Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013 >

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 AM

Here is a great project for kids. My friend is a 5th grade teacher and her classroom theme this year is owls. We took 8.5" squares and traced an owl design on each one with a Sharpie. She asked her class to color the owls, using Crayola crayons. I pieced and machine quilted the hanging.

On a smaller scale, a child could make a mug rug or small wall hanging to give as a gift.

My wall hanging should be back from the Durham Fair today. Rhonda - I will send you a PM when I have it.
Attached Thumbnails vickys-owl-wall-hanging-2.jpeg  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM

that is indeed colorful, do you iron the crayons to heat set them? can it be washed, inquiring minds and all.. or is it just for class display? seems like that should go to the quilts for kids if it can be washed wouldn't that be a nice addition for them?

waiting here silently , good old silent me (shush up Nancia), like an angel for partner names. think that someday soon we might get those.. praying my partner likes my more somber colored wall hanging. I had a lot of learning to do when I made it ugh Y seams! not running to do those again any decade soon lol. I loved the one fabric I used saved it and saved it and well finally gave it up and used it. Its just not splashy like my usual stuff. my hidden alter self

Nancia I note that your not signed up in my new runner swap. I will sit there tapping my toes. you can do it and make baby clothes I know you can. give you a great partner! (me??? lol).. we would love to have your chatter there your always such a kick in the pants and we get along as partners in crime rather well I think. and think about it when this swap is over maybe just maybe Rhonda will do another one!!!! I promise to go outside the box on the next one ..
Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Just checking the date due. Will finish mine this week i think. It is all cut up, so just need to start the sewing process. Can't decide if i want to do more than 1. That's the trouble with having friends-- you start to think of things they might like if you gifted it to them. Just lost one of my old friends, not to death, but intolerance. I miss him already, but not the drama. I find tho, in myself , less tolerance than in the past. Ironic, isn't it. And yet, if i were all the things he thinks i am , I wouldn't want to be friends with me. So, I did him a favor, and declared enough! As a friend i refuse to be treated that way. Wonder how he treats his enemies?
Speaking of loss, i have been going through a very hard time being without my kids, and in particular, my dgd. I just feel so sad to not have her here asking little person questions like, 'whatcha doin, grammi?' She is the most darling two year old! I was crying when my daughter left me off at the airport. I love my husband, and my pets, but i just grieve for my kids. Is it just me? Anyone else going through this? And I will be going to visit on November 3-17, but after that, not again until May and the new baby's birth. I should have said great when they offered to move here 4 years ago. But really, I'd rather move there. Oh, poo! Sorry, i don't even feel like sewing or quilting, or anything. Quick, anyone got some worms? Never mind. I don't even feel like eating them.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Aww Nancia I am so sorry you are having a hard time! I am with you - still job hunting, getting really depressed (doesn't ANYONE want me???) and youngest daughter is now a senior - when we go out on the football field for senior night and they announce her I am going to be bawling my eyes out.

Anyway I got my wall hanging back from Durham Fair - it got an Honorable Mention but for some reason my Project Linus quilt got a second and it wasn't NEARLY as nice. They don't know how to judge at that fair. I did get a first for my Mexican Star quilt at least.

If you have any worms, pass'em on....
Attached Thumbnails img00330-20130107-0552.jpg   finished-wh-rhondas-4th-swap.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

From Elisabrat: that is indeed colorful, do you iron the crayons to heat set them? can it be washed, inquiring minds and all.. or is it just for class display? seems like that should go to the quilts for kids if it can be washed wouldn't that be a nice addition for them?

Yes you can iron to heat set. However if you wash it the colors fade out to a pastel shade. Not sure if it fades from the wash or from the dryer so perhaps do a test square and hang it to dry? My friend is going to keep this in her classroom but they may hang it in the hallway for display.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Jnct14-- i, too, am sorry for your hard times! Being an adult is so often the pits. I try to act grown up only when completely necessary and unavoidable. My dr years ago, when i told him i was depressed, looked at my list of 'stuff' that I was dealing with, told me that sometimes we are just plain sad, with reason to be! If it helps, we want you, and care about y, and so many of us have been in your shoes. Hugs, honey! Pm any time. I don't have answers, but i listen really well!
your quilts are beautiful , and i know that wall hanging is going to delight someone here very soon! Congrats on all your prizes!

Last edited by nancia; 10-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Good to see some action here at last. September is a busy month for many people. I on the other hand have very little to do except going to work. I have been working on some things for work to be used as prizes for participating in fun stuff we do. Right now we are playing Company Bingo and winners get a prize. We are making tombstones which will be displayed in the gardens through Halloween and there will be prizes for them too. I am making things like pot holders, small wall hangings from leftover blocks, glass cases and fabric bowls.

JNCT14: The owl quilt turned out great and it shows that the kids had a good time doing it. Very nice of you being able to share this project with the kids. How was the fair?

Nancia, I'm sorry you are in a sad place right now. I have had to go through the loss of a loved friend do to behavior and being away from family. I empathize. It is hard being away from loved ones. We do keep them in our heart.

peace
Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

JNCT14, some how I missed part of the thread and want to say CONGRATS' on your quilts. The Mexican Star is awesome. There are so many people in the same situation J. You are not alone and your situation has nothing to do with you. The "New improved business plans" of this nation have forgotten what they are in business for except for the money part. Every business, large and small are cutting costs by "unemploying" people. If I was queen.......! I have you in my thoughts.

I want to share a pic of one of my prizes for work. I did post this on another thread but we need some more pictures here.

Enjoy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439191[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439193[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439195[/ATTACH]

The Hiaku is an unknown author.
peace to all
Attached Thumbnails dsc04801.jpg   dsc04803.jpg   dsc04804.jpg   dsc04805.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Thank you, ube. I have some good news, i found my cat. He was sleeping on the neighbor's driveway. He has now been fed and cosseted ! If he would just stay upstairs, but on the positive side, as long as he can make it over the fence he's doing ok. I was just about to hire jnct14 to be my private eye and have her go find him. I have so many blessings, and sometimes i get too tired to count them, and i forget they are there . Thanks all for reminding me!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Hey, I think you solved Js' problem. "JNCT14, Private Eye"! I always thought my DH would be good at that kind of work. he can be very stealthy when he wants to be.

There are a lot of people looking for information out there. Info of all sorts!
peace