Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Scrappy and White 9 Patch Block Swap... signups close Sept 20! >

Scrappy and White 9 Patch Block Swap... signups close Sept 20!

Scrappy and White 9 Patch Block Swap... signups close Sept 20!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the address, Sewbiz! I'll try mailing mine out tomorrow.

Our truck's transmission broke and we are down to only one vehicle,which my DH takes to work. It's going to take at least two more weeks before the mechanic will have the truck fixed. I'm glad the weather has been so nice and that, even though we live on the outside of the town, I can still walk to the Post Office and the grocery store. Thank heavens for small, one street, Midwestern towns!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Oh, that is nice, NZ... but no rush to mail the blocks. We still have several weeks til our deadline of Oct. 10.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Sorry I missed it. 😢
Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mmonohon View Post
Sorry I missed it. 
Oh no... I'm sorry too!
Old 09-23-2018, 04:41 PM

How much do I love sewbizgirl? Let me tell you the ways.

So. I was feeling pretty sassy getting all my blocks done this weekend. All I had to do was square them up, which I was going to do at home this week.

As many of you know (or soon will, lol) We go to our cabin every weekend and that is where my darling hubby made me my sewing studio. So. We are about 90% to home and I realized I FORGOT my blocks at the cabin. I am now ready to cry. Hubby had to get to bed by 6 tonight in order to make an early (3am) scheduled thingy at work, and I have to decide.....

Do I drive an almost 6 hr round trip by myself to get my blocks? Do I beg forgiveness and slink away in shame? Do I start over?

Well, I host another swap and I know what a P.I.A being a hostess can "sometimes" be. I'm pretty lucky, but I have had a few....anywho……I can't do that to sewbiz…...so...…...

So what have I been doing tonight? Watching television? Um......no.....sewing up MORE blocks. On the bright side, I will have Plenty once the swap happens and I take my baggies up north to the cabin.....

I will get them done. Hoping by Thursday with a mailing by Friday. I'll overnight them if I have to in order to make the deadline. Mercy!

Twice as many to play with I guess. But in the mean time, I'm seeing 1/4" seams and 2" finished center blocks in my sleep I bet!! LOL

Ugh! The price you pay for having a poor memory at times!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM

Red, You are lucky it's a block that doesn't take very long to make. And, look at all the practice you had, so your blocks are really going to be lovely the second time! I'm glad you opted to make more, driving all that time doesn't sound like a lot of fun, and having plenty of 9patches to work with will give you an opportunity to try more than one setting pattern.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM

Isn't the due date Oct. 10? I started to panic while reading Red's entry but then went back to instructions to read the due date and the date on my computer. I think there is a couple of weeks before blocks are due.

I'm having difficulty with squaring my blocks to 6 1/2". They're either an eighth inch too small or quarter inch too big. I'm hoping slowing down and ironing after each step will correct my problems. I have many practice blocks to play with . . . or put into a happy snappy scrappy dog quilt.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Oh Chris... we have over two weeks before the shipping deadline. Relax! I think you need to look at your calendar again, LOL. Hopefully you will be going back to the Cabin before then. I’m so sorry you left your blocks behind. Sounds like something I would do... but no way would I drive that far to get them!

So how is everyone doing making their blocks? Did I make the deadline too short? Do we need an extra week, perhaps? Let me know. I can push it back if people feel they don’t have enough time. Tell me soon if we need to change it, (not at the last minute, please.)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM

MaryMo, You're not alone.. I measure every step along the way and now I have a small pile that the centers are just a thread or 2 over or under 2" and I'm not taking them apart again they are MINE ! I have 70 done of which about 50 are good..SO, at work tomorrow I'll be cutting and sewing the day away if I'm not busy with customers or phone calls..The problem is I've been trying to use up the 2.5" candies from swaps here on the board..They are not true to size so I have to stop using them... Another problem I have is that I can't sew a straight line even with the foot that has a guide..I start out fine and then the seam either gets more narrow or wider and I have a wonky section..
Grrrrrrr!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

MaryMo, when my blocks are just that tiny bit too small, I let some seams out. I sew a new seam right beside the old one before I remove it.

I don’t know how your blocks could come out 1/4” too big unless you started with bigger than 2.5” squares or strips. The best thing to do is experiment and find where your scant quarter inch seam needs to line up on your throat plate. Then put a piece of duck tape or painter’s tape there and stay lined up with it as you sew. My Juki, that I do most of my piecing on, has a scant quarter inch foot... so all I need do is keep my seam edge at the edge of the foot.

We will all become better pieces after this!