Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Clean up your stash! >

Clean up your stash!

Clean up your stash!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:39 PM

I donated a large portion of my stash, most of it big-box store fabric and some just prints I was tired of working with. Now, almost everything is organized into project kits and I only have a few fabrics that don't have a project yet but were too pretty to let go.

I opened up a WIP that I had abandoned because assembling the blocks was so tedious and slow for a simple design. I separated out the blocks I already made to be a table runner instead, and chose a design I could chain-piece with the remaining HSTs. I put on some music and got to work. Made some good progress!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 PM

You can sell them if you don't want to finish or give them to a church group, guild to make up for donations. Backings are expensive. Remember to take it off your taxes.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 AM

I'm experiencing many of the same feelings expressed above. I have too much fabric (only because I'll never be able to do anything with some of it), I will retire from Mass to NC din a year or two (how am I going to be able to get all this fabric packed) I have a drawer full of civil war type fabric (don't like the colors) I have a drawer full of, well, you get it.
I know I won't have that much time in my life to be able to make all these quilts.
Love the story about the exploding suitcase. LOLLLLL
Old 08-22-2016, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

To those who are using stash, what patterns are you using for stars reduction?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
To those who are using stash, what patterns are you using for stars reduction?
huh? Don't understand your question....."stars reduction"?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 AM

Been working for two days on cleaning up scraps, misplaced items and project boxes. Cutting, cutting and more cutting. I have two Leader Ender projects that are both scrappy and non-repeated pieces. I let the scraps build up a few months too long but this is fun. I also took a class from Pat Sloan when she came to our guild and also tossing pieces in a project box for one of those projects. I make a lot of charity items and use my stash "no longer committed to this fabric" for the backings or bindings. Same thing for FQs (either gifted, grab bag content or the like) all get cut for strip quilting.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 AM

I went thru the last four totes of fabric along with two other boxes that came from somewhere? I did a fast and dirty sort. If my first reaction was I did not like it I dumped it in the go box I found a bunch of clothing fabric and some other weird fabric and got rid of all that, if it was thin or poor quality, Gone. The only ugly fabric I kept was flannel because I can use that as my middle layer in rag quilts. I got it down to one smaller tote of quilt fabric and one regular tote of the costume fabrics and trims that my daughter uses the rest is packed in my car to go away to donate. I feel way better and then I finished up a stash quilt that used up left over charms, scrap and some yardage. I have two UFO's out and working on them. Getting it thinned out made me feel better and more productive
Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Should be "stash" hate autocorrect some days...
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
huh? Don't understand your question....."stars reduction"?
Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM

This has been interesting. My husband always tells me that my stash is more than I can make up in my lifetime. I remind him that my mom lived to be 98! Of course, I really don't expect to match her record but I do have that as a goal! HA I also work on more than one thing at a time. Wish I didn't and would start and finish one project before starting another but it seems to be in my DNA. Also, I have a large collection of fabric like the others here and at times it is great to "shop" from my stash instead of going off to the quilt store. This also happens with clothes sometimes and I find a real bargain in a drawer or closet and shop at home. Something I put away and find I can still wear...almost new sometimes.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 PM

Oh elly66, I laughed and laughed about the fabric exploding out of the suitcase. I loved the part about Brutus barking and heading for safety to his kennel. And I really need a good laugh. I was making headway sorting my stash after I put up 3 sets of shelves in 3 different closets.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-29-2016 at 03:17 AM. Reason: remove pda