Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

Cindy60545 11-16-2014 10:33 AM

Marilyn43, your courage for talking about your depression is inspiring. It's also helpful for healing. My DH suffers from PTSD & I deal with his demons as well as he does. (he just doesn't know it.) Hugs to you & prayers always. You're a strong woman!
Sewbizgirl, those little multi-colored one are coming my way, right??? It's so cold here in Texas, we need the extra layers for warmth. Supposted to snow later today. It was raining when I got up this morning, guess it'll be sheer ice before bedtime. We didn't have fall. We went from summer to winter.

Anoka Quilter 11-16-2014 10:42 AM

Marilyn 43, yes I am also thinking about next year. I enjoyed all the swaps I did this year, Halloween Block, Ornament, and SS. I really wanted to do the winter block swap too, but the travel portion of my work took over my life. So, I plan on working on Halloween Blocks, Christmas Blocks, Ornaments, and items for next years SS. I really wanted to make more for my SS but the only item I was able to complete was a table runner.

I also like the community of this board. There are some really great people on here and everyone is so helpful. One kind member even sent me a box of scraps because I mention on the Mystery Train #7 that I didn't have many scraps of different colors and of course the next train is going to be a scrappy.

Also I am originally from NE, the Norfolk area. I do get down that way on a regular basis as my Mom in in a nursing home down there. If you are anywhere close maybe we could meet up sometime. PM me if you like.

Neesie 11-16-2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6971099)
Here are a few of mine... the last pic is crochet. Something to do while we wait!

All wonderful!!! Which pair of socks is coming to me? :thumbup:

Neesie 11-16-2014 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quercus Rubra (Post 6971104)
(Above the Hole - everyone hears the most unusual sound. They have heard it off & on throughout several days. It doesn't sound like any Santa that they ever heard or of reindeers or elves as a matter of fact. "Sshhh" says one member. Others says that it reminds them of "Gollum" from the LOTR movies. Which brave soul is going to look has the members pondering about? Upon a vote they send up the Cabana Boy. Although there was a few who disagreed that if he went up & didn't come back the members would have to make their drinks & fetch their own snacks too. With trepidation he looks out and sees no strange creature about but a poor humanoid trying to talk. He takes it's hand and heads down to the hole with promises of hot toddies, ice packs and writing supplies. The members are silent are they see the bundle in which he brings. It is slightly hunched over, covered with snow, and it a bit frazzled. One member closest to the Cabana boy jumps up and exclaims "OH NO!! You poor soul!!! A few minutes goes by before the other members come to realize that this is not some strange monster but Quercus Rubra as she crawls to the fire to warm up her 10 little toes. Along with her fingers and her oh-so-cold little nose.)

Hello everyone!! Man is it cold! We finally got some measurable snow here in my neck of the woods. Well maybe an inch or two. I come to see what every is sharing here on the thread. I really like some of the recipes I see and I would love to have some of those nice thick socks everyone it talking about. I can barely knit with two straight needles and I know one stitch in crocheting. Or I would make some of them on my own. I would like to wear some that was knee high but would settle for something like a tall cuffed ankle sock as I have "very fluffy" calf muscles. LOL. Does anyone like pumpkin raisin cookies or even some scones? Here is a recipe that I love to make from Ocean Spray using their dried cranberries.

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 5-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Please feel free to add to the recipes that are being gathered. This is one that even my kids like. What is it about oatmeal & cranberries that most kids won't touch if it's in bowl form but put in a cookie and they can't get enough of them? :D

Today I'm going to try and eat some eggs for breakfast. I was able to do oatmeal with milk yesterday. I really want something more than Jell-o but I have to start small again as the swelling has come back. I did find a nice soup cookbook at the library the other day. There is a good selection of Creamed soups I'm going to try. I LOVE home made soup but If the mister is going to eat it ... no onions, mushrooms or tomatoes are allowed. I think I'll try making a nice potato soup for this evening. With garlic, shredded cheddar and butter. I'm going to take a break from the Jell-o and make some pudding. I use that to make taking my pills easier on the throat and at this rate I'll do what ever it takes.

I'll try in pop in later once I've made some progress on a little something that is a gift. Stay safe & warm with hugs to all.

Tricia

{{{{{{{ Tricia }}}}}}} Glad to see you're planning to get some solid food into your stomach. I hope the eggs-for-breakfast was a success! Throw some basil into that potato soup, too. Yummy! I may just have to make some, myself! :)

Neesie 11-16-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6971123)
Tricia....LOVE your story....I confess i had no idea where you were going with it.....but felt so bad for the poor "monster".... {{{{{hugs}}}}} Will put your cookie recipe in with the others. I am in SOOOO much trouble if i think i'm going to stick to WW over this holiday with all the new goodie recipes i now have to try !!

Hey.....you might want to try baked potatoes for your potato soup recipe.....it's really easy cuz you just have to wash the taters and pop them in the oven.....when done, cut in half - let cool a little and then add to your soup as normal. I think it has a richer flavor if they're baked....but that's just IMHO.

Neesie......can you tell me where you got your crocheted sock pattern you like so much???

Oh well....back to the DSM to keep working on Xmas prezzies....I am making infinity scarves for all the "girls" in the family. Got some great deals at JoAnn's on knit fabrics last week.

Penni, here's my favorite crocheted sock pattern. It works up easily and quickly. :thumbup:
http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm

PenniF 11-16-2014 12:58 PM

Thank you Neesie...those look GREAT!!!! I know i won't be able to sew....but i'm hoping maybe i'll be able to hold a crochet hook after my thumb surgery in january.....will have a cast on but fingers free so we will see if i can't rig something up. I'll go nutzo cuckoo otherwise !!!

juneayerza 11-16-2014 01:56 PM

Marilyn 43, I've already found next year's SS $20.00 gift. Micheals had a craft carousel on sale which I thought was pretty nice so I got one for myself and liked it so much I got a second one for next year's SS gift. I was going to do some cute homemade gifts for my Santa-ee but life got in the way and I wasn't able to do them. However, I learned my lesson and as soon as I can see better I'm going to make several items so I can pick and choose for my next person. This is a great place to be and your bravery in your battle is understood here.

CookyIN 11-16-2014 02:08 PM

sewbizgirl, how much do I love those rainbow sock/booties? To the moon and back, my friend, to the moon and back! I'm all thumbs when it comes to crochet; just can't get the hook (no pun intended) of the tension and maneuvering the hook. You have a very special talent!

CookyIN 11-16-2014 02:11 PM

I'm already thinking of next year's swap. I picked up some great bargains throughout this year, and many found their way into my SS swap package based on my Santee's interests.

And I'm thinking along the same lines as you, Neesie, about going ahead and making a few things as a cushion for next year. I had to really scramble to get this and my Ornament Swap pieces done on time.

didi 11-16-2014 02:27 PM

Just got home from a week-end trip, surprise, I got my SS package. She lives in the same state as me.....can't hardly wait for Nov. 7th.... Thanks to my SS, I know I will love anything in this box..