Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Clean up your stash! >

Clean up your stash!

Clean up your stash!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM

Oh Ladies, I should be following your great examples.

But with driving around to pick up Row by Row kits this summer, I cannot resist buying a bit extra. I have one more store to get to and I doubt I will just be buying the kit. Of course I only have until labour day to get any sewing done before my university courses start in September. Somehow, I do not think I will get any project completed.

I did not go to my Guild's garage sale last week. Last year I did not sell and came home with mumble/mumble yards of fabric. But it is so pretty and I do love a great deal on purple batiks.

I do have my first quilt on my LA, I was almost finished quilting it, when the bobbin ran out. Then I got distracted by laundry, a friend stopped by, you know how it is. I will finish the quilting tomorrow, but will not be doing any binding until it is cooler out.

I live on my own, so I am not hiding fabric from anyone, but I do seem to find things that I have no recollection of buying. I also sew clothes, and have quite the stash of clothing fabric. I do need to sew a few tunics for the fall as well. I have the patterns and fabrics, I just need to sit down and make them.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Word of warning! Sometimes that one piece of fabric you gave away, is the one you need now for a perfect match to whatever.....and the cost/time to replace sometimes can be frustrating.....just sayin'. I've done it! But can't save everything either..it's a catch 22.
That's what always happens to me! As long as I have room for the fabric, I"m keeping it. It will get used up sooner or later. Right now, I'm just limiting what I buy and using what I have to keep things from getting out of control.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Should be "stash" hate autocorrect some days...
One of my plans is to make up a bunch of pillowcases for us to use and then some to donate.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I have been trying to work out of my stash and I am getting cabinets for storage next week. I can't wait. Right now, I have my fabric in totes and exploding out of it.
Update: I have now got my cabinets and am going to start organizing tomorrow. Can't wait.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Going through the same thing. Thought I was getting ahead and found 2 bags (large storage vac bags) in a suitcase hubby pulled out of the attic. He was going to donate it (the suitcase) and realized it was heavy. His eyes rolled when he opened it. When he opened it, it also exploded. Evidently the zipper from the suitcase ripped the top bag. Laughed. Poor Brutus barked and ran to his kennel! I laughed more.
Your post made me laugh. You have done your good deed for the day.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-29-2016 at 03:15 AM. Reason: edit quote to match edit of original
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I'm cleaning up my stash for the move in two weeks. Yesterday I discovered , in a cabinet, about 25 backs for quilts and about 30 UFO's in another cabinet. I absolutely had no idea there were that many. My DH helped me pack and he said I had really packed my room solid, he couldn't believe what was in that small room. I actually feel overwhelmed now, I wonder what I will do with all these quilts when I finish with them. About 25 of the 30 UFO's are vintage quilts or blocks I have bought at flea markets or a yard sale, all in wonderful condition. I have given so much fabric away and I found even more to get rid of last night. I don't like having all this fabric and projects, it's just too much. I've always been very orderly in my life and this is disorder to me. I'm in full rebellion now and I will make sure when we move that all my fabric and projects will be in the open and not stored away where I can't see it. Ladies and Men, start your engines and clean up your stash !
My problem is getting tops actually quilted. When I worked I'd just pay to have it done. Also the groups I sewed with had people who were willing to do the quilting as they had LA's, or mid arms. Sadly they aren't doing this anymore so my production has slowed too. BUT my stash has grown past my true comfort zone. I'm using it FIRST and not buying, except for a very special project. OR if I honestly don't have what I need.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 AM

A quilt shop near me in FL is offering rental time on their sit down machine for a reasonable rate. After I spend more time practicing on my home machine, I may give that a try. Of course, it's a brilliant strategy to get people interested in buying one!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Funny how things pile up without us noticing it...We all most likely have this problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I think my quilting stash was just fine until I began sewing clothing again. I also have two bins of charity fabrics that were donated for that use. Now there are three different stashes to keep organized. Although I enjoy having fabric ahead to pick from, it is sometimes exhausting to keep a handle on it. I think I might go through and take out some of the scraps to donate to the second hand store. It is really a good/bad thing to have projects and the fabric ahead.

All that being said, I bought some fashion fabrics today that was excellent quality woolen, silk and brocades. I just could not resist at those prices. Oh and a slightly used quiltcut that I found at a thrift store for 35 dollars. I am excited to learn to use it. see Quiltcut.com if you are interested in seeing what I got. Oh I also got a ton of Mediera (sp)? rayon thread.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-25-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My sewing room looks like fabric exploded all over. I have a storage unit (a bookcase, deep, with doors) that I can't even get into because I have boxes and boxes and moveable storage units sitting in front of it. I have boxes of fabric to the ceiling. My ironing board is a long dresser with a square board on top. I have the dresser full. I have a huge bookcase full of fabric. I have a tall, 6 1/2 ft. Dresser full of fabric. The closet is full of fabric. I have two long tables and underneath I have Rubbermaid tubs full of fabric and when I say fabric I mean kits, kits, kits, full lines of fabric including fat quarter bundles, layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls and lots of yardage of the fabric. I have tons of fabric and I don't want to get rid of it butt I can't hardly sew since there is fabric on my cutting board and I have to put that on my already full ironing board to cut something. We are planning on selling and moving to a bigger place in the spring but I need to do something in the meantime. I have given away at least 50 quilt kits to members here and on my blog and am still exploding. And when I say boxes I mean fabric boxes, Rubbermaid tubs, baskets, etc. And I have two bookcases in the computer room filled with some of my book and some of my magazines. I have shelves on my sewing room wall with lots of magazines and books already. I doubt I will ever even open them again. I should just throw them out. They go back years and years. I really can't organize because there is not an inch of space left. I do need a bigger room. I asked my husband if I could move it into the master bedroom and we could sleep in the sewing room and he said no. He thought I was crazy for suggesting that. Maybe since he went into my sewing room today and couldn't maneuver around, he might agree now.

Last edited by jcrow; 08-27-2016 at 03:36 PM.