Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2018j

I have a huge supply of heavy weight cotton used for drapes and upholstery. I love making totes and purses, but I can’t seem to do it anymore as I’ve made plenty for family and friends. And to be honest, so many prefer name brand leather. I’m going to round them up and offer them to two ladies and if they don’t want it, I will give it to the group I give my batting to that makes dog beds. It will be a big box of fabric that just sits there. I’ve also got a box of things I’m going to sell on eBay, it’s original vintage fabric that I paid money for it at flea markets etc. it’s beautiful but I just can’t bear to cut into it, time to sell it.

Wow! What hard work y'all did in the past few days! I didn't do so well, but I went up to my sewing room early this morning and found that I had cleaned off the cutting table sometime last night. I don't remember doing it, but it really looked good... strange, but good. Today I plan to finish the binding on a couple of UFO baby quilts and maybe that neat sewing angel will clean some more tonight!

Patrice, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. That takes precedence over other things for sure
    I got a cutting table recently and I love it. It's higher than the back of my cabinet that I was using and hurting my back with.
    I put it in another spare bedroom with all my cutters, Go, rulers etc. Taking over almost the whole upstairs lol

Patrice, I’m so sorry to hear about your dogs’ health issues- it’s hard to get the energy to do anything else when our fur babies are ailing.

Hugs,
    Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

The last 2 days I've cleaned out my bedroom closet and dresser. 2 full garbage bags of clothes that I no longer want to wear or are too big for me (I recently lost 22 pounds and am loving it) that will go to thrift store next time I drive to town. They are all ready in the car. I was supposed to drive by today on my way to DD house to help with a back yard construction project, but since it's rainy today that's been cancelled, so I'm going to the sewing attic and clean up the left over mess from costume construction. Both daughters and I do costumes for Renaissance Faire and since the last 2 weekends were Faire days (our booth did extremely well this year) the sewing room looks like a storm moved through. DD says the floor covered with bits of thread and corner clippings looks like "productivity", but I think it looks like a slob lives here. So it's time to organize the costume fabrics and bring out the quilting fabrics. I do enjoy the sewing with daughters, but by the time we are done, I'm ready for some "easy" sewing with cotton.

No new organizing project for me today as it’s farrier day at the barn...the heat index is going to be around 108 so I expect we’ll be too drained to do much of anything by the time we get back. Will drop off the latest filled donation box on our way to the barn.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Why oh why is this never ending? I don't think I will fully get organized before I die!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    Why oh why is this never ending? I don't think I will fully get organized before I die!!! LOL
    LOL! I know how you feel. The more I organize and/or purge, the more I find....I blame it on living in the same house for the last 25 years...

Rob

Does anyone else get so caught up in trying to make things perfect in their rooms that quilting actually takes a back seat? I'm to the point where....am I "close enough" so I can realistically sit down and do something creative and not feel guilty about "that pile" or "those things over there"....

Sometimes I think I get a little OCD on things...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I have a huge supply of heavy weight cotton used for drapes and upholstery. I love making totes and purses, but I can’t seem to do it anymore as I’ve made plenty for family and friends. And to be honest, so many prefer name brand leather. I’m going to round them up and offer them to two ladies and if they don’t want it, I will give it to the group I give my batting to that makes dog beds. It will be a big box of fabric that just sits there. I’ve also got a box of things I’m going to sell on eBay, it’s original vintage fabric that I paid money for it at flea markets etc. it’s beautiful but I just can’t bear to cut into it, time to sell it.
    In our area, bags would be welcome at the Shelter for abused women and children. They have something instead of a plastic grocery bag.

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    Does anyone else get so caught up in trying to make things perfect in their rooms that quilting actually takes a back seat? I'm to the point where....am I "close enough" so I can realistically sit down and do something creative and not feel guilty about "that pile" or "those things over there"....

Sometimes I think I get a little OCD on things...
    every now and then that happens to me, but it’s usually after I’ve completly trashed my space by doing too many differ3nt projects at once.... then I have to take time to re-think both my work process and organization, do a major cleanup and tweak everything before I’m ready to get creative again...I’m beginning to think it’s all part of the creative process

Rob

I am trying to clean and organize my sewing room and it’s not easy. I have Too Much. Yesterday I went through a tub that said ‘jelly rolls’ to add to the group I had in a cabinet. I was actually horrified to find over 20 really good jelly rolls to add to my 7= 27 jelly rolls. Then I moved my new charm squares over and found two more tubs of charm squares, one is Moda and Eleanor Burns etc. I am glad I’m sorting my fabric but each time I turn around, I find more fabric and projects I started and didn’t finish. All are at the very end stage of adding slashing or appliqué, I must have ran into a problem with color. I did manage to do some repair on dogs toys, and look at what I can finish soon. I know I have at least four Dresden Plates ready to be sashed, all that work sewing them by hand and now I can’t get the sashing done!

Wannabee, if you work on those just-found unfinished projects, you can join the 2018 UFO Challenge & add your finished projects to the tally! Sounds like an opportunity to finish some quilts & make more room in your sewing space! I‘m sure your quilts are lovely & they deserve to come into the light to be enjoyed.

We recently had to move out of our current rental house as it was sold. YUCK. But we found a much nicer one just up the street about 10 houses. I am going into a much larger space. I used to have an 8 x 8 sewing room with a big closet. My HQ16 sat in the living room in an alcove.

I am shocked and sort of appalled with all the stuff I own. I will have plenty of room for it but right now it is an horrible mess. I will use bookcases for most of the fabric. It is hot as blazes here in Phoenix right now but it cool inside.

