Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Reasons (aka Excuses?) "not" to Clean-Up-Tidy-Up Our Sewing Areas ....

My #1 excuse is that I don't mind cleaning up but I certainly love to sew more than clean. If I have a short free time during the day, I sure don't want to be cleaning or tidying up.

Cleaning up isn't worth the Emergency Room trip when you find rotary cutters the hard way.

Cleaning up isn't worth the sorrow when you find the shears that you swore someone stole from you and you replaced them.

Cleaning up isn't worth a divorce after you uncover love letters to your spouse from their current lover. Spouse was sure you'd never find them.
    Not worth the eeewww factor when you find a flat mouse under the stash.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Prepper reasons

Your house will never float down the river with your stash and 2 dozens sewing machines.

When the power goes out you can wrap the whole family and pets in layers of fabric to keep them warm.

If you shelter in place you have enough fabric to block airflow in all the rooms.
    If you need heat you could (gasp) burn your fabric and sewing machine tables to keep warm.

If you have a fire and the rest of the house burns, you can still cover the family.
    You can set trip alarms all through your property with thread.

You can float down a river with tubs tied together.

Blog Entries
    Dust is a furniture protector.

I have a broken ankle and can't get up the stairs. Is that a good enough excuse?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Every single one of the excuses previously mentioned LOL

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I'd rather sew than clean, and someday it will be my payback for my kids for all the times they didn't tidy their rooms when they were teens.
    ďYou canít use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.Ē ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I make such a mess when I'm cleaning!

I'm through explaining to my husband why I need a room to myself for quilting. I'm demonstrating the need.
    Last edited by cathyvv; 03-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

These are all great "reasons" & most apply to my sewing room. 1 more for me is that the bins of fabric against the outside walls is great insulation in the winter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I have a broken ankle and can't get up the stairs. Is that a good enough excuse?
    Yikes, Patrice...when did you do that? Having done that a few years ago, I know how frustrating and limiting it is when you have stairs. I hope you are on the mend quickly.

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s excuses...my sewing room is usually cleaner than other parts of my house. I have to admit I’m a little OCD.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm waiting for my friend to come over to help me clean.
    When cleaning I find items I've been looking for and start working on them and cleaning stops
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    I need a bigger room!
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    The only reason I donít clean is, I forget where I put things. I put a piece of material away in a safe place. I wanted to use it for my mug rugs....guess what....it is so safe I canít find it. I had to use other fabric, sigh.
    I have the same problem.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

*giggles*
    With each of your posts, I am thinking oh there's me .... and then there's me again!
    Then when I think I have seen "the best" .... another "the best", shows up!
    You're all just too darned creative with your excuses!!!

Rotten excuse, because of the circumstances. Time to send your husband up with a mission to mess the main floor of your home!!!!!

Dunster ... perhaps you want to borrow this quote?
    I did it as an embroidered mini quilt a year ago.
    My thoughts were that it would give me permission
    while advising any visitors to take heed!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/873175...posted-public/

LeonF ... you have given me way too many visualizations.
    You really should do a series of quilty cartoons based on those
    Put them on fabric and you would be a best seller, for sure!!!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 03-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    Every time I clean things up I cannot find anything.
    I am the same way lol
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I only clean my 8' long cutting/ work table when it gets so full I can't get to the cutting mat, really. I just keep piling fabric up as I cut, open pattern books on top of stacks of future possibilities.

I never really put anything away except for fabric going back into my stash. No cabinets, drawers or closets to put things in, never to be seen again. Not being a tool or gadget collector, there is no need for storing stuff. keeping it simple equals freedom to create.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Yikes, Patrice...when did you do that? Having done that a few years ago, I know how frustrating and limiting it is when you have stairs. I hope you are on the mend quickly.

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s excuses...my sewing room is usually cleaner than other parts of my house. I have to admit I’m a little OCD.
    I broke my ankle on Jan 25th, had surgery on Feb 5th or 6th. I'm doing okay. I have to go back to the Dr. next Wed and she's going to take the sutures out so I'll probably know more then. Right now, I'm bored and at the same time seem to lack concentration to really do much. I"m hoping things turn around soon.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I cannot get into my sewing room. However, on the upside, I picked up another sewing machine last week and my mother hasn't noticed it yet.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Then I won't be able to find anything. This is a true statement, each time I clean my sewing area I can't find what I am looking for after but if you would ask for the same item before I cleaned I could tell exactly where it was.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    I broke my ankle on Jan 25th, had surgery on Feb 5th or 6th. I'm doing okay. I have to go back to the Dr. next Wed and she's going to take the sutures out so I'll probably know more then. Right now, I'm bored and at the same time seem to lack concentration to really do much. I"m hoping things turn around soon.
    Best of luck on your continued recuperation...time heals! Maybe you can do some quilt planning while you are waiting.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Best of luck on your continued recuperation...time heals! Maybe you can do some quilt planning while you are waiting.
    ........ and lots of online shopping with that foot propped, so she can be really ready to start sewing when the energy and enthusiasm comes back (and ability to climb that wooden mountain!)
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Oh Tartain that is soooo me, if I just lay it down somewhere, I can find it, but put it in a safe place where I know
    where it will be, I might as well go out and bury it somewhere, I can never find it. Am looking for several things now
    that I can't find because I put them somewhere "safe". Sometimes I spend more time looking for stuff than sewing it seems and still can't find what I want and I know it is "somewhere there"

Your other hobby is archaeology and you want to leave a challenge for the next owner of the house.

You are doing aging tests on fabrics.

Fire department wants you to tests for spontaneous combustion of non oily fabrics.

You can play Tetris with your bolts and folded fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    Then I won't be able to find anything. This is a true statement, each time I clean my sewing area I can't find what I am looking for after but if you would ask for the same item before I cleaned I could tell exactly where it was.
    This is me exactly! The last time I decided to straighten up/reorganize, I couldn't find my seam guide I had just bought. I looked where it was before the clean up. Nope, not there. I was getting very frustrated and was standing there thinking "Where in the world did I put it?" when I glanced up at the shelves. There's a set of those little pull out drawers in a plastic frame on the lower shelf and there was a drawer clearly marked "Seam Guides". That's always the way when I clean up. I waste more time trying to remember where I put things. I once lost some large interesting buttons for a year after a clean up.
    Patrice S

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    ........ and lots of online shopping with that foot propped, so she can be really ready to start sewing when the energy and enthusiasm comes back (and ability to climb that wooden mountain!)
    Yes! Both the planning and the online shopping have already begun!
    Patrice S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast