Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM

Very pretty blocks Gannyrosie
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Thank you, Judith1005! That is encouraging, but knowing that there is an audience for these blocks makes me nervous. I have a square-up 4.5" ruler for the square blocks and half-square triangle blocks and everything is measured fine before I do my final piecing. I really do want these to look nice for the recipient.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Default My blocks

Originally Posted by marietta View Post
Dsenters, Is the pale pink batik for background for the churn dash block, For blocks you are keeping or sending in for the swap?
Apparently I didn’t read completely through and had caught a piece of one persons mention of likes of pink and when going over the guidelines this morning I see cream background.
That isn’t a problem. Because I can simply keep the first two for myself and sub the background of the others that I was going to be short on the fifth one anyway.
Times to short to worry about yesterday’s mistakes and tomorrow wants to be here today. So off to my fabric stash I go. And I hope like heck I can figure out how to post a pic on this board from my iPhone 😩
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 AM

Dsenters, it was decided that we would use a white on white for our background fabric. I know the first post says cream, but later on it was changed to white on white. Please verify with our hostess, ArmyLady.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Crispy, you can do this, just pace yourself, we have plenty of time. After 4 blocks you'll have a system & all will be wonderful. It is good to expand our quilting abilities. I personally experienced quilting growth this year when I learned how to applique, but, boy howdy, it made me squeamish at first. I am more linear due to a math background so angled blocks come natural. The artistic free flow of a lot of quilts posted on the Picture thread & that I've seen at shows are mighty foreign to me but I recognize the masterful quilts they make. I challenge myself to experience new ways to quilt. I have a beautiful quilt kit but I must master even the blocks I make before I begin that quilt. Like doing addition & subtraction but want to hurry up & do multiplication & division before I master the former. I'll get there by pacing myself a step at a time. You will do marvelous things because you care.
hugs,
dj
Old 12-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Here are my last two sets. Hope everybody likes them.
Attached Thumbnails 101_0582a.jpg   101_0579a.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Mighty pretty, Libster!
hugs,
dj
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
Oh no....the points are on the edge!!! I measured and cut so carefully. I sewed with a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. I followed all the rules. I'll do a couple more samples, but if I can't get my seam allowances on the points, I might have to bail from this!
Often the solution for points on the edge is not to use the scant quarter inch seam. You need to cut your pieces big enough to use a true quarter inch seam. That gives you that quarter inch space between the points and the edge of the block.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by djmat View Post
Mighty pretty, Libster!
hugs,
dj

Thanks, DJ.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the encouragement DJmat and Sewbizgirl! I'm going at it again after work tonight! I was using the scant seam. I thought that was recommended earlier. I'll go the full 1/4 inch. Thanks all!