Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 79 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29 69 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2169

Thread: Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

I like this idea, I'm in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Thanks sunrise. Yes the large checkerboard has 2 1/2" squares and the small checkerboard 1 1/2" squares.

The star points on both blocks are flying geese blocks. I cut sky triangles (HST) from EZ Angle ruler using a 2 1/2" cut of fabric 13" long. Goose triangles from the EZ Companion ruler also using 2 1/2" cut 24" long to yield 4 triangles and 4 corner squares. Those leftover 2 1/2" binding strips come in handy. Center square is 4 1/2".
    Attachment 481627

You need 71 large checkerboards; 50 Evening star blocks; and 22 checkerboard star blocks.

So start sorting 2 1/2" and a few 1 1/2" strips into lights and darks....
    Oksewglad,
    Hmmm... I already have some of the 2-1/2" checkerboards, I use the 2-1/2" squares for my leaders and enders so I have quite a few. I see that you have used a light beige or dark cream background while I have been using anywhere from a white to a light cream. all from scraps.
    Thanks again for posting, it has really got my imagination going right now which is something I am really in need of.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    Go for it sunrise! I also had several leaders and enders sewn before I started this. My rendition in EQ is just an approximation of colors. I want to have enough light/dark contrast between the points and backgrounds as well as within the checkerboards so that your eye follows the diagonal movement of the darks. We want to see all those stars and if there is no contrast they get lost. Now have 40 the the evening star blocks sewn--yeah!
    Last edited by oksewglad; 07-08-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Ok and Rhonda, I have been admiring your gorgeous work! Can I just sum it up by saying... YUMMY?????
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ronda of course none of it is new stuff. All stuff I did along time ago. But since we have a lot of new people thought I might jog some new ideas for someone.

I always enjoy yours too Ronda and OK's as well. I love that you do the minis also.

Blog Entries
    I think this has been requested before but for the life of me I can't find it. I'm talking about sites or patterns that use the
    2-1/2" charms. I have bunches and bunches and right now am making checker boards for another pattern but would like to see more patterns using these little charmers.
    I would really appreciate someone pointing me to these sites.
    Phyllis
    sunrise450

Blog Entries
    Check out these scrappy tablerunners! They are really pretty!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t250609.html

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=sunrise450;6803651] about sites or patterns that use the
    2-1/2" charms.
    I would really appreciate someone pointing me to these sites.
    Phyllis
    sunrise450[/QUOT

Have you checked out Bonnie Hunters site? www.quiltville.blogspot.com
    Also, look at http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com
    Last edited by dottie dodge; 07-23-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Thanks Ronda of course none of it is new stuff. All stuff I did along time ago. But since we have a lot of new people thought I might jog some new ideas for someone.

I always enjoy yours too Ronda and OK's as well. I love that you do the minis also.
    Thanks Rhonda! Alas, the "minis" have ruined me for working on larger quilts now! Why can't adults sleep under a napkin sized quilt I wonder? Ha ha ah!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    I've been cutting.....I've decided I will not use my stash up especially the way it is now--unplanned and forgotten about. First hit the small bits cutting 6", 5", 2 1/2" and 2". The scraps from these cuts are cut to size and tossed in my smaller bins.
    I cut 6" because I made a Warm Wishes quilt for my sister and loved how these particular instructions were so easy to cut. Thinking of scrappy centers and maybe scrappy adjoining blocks....who knows

http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...DoubleSize.pdf
    http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...-crib_size.pdf

The 5" cuts because we all know how many patterns are other there for charm blocks and if you want 2 1/2" just cut them in half.

The 2" cuts are going for leaders and enders as I bought one of BH's books and plan on using them for stash reduction.

The left overs cuts--well you all know what happens to them..3 mini's finished for a fundraiser--got one peach one finished--now the other three.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t252537.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Would love to have the pattern for this. Really love it.

Blog Entries
    What pattern are you wanting Jo? There are several pics shown and I wasn' t sure what you were talking about. I'll be happy to help if I can

Blog Entries
    I just found this thread. Count me in. I am using my first set of scraps to practice the layering technique used on some crazy quilts. I think practicing on scraps before I begin on the expensive material is a good idea.

Then I want to make one of those crocheted bowls using scrap fabric. I have the large crochet hook around here somewhere.

Blog Entries
    I'll be happy to revive this group if anyone is interested. I let it die out because there wasn't much participation.

So tk post progress pics if you like as we always like to see what others are in progress doing. I'm not sure I understand the layering technique you mentioned. can you post a pic of that?

I'm working on some butterflies for goodies to hand out at a retreat I am going to in May. I'll post pics after while. I need to take pictures of them in progress first.

