Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

mjmachin 10-16-2014 11:48 AM

With all the hints out there, it looks like a lot of you have my name and I can't wait to receive all the wonderful gifts that I am hearing about !!!! Oh, you mean that maybe more than just me has an A in her name??? Or that there are a lot of you out there who would love an apron or previously owned "toys" !! I am getting some great ideas for my box so keep them coming! I will just sit in the hole and welcome all the newcomers.

mjmachin 10-16-2014 11:53 AM

I too learned to crochet when I was very young, but I think the hardest part is to get the feel of how to hold your yarn. Seems like everyone has their own comfort area, and after practicing you will get the feel of holding the yarn. Then it is just remembering the stitches etc. I love to crochet, as did my grandmother, mom, and all my aunts. My grandmother could figure out a pattern by looking at it, but insisted that I learn to read a pattern (same with sewing) so I could sew anything. She was a very smart lady and I miss her terribly! Hoping my granddaughters will keep asking to sew with me.

buddy'smom 10-16-2014 12:52 PM

I agree, my mom was the same, looked at pattern and could make it. I taught myself at age 12 as my mom wouldn't teach me. Being from a family of 13 kids wasn't alot of time, my first project was a ripple afagan and completed in one week. My mom made tablecloths, chair sets and lots of doilies, both our favorites were the pineapples. I later learned to make the bed dolls from Annie's Attic and my mom wanted to make them but I just couldn't teach her. We had some great times together crocheting and she did it almost right up till she passed at the age of 80. I sure do miss her but lots of wonderful memories for sure.

Originally Posted by mjmachin (Post 6931405)
I too learned to crochet when I was very young, but I think the hardest part is to get the feel of how to hold your yarn. Seems like everyone has their own comfort area, and after practicing you will get the feel of holding the yarn. Then it is just remembering the stitches etc. I love to crochet, as did my grandmother, mom, and all my aunts. My grandmother could figure out a pattern by looking at it, but insisted that I learn to read a pattern (same with sewing) so I could sew anything. She was a very smart lady and I miss her terribly! Hoping my granddaughters will keep asking to sew with me.

dfelker 10-16-2014 12:55 PM

U Have ME!!

OH YES, YES YES PLEASE THROW IT IN THE BOX!! Santees are where it's at! I just LuV them and have well too many to count because I Luvs them sOOOoooo much!

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6928477)
Here's another hint for my Secret Santee. This may (or may not) be part of your gift. Hmmmmm. Which will it be? Shall I throw it into the box . . . or not? :D
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...d=495365&stc=1

dfelker 10-16-2014 12:56 PM

My SS hint for the day...

She lives inside her town/city limits.

Neesie 10-16-2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dfelker (Post 6931458)
My SS hint for the day...

She lives inside her town/city limits.

Hmmmmmmmm. That may not be me . . . . :(

Anoka Quilter 10-16-2014 01:24 PM

Question, when mailing your package what do you do in regards to a return address on the package? Wouldn't that give away our identy?

Neesie 10-16-2014 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter (Post 6931501)
Question, when mailing your package what do you do in regards to a return address on the package? Wouldn't that give away our identy?

Some people use the recipient's address, also for the return. That kinda worries me because if it can't get to one address, a back-up of the same address is disastrous.
Some people use the address of a friend or relative, then mail from a distant city.
I've used a friend's, as well as my own address. Chances are, your SSee won't know where you live, until after the package is opened. Just don't put your own name, on the outside of the package.
Just make sure you put FROM SECRET SANTA or something of that sort, around the return address. We're not supposed to open them until opening day, so that'll prevent an accidental early opening.
Make sure you DO put your name, on the inside! :D

juneayerza 10-16-2014 01:38 PM

I'm not sure if I missed something or not; has there been a date set for the grand reveal?

CookyIN 10-16-2014 01:53 PM

I'm wondering how the latest contest from Terri is coming along. Did everybody just give up on trying to name the make and model of her new sewing machine, or have I missed something? Just send her a PM with any make and model that comes to mind -- you've got nothing to lose by trying!