Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2015-16-birthday-swap-candy-style-2-5-a-t260572.html)

SheriR 07-19-2015 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Late happy birthdays!... I've been consumed, even haunted, to finish up quilts I have been making my late MotherInLaw for her 23 grandchildren. I've had her stash for four years and she's been gone (if any of you remember) nearly two years. We're going to Idaho TOMORROW!!! I have bound 18 quilts this week! I wore out my third quilting foot (which really makes me mad). It broke a week ago with 1.5 quilts to finish quilting. It forced me to start the binding phase of my process. Hence....18 bindings... I had one finished and four are my own kids. I'll finish theirs in August! I just really REALLY felt the need to finish them. Since we're driving we can hand deliver and my paranoid self won't worry any will get lost in the mail. You can see them in my Photo Album. Oh....I stole(borrowed...confiscated) my daughters quilting foot. She doesn't use it. :D finished the quilt the old foot broke on and have just the outer border to finish on quilt 19. Also had daughters embroidery machine going yesterday and pumped out 14 labels for the quilt backs. That's how many quilts will stay in Idaho! All the quilts are the same pattern, just different colored sash/stars and they all have the same label, which is the label I put on Grandma's quilt that is resting with her forever. Hers is made out of the leftover HST from the grandkids stars. I think it's in the album too. phewwww long post. Sorry.

<3Sheri

jaba 07-19-2015 05:09 AM

TeriLynn, I don't have a clue the name of it. I didn't save the salvage and I bought it about 2 years ago. So sorry.
Sounds like a perfect day of teaching and sewing, Glad you had fun sewbiz

All the grandkds are going to love those Sheri, hope they appreciate what you have done for them. Lots of work and time in all of those. They look beautiful!

barbarakibler23 07-19-2015 08:47 AM

Hello everyone...love to see all the chatter here! and the pictures thanks for sharing!

Sewbiz...would love to have a quilt machine. do you use that machine for piece and quilting or just quilting?

Trishb....still not brave enough this week to start appliqué. I have to finish a quilt that I started ( actually there are a few in the not quite finished mode) I was told once I had more then one quilt in the works I was a "True Quilter".

Tpr9258....yeah for all the canning your are doing. I make strawberry jam. I did plant peas and beans this year so maybe I will give that a try. also have lots of tomatoes and onions. I made a raised garden this year! Can't believe the difference 8" makes!!!

WMUTeach and everyone...pictures of your organization. I am trying to get some organization here. Seems like I keep doing things over. so clearly it is not working,

Jaba...LOVE your quilts. I would love to hear how you do in the fair. Did you quilt them yourself?

Anoka quilter...I have you waiting on one more is this what you have????

Sewbizgirl please post a picture of "hexagon kaledoscope"

SheriR....what a wonderful gift you are giving your nieces and nephews. I am sure they will cherish them forever.
When you said "you wore out 3 quilting feet" I thought you were going to say 3 fingers. I hand bind all of my quilts so my fingers would have fallen off. I will go to find out photo album to take a look.

Barb

barbarakibler23 07-19-2015 09:02 AM

We have a winner....

congrats to Jaba.....
Here are all of the answers:

1) a hottie from grey's...Justin Chambers
;):wave:
2) Eb White (E
wyn Brooks) White
3) John Quincy Adams
4) Andre Johnson
5) Richie Sambora

Thanks to everyone who played!

jaba 07-19-2015 09:06 AM

Awesome! Now I will get to see your prize.
thank you

n10sgrrl 07-19-2015 11:20 AM

I just got back from a week at family camp in Yosemite. The city of San Francisco owns some land their and has been running a family camp there for over 90 years. We had a great time. My three year old keeps asking when we can go back. I think he liked it too.

I had 3 candies waiting in my mailbox. Thank you so much SheriR, PeginCo and Dottie Dodge. I am going to begin diving into the candies. They are the perfect size for a BOM I am doing. This month is turned applique and next month is hand sewing hexies - both of which are smaller than 2.5 inch squares!

sewbizgirl 07-19-2015 11:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Congrats, Jaba! Now you have to win several contests so you can accumulate a "set" of prizes... or at the very least, a pair!

Sheri, WOW. So many quilts. What you have done is just wonderful. Love the label too. Good job getting all those done for hand delivery when you travel. You are going to be very popular! I'm going to see if I can find your pics in your album.

Below are pictures from yesterday. The first one shows a few of the hexagon kaliedoscope blocks just pushed together. There is a way to sew them with a background, if you want them seperated. But I'm going to put mine together as the picture shows. Yes... "Y" seams...sigh.

The second pic shows some 4 patch blocks I made from some of the leftovers of the hexagon cuts. And the last pic is some teeny tiny 4 patches from some even smaller leftovers. My fabric was quite wild, as you can see!

jaba 07-19-2015 06:02 PM

sewbizgirl, I need a class from you, very nice!! Will let you all know how I do...I'm aiming for a prize ribbon, we'll see.

SheriR 07-19-2015 07:03 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm happy to say I've finished all 19 cousin quilts! I'll see labels on done tonight and and sew the others as we drive. Then when we get home I'll finish my kids four! SO HAPPY TO BE DONE! I feel like a slow poke when I say how long I've been working on them. Maybe while we're driving I'll counts everything else I made between grandma quilts....

@sewbizgirl. I've really wanted to make a FourPatchPosey? Still do. Maybe I'll look for the perfect fabric to use!

PeginCO 07-19-2015 07:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
What fun to catch up and see pretty quilts, hear about travels, and learn about others' adventures. I am just back from a 10-day vacation (4 travel days) from Colorado, through Kansas, and then to my Dad's farm in MO. I took my middle three children with me, and we had a wonderful time! Highlights were:
* listening to audio books (including "Ella Enchanted" read in a sweet young girl voice and "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase" read with British accent)
* stopping by MANY quilt stores along I-70 and down I-49 for Row by Row directions and license plates
* visiting Fantastic Caverns near Springfield, MO (great tour!)
* touring George Washington Carver National Monument (just off I-44 near Diamond, MO - also great tour!)
* glow-golfing (think black light mini-golf with lots of glowing neon - kids loved it)
* going to my hometown's annual Harvest Days festival...where two of my kids won cakes at the cake walk!
* seeing the amazing quilts at the Harvest Days quilt show
* making fabric yo-yos under the shade of a huge maple tree while the kids caught frogs and fire flies and chased "wild" kitty cats.
and much much more. Memorable trip...thanks for letting me share. Here are some pix:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525653[/ATTACH]
Our giant maple
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525656[/ATTACH]
GW Carver tour
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525658[/ATTACH]
Harvest Days Quilt show