Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6 >

Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6

Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6

Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
No problem. I have a question though....do you have a bumble bee on your embroidery machine? I have been trying to put a cute little bumble bee above a flower on my middle block and wanted to have "Qbee" above it your know....but I can't hand embroidery a silly bee....messed up 3 squares trying :( Then, I tried to applique a little bee but that didn't work either so now I am having to redo the center block. I am going to blow off the bee idea but then wondered if you or anyone in our group I guess has a way of adding a little bee and my code name "Qbee" to the center block on my first row (which will be the center row). Thanks so much!!! I know I sound all frustrated now but I really am excited about this project :D :D
Oh....and I promise NOT to try embroidery on any of ya'lls rows...LOL ;)

Originally Posted by TFquilter
Please let me know when you put it in the mail okay and I will be looking for it...:)
Gail, I don't have an embroidery machine..here's an idea though..I have seen little bumble bees in like JoAnn's that you can iron on and then handstitch around it in small stitches to make sure it stays...would you consider something like that? If you did consider that, I would show you a preview first of the bumble bee...however, there might be someone who has an embroidery machine and is able to do that...sorry you had to redo your block so many times and that would be frustrating for anybody...and I could applique one too...think about it...Elaine
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 AM

That sounds really cute. At this point, I don't even know that I will have that silly flower though. Long story short, I had the cat, etc. cut out and just needed to applique it on, which I wanted to do on machine with a zig zag stitch that would look like a satin stitch. Well.....for whatever reason it like pulled the fabric. It's hard to explain but the fabric like bunched or pulled tight from the zig zag. Anyway, I called a lady who teaches one of my quilting classes and she is meeting me at my LQS today to try to get the silly row finished. Who would have thought that it would be this hard to get 5 blocks done! I will let you know the status this evening. If I don't get to the Post Office in time today, I will let you know. Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Qbee
No problem. I have a question though....do you have a bumble bee on your embroidery machine? I have been trying to put a cute little bumble bee above a flower on my middle block and wanted to have "Qbee" above it your know....but I can't hand embroidery a silly bee....messed up 3 squares trying :( Then, I tried to applique a little bee but that didn't work either so now I am having to redo the center block. I am going to blow off the bee idea but then wondered if you or anyone in our group I guess has a way of adding a little bee and my code name "Qbee" to the center block on my first row (which will be the center row). Thanks so much!!! I know I sound all frustrated now but I really am excited about this project :D :D
Oh....and I promise NOT to try embroidery on any of ya'lls rows...LOL ;)

Please let me know when you put it in the mail okay and I will be looking for it...:)
Gail, I don't have an embroidery machine..here's an idea though..I have seen little bumble bees in like JoAnn's that you can iron on and then handstitch around it in small stitches to make sure it stays...would you consider something like that? If you did consider that, I would show you a preview first of the bumble bee...however, there might be someone who has an embroidery machine and is able to do that...sorry you had to redo your block so many times and that would be frustrating for anybody...and I could applique one too...think about it...Elaine
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Okay...it'll work out...:)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Now I'm curious. Did it bunch up because of tension adjustment or stabilizer? I always have machine issues when it comes to doing anything "fancy" -- it always waits until I'm in the center of the piece or the focal point when it decides to skip, pucker, speed up, stretch out, or whatever. But the borders and edges are always perfectly done.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM

Nancy.....I guess if I told you that I didn't know what "stabilizer" was until I met with Judy at the LQS today that would answer your question...LOL! Yeah....actually both. I did not use any kind of stabilizer or "fusable bonding" like she taught me today and I also didn't know to adjust the "foot tension".

Bottom line....I have only been sewing/quilting since July and tried to over do it. Judy had a really good point today in that I was trying to do too much. She was really sweet and put my mind at ease about the whole Row Robin experience. Some people are really good at applique or embroidery and that is what they do in the row they do.....I'm able to do piecing and am getting pretty good at paper piecing (according to her) so that's what I need to stick to. Although she did teach me a fun technique for appliqe using fusable bonding and then doing a blanket stitch :D Also, I was trying to get stuff on my first row that someone else might can do if they know how.

So, long story short, I am going to take her advise and "stop sweating it and enjoy the fun process". :D So TFquilter, since I'm late I'll be sending it to you via UPS so you will get it quicker. I'm really sorry for the delay; it won't happen in the future. I will let you know as soon as I drop it off and get you the tracking number, etc. We have to get the binding cut, etc.

Also, FQ Stash Queen, be sure and let me know when you send yours out so I can be looking for it. Don't forget to wrap it in plastic or something just in case the post office chews it up! They have really torn up some of the Boomerang envelopes.
Thanks ya'll! :D

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Now I'm curious. Did it bunch up because of tension adjustment or stabilizer? I always have machine issues when it comes to doing anything "fancy" -- it always waits until I'm in the center of the piece or the focal point when it decides to skip, pucker, speed up, stretch out, or whatever. But the borders and edges are always perfectly done.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks QBee and sorry you had so many problems...I knew you tried to meet the February 15th deadline & I'll be waiting to hear from you. Relax and have fun..Elaine
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Qbee....relax...we are doing this for fun...don't stress yourself out....
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks ya'll....I am making myself not be so OCD about it all. I got a real wake up call last night. I lost a college buddy yesterday down in Texas. I can't believe it.....he was 43 years old and left behind a wife and FIVE BOYS! The oldest is 15 years old. I feel awful. What is most upsetting is that he told NO ONE about not feeling well; not even his wife. She kept asking him to see Doctor and he made excuses. He and I talked at Thanksgiving and he was all "everything is great!" PLEASE make sure your husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, etc. get their colonoscopy exams.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM

sorry to hear about your lost..I agree men never want to go to the Dr......why? it just does not make sense. I force my husband to go....I tell him that if he gets sick I will put in a nursing home...I will not take care of him....LOL...he knows I am kidding, but it gets him to the Dr....and that is all that matters.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm sorry QBee about your college friend and the family he left behind..that's sad... :cry: