Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Mug Rug Swap for May! "How does your garden grow?" is the theme! >

Mug Rug Swap for May! "How does your garden grow?" is the theme!

Mug Rug Swap for May! "How does your garden grow?" is the theme!

Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Well, I did it Lynnie. I spent about an hour playing with some leftover bonus hsts cut from my Scrappy Swoon quilt, which is all put together too, btw... So I have my swap all ready to send to a partner. It's an abstract interpretation of the garden theme.

I'm not making the wedding dress from scratch, just doing some big alterations. They couldn't order her dress in her size in the time frame she needed so she had to take one that was two sizes too big, but in stock. I get to cut it down for her and the bodice is covered in a pleated chiffon overlay. It has to come in at the back zipper, and the zipper tab is covered with buttons that have tiny loops on the opposite side. Each button must be looped for them to stand out straight and look pretty. I have to take all that out and redo it! Once I get her bodice done, then I have to measure her for the hem and hem several layers, all tiny rolled hems.

Then, when that's done, my dress needs hemming and the shoulders taken up, and it's covered in light layers of ruffles! I'll really be wishing I bought something simpler.... but it's so pretty!

So... gobs of work. I have been procrastinating, making another quilt top, or quilting another top, ANYTHING not to start on these alterations. But now it's time to pay the piper. I know I'll feel great when it's all done.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Lynnie,
Until school is out, my weekends are booked......as a teacher I am busy correcting papers and this weekend especially, I had 9 - 7th graders do power point presentations on Food Borne illnesses yesterday during class, so I made notes during presentations for each student and then I have to do the final revue of the PPT on my time. I teach Family and Consumer Sciences (the NEW Home Ec.) and have 6 different classes with only one prep. 7th - 12 grade. So everything I do either after school or during weekend. Otherwise, I pull every little minute that I can to do something for me. Like doing the swaps. But I can live without doing the May swap.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Great weight loss girlfriend!!! That has to feel sooo great!!

Robinlee, no pressure...sounds like you've got enough going on...there's always June Hope things go great!

Lynnie...I'm kind of middle of the road I guess...not a novice, but not the most expert either at quilting and mine usually takes several minutes just to figure out what...then stitching takes a bit of time if I'm appliquing, or paper piecing and then quilting and finally binding...sometimes I do the pillowcase method, but I plan on a morning or afternoon (maybe in segments) but usually 2 - 3 hours for me...

I'm sitting here in a Holiday Inn in American Fork, Ut, getting ready to see one of our sons...we're on the road seeing family for the next 2 weeks, so I won't be early in mailing, but should make the deadline easily...happy sewing ladies!

Oh! I forgot! Yuk, yuk, and double YUK on alterations...almost had a panic attack just reading what you're having to stitch Sewbiz...good luck!
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
sewbizgirl, make your mug rug today, only takes an hour, then you'll
have it done in time to ship and you won't be late. We already know
the theme, flowers, garden, so make it now and you'll be done in no
time, and it won't interfere with th wedding. that's what I would do.
As soon as I hear the there, I finish mine up. go for it now.
Lynnie, you are a great cheerleader for sure! But, I have to laugh to myself each time I see you say it only takes an hour or so. I have never sewn anything in only an hour or so Good for you, I don't mean that, I'm just sayin' I'm a turtle kind of slow! I love to peruse the internet for ideas, plan the fabric, think about it some more, etc. You get the picture! You go girl! I'll still be checking Pinterest, there may be a perfect design I haven't seen yet
Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 PM

I'm with you, suern3 ... I have to figure out what to make, then I pull fabrics that I have to "live" with for a while & let them tell me if they want in. If not, I have to put them back & pull other fabrics. It's a long process. Thank goodness it's "only" a mug rug! Sometimes a bed quilt takes months to jell inside my head before I start cutting fabric!

sewbizgirl -- just thinking of alterations makes me break out in a cold sweat! Yet, people are always dropping things off that need "fixing" or hemming or tucking. I did learn to say no to anything involving a zipper! But when a co-worker wants me to hem her long gown for her son's wedding ... that I can't say no to, even though I knew the dress was multi-layered! And now her daughter is getting married & she needs her new dress altered & the bridesmaids' dresses need hemming. I know what I'll be doing mid-summer!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

sewbiz, that sounds wonderful that you are able to do all that, but horrible that you have to do all that. tha's a lot of work. I mean A LOT!!!!! so wonderful that you are able to do it.

Robinlee, sounds like you have your hands full too. this is the worst time of the year for teachers. you get out a lot earlier than they do by us. we get out the last week of June. have fun with all the grading. and we'll see you next month.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:04 AM

ok you win. The grand ARE YOU CRAZY? prize. Hemming a wedding dress is nightmares enough for me all those layers! but doing the entire gown from chest to armpits to back with tiny little covered buttons and loops.. oh heck no. no way no how. I was in a big sweat over my daughters request that I a make 12 table runners out of burlap with lace applique on them. I thought BURLAP? it moves its not solid its harder than heck to sew with then I read your two stories and think give me those table runners I can do that! and I pray I can. wowsa is all I can say. high five down low and all that stuff. your amazing ladies. cant wait to see the pictures!

Mug rugs for May.... what are you ladies thinking? floral or veggies? no one knows yet? garden tools and seed packets? love to see what your envisioning (sp) so share with us a few ideas you might have. if you haven't signed up yet come on over! send Ctyankee a pm with your name, address, phone number and you will be guaranteed a spot in this fun swap! I want to remind you Ctyankee takes sign ups and I take any troubles you might have after the swap. We are splitting the fun here lol and trying to make sure that all of you get partners! and that your troubles if you have any are handled quickly. I think this will make the entire swap go along smoothly. If you have any ideas how to make it even better feel free to write me. I am all ears! literally I have huge ears lol. like that cartoon guy years ago with freckles and big ears? that's me minus the freckles lol.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I bought the 'goodie' to go with my swap so my package is ready to go out the door on May 1st. I think I like what I made better than any I have made yet, and to think I used my tiny bonus hsts cut off my bigger ones in my Scrappy Swoon quilt! That's all the hint I am giving.

It feels good to have it done. Now on to that wedding gown....
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM

sewbizgirl my hat is off to you. I used to do alterations . . . not so many anymore .. . I, too would put off the dastardly deed until I couldn't any longer. Yep, I would sew lots of other stuff and then finally settle down and finish the alterations.

I'm still mulling around what the May MR will be - I found 2 inspirations out on Pinterest one of which could make you think and then agree that yes, that would definitely affect your gardening that's all the hint on that one.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM

I don't have a clue what I will do yet, I like the theme for this month so will look around Pinterest for some inspiration. Sitting here in a hotel room in Paducah with DH and my 2 Siamese cats. The crowds for the quilt show are gone so there was no problem getting a room. Planning an early start on the road tomorrow and hope to be back in our Wisconsin home by mid afternoon.