped them back. But since so many of the same people join every month, someone is going to end up getting the same squares they already got last month if you swap them back again. Since the whole point of doing this swap is to get more squares that are different each time, I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to send back the squares you didn't like. Maybe set them aside and swap them in another swap somewhere else.
Okay let me clear this up.
Every swap I have done so far many have sent back charms they didn't want from the previous swap. I always try to give those to the new people. Every swap I always get charms sets that I seen in the previous swap. Some use the same fabric a few times for the different swap and then they are sent back in the next swap because they didn't want them. Now we can make that a rule in the next swap but be careful because a lot are doing it. Honestly I didn't see a problem in it for I never said a thing. If you are making more than one I Spy Quilt it really doesn't matter or maybe someone would love another one of the same. Each person is different in what they are collecting. What do any of you do with unwanted blocks? Me personally make charity quilts to give away. So I use all the blocks. I just set them in piles get enough of them and make a quilt. I know some of you may not. Each to their own.
I am always open for suggestions and I go from there what the majority asks for . So please be careful for what you wish for if you are one of those that send in unwanted charms.

Thanks for asking the question Nessie.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I really appreciate the offer but I'm in no hurry, really. Was thinking that since people sent in these squares and they were accepted and swapped out, maybe they could simply be put back into the 'pot.' I'd rather not describe the ones, I think unsuitable for children, as I don't want to hurt the feelings of any who sent them. I now realize the swap was just for random I Spy squares, rather than specifically for children. It was my mistake.
In the rules it states children's fabric. But this goes from infant to teenagers I believe. My twenty-one old loves the charms you all send in. So I am saving different ones to make her a quilt. Everyone is going to be collecting something different. So what you might think is not suitable for children's fabric someone else would think its fine. Now of course I don't want to see beer cans or stuff like that because I would never use it for children or adult quilts where someone else might think its cool.
It's just a matter of opinions.....

I don't see anything wrong putting back the ones you don't want for many do it and never asked. I never seen a problem with it. But ladies need to let me know what they think. We are all here striving to make a wonderful I Spy Quilts and I am aimed to help with what is sent in. But like I said we all have different ideas .
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Many thanks, to Sandra and Charlotte! I'll round up and swap back those kid-friendly squares, I can't use for my particular quilts.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM

I will voice an opinion about the question posed by Neesie. I agree that some of the same people return again another month, and likely their purpose is to get new and different charms. There (hopefully) will be new people joining in too. I was new the first time! But now I want to do another swap. I'd like to see new fabrics each swap, just like my first time! :-) I expected the first time that I'd get some charms I might not like-- because we are all different people with different tastes. But I don't expect to get the same fabric in a swap. So... I think those people who return to this same swap should send a different fabric than they sent before, AND something different than they received in past swaps. This way, first-comers will receive different charms and returning swappers will too. Isn't the point of a swap to get something that's different and new to you? It's very kind of Sandra to have worked around this issue, trading out familiar charms to newcomers who might not have seen that fabric before so that old-comers could receive something different. I applaud that effort! But it shouldn't be necessary. There are so many cute fabrics and new ones being designed all the time! :-) With regard to charms that you might not want-- the internet offers lots of possibilities for finding a home for them: another swap, sell them on ebay or craigslist, sew them into something you can trade or sell or give away, etc.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM

Neesie, maybe a theme swap would be more beneficial to you...in the past Yosamitesia has had themed swaps for 6 1/2 inch squares. She just finished one titled Creepy Crawlers, The Farm, and Things that go Bump in the Night to name a few
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Ok here's my opinion..............not that you're asking.........I love the I spy swaps .........all I ask for is squares that you can say to a child ...........find me a pig...........etc........now little ones know what toasters are so that to me is also acceptable..........I find we get a wide range of age groups but haven't consider any of the squares I have received for adults only.........now I have received squares that are not I spy squares but more charms squares ....... which wasn't a problem this last swap........I have also received poorly cut squares.........fabric that is so thin I'm not sure if I would use them........there will always be squares I'm not happy with but that hasn't stopped me from joining in on the fun.........I always try to send the best quality fabric I can find with suitable prints........

Now as far as sending back the squares you don't like or want..........I don't think that is fair .........before you know it we all will be doing that............and then the swap will not be fun...........and it won't be fun for the moderator...............those squares you are not happy with make fantastic charity quilts...............
Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 PM

Let me see if i understand, i send in 6 baggies labeled with 20 , 5" square. But what is the " twist fabric". Fabric that is not in the 20's? Does that make it 21?