Blog Entries
    Yes!!
    PLEASE start this up again
    In my quilt lab!

Blog Entries
    Ok no problem!! I love using scraps and love to see new ideas on how to use them. I like to have resources to draw from when I want a particular color. so I collect alot of scraps and have lots from when I was selling my stuff years ago. I don't feel the need to use up every scrap. if I want a burgandy fabric for a scrap project then I can go scrounge through my scraps for just the perfect one LOL

I am more into controlled scrappy I suppose you could say. I like to have an equal number burgandy and an equal number of navy or blue etc.

When you look at a quilt block I see 3 or 4 colors in that quilt block. For the blue I use all blue scraps each one diff for all of the blue in that quilt block. then the red or yellow I use all diff fabric scraps in that color. I don't like to repeat a fabric but you can.

To show you here are a few I have made in the past. I don't do big quilts but you can get the idea.
    If I don't have 8 different burgandies then I will use 2 of the same in one are. as in one side of the Ohio star I might use both the same but across from that side then those 2 would be a diff fabric but those 2 would be from the same fab scraps. Tho I prefer to not repeat any particular fabric if I can help it. I think it gives it more appeal

Name:  IMG_20141004_0001.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  16.6 KB

Here the 4 pinwheels are diff colors yet each pinwheel is the same 2 fabrics per pinwheel.
    This is a controlled scrappy. This is a coin purse I made not long ago

Name:  Kit.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  39.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Here are some interesting ideas I found on Pinterest

Name:  6-ways-to-cope-with-the-first-year-after-cbac1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  72.2 KB Name:  19d4ce9f3e58ab7def8c1dc26b5cce93.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  55.4 KB Name:  a02576ec582f3f5080007ebb969ba292.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  53.0 KBName:  scrapcat.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  26.2 KBName:  HX1A2562.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  42.3 KBName:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  43.3 KBName:  Picket Fence.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  46.1 KB

I especially like the examples with the low volume fabrics. I am collecting low volume fabrics but have not done anything with them yet. I always check this thread if there are new posts but do not post. So lurker here glad to see this thread active again. I really enjoy seeing all the quilts and projects.
    Anna Quilts

Hi Rhonda, like Ms Grace, I was hoping to see this active again, but I am not on enough to have it start again for one person. I am restricting myself to working with my piles of leftovers - definitely a work in progress. I love all your examples!

HI Anna!
    Lynne
    Austin, Tx

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I love scrappy quilts. When I found this thread yesterday, I started to read it from the beginning ... I'm now up to page 18. So I have a lot of reading to do! I will try to keep up with the current thread as well, to see what's happening now. Love those quilts shown above!
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking the other day of all the threads I've started and this was one I was thinking about. I guess great minds think alike! I'm happy to give this thread new life. I love scrappy stuff alot and most of my work tends to be scrappy.

my original intention was to have small swaps within this group so if anyone wants to swap scraps or make an item to swap just let me know. I prefer to have at least 4 to make a swap

Also please share any pictures you like. You can go on pinterest and share pictures here or anything you come across that is interesting.

I also like to post pics if things I find on the QB to show what members have done with scrappy quilting.

So if you have anything to share please do so!! You don't have to have your own work to share you can share anything you find online. We all love inspiration!

Blog Entries
    I would be happy to see this thread come back. If I remember correctly, we also did some swapping with 2.5" strips. I even remember who I very happily swapped with, Happylab. I hope she was as pleased as I was. I never did get the time to play with Rhonda's blocks and would like to correct that.

What is everyone working on and are there any scraps you are collecting for that?

I am working on several things, some not quilting. I just finnished dresses for my oldest daughter's toddler and triplet girls. They will be over today and I hope they can already wear them but I am afraid they might be a bit large.

Together with a friend I am taking a class on making the Farm Girl Vintage Sampler Quilt by Lori Holt. I am doing it with the 6 inch blocks and am collecting 1930 and similar style prints that are used in that quilt. If anyone has fabrics like that I could maybe trade for something they are looking for.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    We can swap whatever you all want to swap. We just have to have at least 4 players otherwise you can just swap between yourselves if there is only a couple wanting to swap.

sunrise - my great aunt was a writer and she wrote a book about her growing up years. she said her grandmother insisted they memorize that saying you have in your signature LOL

Blog Entries
    Do you store your scraps in any kind of system? Do you sort by color or by size? I don't sort much but I have sorted out some major colors like Blue and Burgandie and Green etc. but mostly I just put the scraps in a ziplock. I also have them stored in baskets. I don't have much storage space so most of my stuff is in wicker baskets. I have around 20 baskets full of fabric. I collect wicker picnic baskets and other large baskets.

Page 79 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29 69 78 79 80 ... LastLast