Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups >

June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Cheesehead, your quilt looks beautiful!! Can't wait to see it finished. The quilting is just beautiful.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:28 PM

NZ, Your quilt looks great. The color you chose for the points around each block seems to blend great with each block. I am going to a Quilt Retreat for 5 days at the end of August. One of my two planned projects is to sew my 9 patch blocks together. I plan to use just white sashing between. Because my life was too busy the past few months for me to be able to find time to participate in this second swap, I will be making some more blocks to add to mine from the first swap. I like larger quilts. Then I will just add a border or two to get it big enough for my liking. Had a bridal shower for my other daughter today, who is getting married in Sept. Have to do the floral for her wedding and also need to make blocks for the Guests to sign at the wedding for her wedding quilt (my other project for the Quilt Retreat). Oh, and I also have to alter her Wedding dress. I HATE altering wedding dresses!!!! But I figured I'd save us a few hundred dollars and do it. I am determined to participate in the next swap. I have all my prints selected already and cut into strips. and have some 2 1/2" squares cut form small scraps. I am excited for this next swap.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Good luck with this wedding, aborning. I used to alter wedding gowns for a living ( at a bridal shop). They are beasts! But at least they are made to be altered. I feel your pain...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Oh! Everyone! Isn't it fun to see a quilt with blocks you have made being used in it!
Yes! I love that...

I've been working ahead a little and have made about 40 blocks with white for our next swap. After getting all those together and trimmed I had to admit to myself that the white I used was too thin to send in a swap. I have many whites around, and used one that is like a high quality bleached muslin... rather than the weight of a Kona-type cotton. So I'm pulling all those blocks and will not swap them. I'll use them for my personal use, and start over with a heavier white cotton. Sure wish I figured this out sooner.

Also, yesterday my iron died! Seems like I'm replacing irons about every two months. They need to make quilters' irons, that are made to stay on all day and not burn themselves out. I wish!

Hope you all are enjoying your Sunday and keeping cool.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:08 AM

SBG, Did you do another row on your 9patches? Let's see that one grow! :-) Strange about your irons. I've got a couple from garage sales that are my back-ups just in case I need one. They look like they are from the 40's or 50's and they work like a charm and have done so for years. But lately, I've been using my new cordless.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Givio what kind of cordless iron do you have? I bought a Oreck at a thrift store a year ago, it heats up but doesn't get hot. For now I am using one of my older Rowenta irons, but I have to be real careful with white fabric, occasionally it decides to do an exorcist and spits yucky water!

It really is heartwarming to see a block that you created in someone else's quilt.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:27 PM

Cheesehead, it's a Panasonic. I wrote a review about it here: Thinking about a cordless iron? Here's my Iron Review
Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 AM

I am starting to cut my strips for the next swap and just want to be sure that this is the configuration that we will be using.[ATTACH=CONFIG]598408[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mvc-005s.jpg  
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

That's right, Cheesehead. Five colors and four whites. Don't worry about matching anything... just go scrappy!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM

That one looks great Cheesehead.