Cannot seem to get this picture in the right direction but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The bank suggested that I rent out my wonderful quilting space. Can't argue with that. It was extravagant to think I could take a perfectly good two bedroom apartment and keep it for myself. I found a good renter. New Frig and washer and dryer and it will be ready to go on July 15 when new renter wants it.

So that meant moving all this stuff into two bedrooms upstairs in my house. Here are some shots of where it is now. The big long arm is still down their, but it looks like that will live in the garage until such time as the garage can be spruced up, remodeled and that set up properly.

Name:  20180627_062935_resized.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  284.4 KBHere is my ironing station. What that doesn't show are the three FULL drawers of jelly rolls and charm packs. The side holds some of the taller accuquilt dies.

Name:  20180627_062914_resized.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  310.6 KBThis is the very heavy mahogony desk that my sweetie who died 7 years ago left me. I was so glad to be able to save it. We took it apart into 4 pieces and got it upstairs. Two cutting mats cover it. And there is some unused space in the drawers.

Name:  20180627_062811_resized.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  347.9 KBSewing area. This is an Amish made piece that folds out for a nice area, Bernina 1020. Mini pin board right above my head so I don't have to keep glancing at the book.

More to come.
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 06-28-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Name:  20180627_062816_resized.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  345.9 KBTwo slotted ruler storage. Beats having a pile. These need to be organized, but I do put them back.

Name:  20180627_062830_resized.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  336.6 KBMy attempt to keep things by color in tubs.

Name:  20180627_062619_resized.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  331.0 KBLots of folded pieces, and room for "what's on the bed". These are not sorted as to color, but folded FQ to half yard pieces. I only pulled out the big backing pieces by size.

Name:  20180627_062643_resized.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  349.0 KBStill on full or almost full bolts.....do I have enought?

Blog Entries
    Name:  20180627_062731_resized.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  414.8 KBAnd then there is this. What's left on the bed in various states of sorting. But that is it. No more. I need to organize the books, patterns, and start using this up. Right?

Thanks for looking. Will we get is done?

Wow, Battleaxe! You have undertaken a monumental task & I applaud you. It’s hard to relocate such a large operation. You probably ‘found’ many fabrics in your stash that can seem new. I hope you get it all sorted & can make some great quilts from all your fabric! Be sure to post your treasures.

Looks like you’ve already gotten a huge amount of the work done, Battleaxe. Good job on getting things moved and organized so quickly!

Rob

Yesterday DH and I cleaned the long arm room and I sorted my heavy weight fabrics for giving to the dog bed makers. I went through tubs and sorted things and put stuff away. I had about 10 yards of a beautiful fabric, not quilting fabric, and decided to find out more about it. On an Esty store, someone was selling 18” for $9.98. So, I put that into my sell group. He sprayed for bugs and I’ll go down soon and put the tubs away. I do need to fold my solid fabrics to make it neater. I’m determined to have things ready to sell by October 1. I have a goal anyway.....

Finished clearing out 2 underbed clear boxes that housed scraps. Decided I needed some scrap time, cutting and then sewing scrappy blocks. Putting books and patterns back where they belong. All FQs pulled for a project are going back into their homes. Pulled extra fabric for sale. Finally clearing the cutting table of the miscellaneous stuff that got put there. Great day to get it done as it is getting HOT here today.

Wow! A lot of organization has been happening this month! Congratulations to everyone for your progress!

Rob: Thanks for starting this new thread. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any updates on the previous thread and now I know. I must have missed you starting it when I was out of town. I didn't take the time to keep updated from the 12th through the 17th because I was doing family things.

I have been bouncing back and forth doing a variety of organizational tasks which means 'nothing is really getting finished!' I got two donations from my church group and they are spread out in several different places in my house. I will be putting them in a tub which will go in the garage tomorrow. I will keep out the very uneven 9 patches that number around 270 and cut them down to 5" with my die cutter. Once I get those finished, then I will go through another part of the donation. At least it will not be putting more clutter in my sewing area.

I have a charity quilt top that is on my design wall and, once that top is finished, I have lots of fabric to put away from it. After that, I will work on my En Provence (Bonnie Hunter 2016-17 Mystery). I want to get some of these done before I go through anything else in the room.
    Connie

I’m in the same boat, Connie- bouncing back and forth between multiple projects= progress being made, but nothing finished. I did take some time out to do some studio straightening today- I tamed a messy corner where I store rolls of graph paper, brown craft paper and otjer long skinny things by standing them up in a 5 gallon bucket. It’s amazing what a difference that makes. Since they are now contained I can actually see what’s there and get out what I need without knocking it all over the floor. Takes up less space, too! After breakfast I’ll look for things to throw away and also add to the donate/sell piles.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Name:  20180628_105001_resized.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  362.8 KBBad photography. But this is my design wall. What I was working on in the middle, a Quiltfox Judy Haiju pattern in fall colors. I'm up to block 8 out of 17. Then all my red white and bllue blocks that came in the mail yesterday. They are directional, which is bad for me who wants to put everything on point.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    LOL! I know how you feel. The more I organize and/or purge, the more I find....I blame it on living in the same house for the last 25 years...

Rob
    I really understand this! I will have lived in my house 40 years this August and have started the process of packing, purging, etc., in anticipation of moving in the next year. So many memories, so much "stuff", so exhausting. I pack some, donate some, throw some, cry some. It is hard to be doing this but am moving to be closer to relatives as I age. I am looking at it as an adventure though and have already scouted out 3 great quilt stores in the New Braunfels, TX, area. So life will be good!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast