Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6 >

Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6

Row Robin 2011 -- Group 6

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
TFquilter:
Eeek.....OK...I'm starting to get REALLY nervous here. I mean your block is just so stunning...seriously! I started quilting in July and I don't have an embroidery machine :( But...I thought about your row all night last night and came up with a couple of ideas while soaking in the tub! LOL...I do my best thinking there! I need you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me HONESTLY if you don't like any of them 'cause I am still thinking!! They are all applique ideas.
1st idea - I thought about doing the "present" for your ladies past and present in silhouettes. For example, I was thinking of say doing a little girl silhouette, not in black but solid to match background, like say if it is a pink/burgandy floral background the little girl would be burgandy. Here is an example of what I mean by silhouette:
http://karenswhimsy.com/girl-silhouette.shtm
Then one block could be a teen with more "hip" background fabric. And have them age or something like that.
2nd idea - Was to do a row of dresses along the same line with the "aging" process. Like the first little dress would be a baby girl dress, then the next would be a little girl, then teen, the wedding or something like that. These would be more "present" looking as well.
3rd idea - Just ladies "stuff" like a dress shoe in one block, a evening gown in one block, a hat in one block, etc. Or say a whole row of hats that span the years from say, bonnets to 20s style to now kind of thing...that might be hard...hmm.
OK...that's all I have but I can think of others if you don't like any of these. If you like all, which do you like best?? Also, I was thinking of the "present" ladies the whole time....if you want to keep it all victorian, I can rethink them with that theme too. I want you to LOVE your row so please feel totally free to tell me your thoughts!

Gail, do not worry okay...I love your ideas...I really like #1 or #2...what creative ideas you have..I will totally love my row cuz first of all, you made it and 2nd we are in a group...so no worry...very thoughtful ideas...:)

Originally Posted by TFquilter
Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
I would probably want to do some machine embroidery as well.
Good..see we are on a roll..:)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Oh good! I feel so much better. Also, I just realized that I will be the last person to get yours so we will both have a really good idea of what will look good at that point :D

TFquilter:
Eeek.....OK...I'm starting to get REALLY nervous here. I mean your block is just so stunning...seriously! I started quilting in July and I don't have an embroidery machine :( But...I thought about your row all night last night and came up with a couple of ideas while soaking in the tub! LOL...I do my best thinking there! I need you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me HONESTLY if you don't like any of them 'cause I am still thinking!! They are all applique ideas.
1st idea - I thought about doing the "present" for your ladies past and present in silhouettes. For example, I was thinking of say doing a little girl silhouette, not in black but solid to match background, like say if it is a pink/burgandy floral background the little girl would be burgandy. Here is an example of what I mean by silhouette:
Then one block could be a teen with more "hip" background fabric. And have them age or something like that.
2nd idea - Was to do a row of dresses along the same line with the "aging" process. Like the first little dress would be a baby girl dress, then the next would be a little girl, then teen, the wedding or something like that. These would be more "present" looking as well.
3rd idea - Just ladies "stuff" like a dress shoe in one block, a evening gown in one block, a hat in one block, etc. Or say a whole row of hats that span the years from say, bonnets to 20s style to now kind of thing...that might be hard...hmm.
OK...that's all I have but I can think of others if you don't like any of these. If you like all, which do you like best?? Also, I was thinking of the "present" ladies the whole time....if you want to keep it all victorian, I can rethink them with that theme too. I want you to LOVE your row so please feel totally free to tell me your thoughts!

Gail, do not worry okay...I love your ideas...I really like #1 or #2...what creative ideas you have..I will totally love my row cuz first of all, you made it and 2nd we are in a group...so no worry...very thoughtful ideas...:)

Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM

TF -- Still up for discussion and opinions, but here is what I thought

1. Original row w/your row attached (plus any sashing originator included)

2. Journal with picture, if possible. (Can be printed out on regular printer paper if you don't have time or access to regular photo print)

3. Extra "leftover" block for back with your screen name. Not necessarily with theme, but fabrics so you connect who did which row on front.

4. Quilt label or signature block for swap title, screen name, real name, date, location

Did I get that right? Do you all agree? If we all include a picture of us working on each row, the owner can use that to make her own collage for the back.

Comments?
Good good idea!..I could not get this so my granddaughter helped me finally figure out what we were doing...I just couldn't figure out the xtra block thing...BUT NOW I GET it...love it...good idea!! I hope everyone agrees...

:thumbup:
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by pamesue
Ok, I can do that ...that won't be a problem for me...

I will get busy with my quilt label...I will do an embroidery one with signature lines as well...but first I need to use Bubble jet on the fabric so the signatures wont get washed away..(I will do that before I do the embroidery)
What is "bubble jet"?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM

TFquilter:

Absolutely love idea for #2. Very creative. Can't wait to see what you come up with for mine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
Originally Posted by pamesue
Ok, I can do that ...that won't be a problem for me...

I will get busy with my quilt label...I will do an embroidery one with signature lines as well...but first I need to use Bubble jet on the fabric so the signatures wont get washed away..(I will do that before I do the embroidery)
What is "bubble jet"?
Bubble Jet is fluid used to treat your fabric so that your signature is permanent. I always did embroidery labels, but have done a few that have been printed off the computer or hand written and then they have washed away. so by using the bubble jet and bubble jet rinse the writing is permanent.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Is someone going to print or have printed the labels for each of the quilts so that they will all match? I think that's a great idea, and I don't mind pitching in to pay for it.

What exactly are we putting in the journal and what's up with the picture? Is it for us, or one for each of us?

Nancy, I am concerned about your theme. If you want all the stars on black, are you going to provide the black fabric or do you want all different shades and patterns of black? Since I am blessed with getting it first, help me out here. Also, do you want stars are solid colors, or are batiks, etc. ok? And do you want brights, neons, lights, paisleys (just kidding, but you know what I mean)? And if I get this first and you aren't doing the black, does that mean black on black is ok? Need a little refining on this one.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

FQ Stash Queen -- don't be concerned. I'm going to send a strip of colored sashing to put between each row so the blacks won't really touch each other. Black solid, black mottle, black on black -- all ok as long as it "reads" black. At first I was thinking of using batiks, but lately the ones I've seen are softer tones. I'm looking for bright -- solids, neons; I want it to glow out from the black background. Besides, batiks are getting so darn expensive... If I find the patterns I'm looking for, I'll post a picture of kinda-sorta what I'm aiming towards. It won't be difficult, and probably the easiest row to do.

This is going to be for me.

I guess the journal entries would include who was working on the row, time of year, description of geographic location, maybe some small talk about what's going on at the time (eg. holiday prep, kids, grandkids, major events). Small talk, rambling thoughts, anecdotes, recipes, etc. In your case maybe where you happen to be at the time. Picture would be us working on each of the other quilts so four separate pix and then maybe a pic of each of us with our completed quilt. That way we have a face to put with each row in the journals.

I believe the consensus was that each of us would take care of our own quilt label.

Am I right on this, everybody????? I don't want to be a dictator -- I want everybody happy and everybody to get what they want.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM

I believe the consensus was that each of us would take care of our own quilt label.
Am I right on this, everybody????? I don't want to be a dictator -- I want everybody happy and everybody to get what they want.
Yes....you are correct....each person is making their own label :D I already have someone embroderying (sp??) mine....geez...I have NO idea how to spell that..LOL! :D
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM

Yes....you are correct....each person is making their own label :D I already have someone embroderying (sp??) mine....geez...I have NO idea how to spell that..LOL! :D
Yes, we are making our own signature label....:)