Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat >

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat

Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Originally Posted by sew cornie
Sherryl, that's really pretty! I've never worked with Minkie before . . . curious what the problems are . . . other than the $$cost$$.

I'm planning to bring my plaid houses to work on - started as the BOM, but has diverged into its own unique neighborhood. I'm going to cut out as many blocks as I can ahead of time and piece them there. Also may cut out some FWSQ blocks to bring and maybe a wool project. I'm debating about bringing Boom blocks to show-and-tell. Don't have any other show-and-tell to bring along.

What projects are each of you bringing to work on?
The minkie is very stretchy and when I quilted it on the longarm I had to secure it and in doing so it stretched it, then when I took it off the whole thing was drawn up and the edges didn't want to lay flat without major adjusting.

I am going to bring my Candlequilter Star paper piecing pattern, plus I am bringing a Jenny Beyers pattern that I hope to have all the pieces cut ahead of time. Plus I might bring the Bali Double wedding ring star paper piecing project that I am working on. Plus I might bring one of the IRR III centers that I am working on.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Sherryl, One of the LQS in Vancouver had a lady request fleece on the back of a quilt they brought in for longarm quilting. I think the quilter's first experiece was like yours. She did a couple more and got better with it.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 AM

Here is a quilt that I made especially to bring with me for the retreat (just the right size for a twin). I wanted to use something that would be warm and comfy so I use minkie on the back - never again.

It is very soft and warm but not what I had hoped for.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Hi Sherryl:
Your quilt is lovely but I HAVE worked with Minky! I will NEVER work with it again! I made a baby quilt for my grandneice and the minky was on the back. Someone asked what the problems are with working with it....well, for starters, it's so slick I couldn't keep it straight and together with the pieced top to sew it. The blanket ended up with wows, tucks, pleats nd hills and valleys the size of the Grand Canyon. The only thing the blanket had going for it was it was so nice and soft and cuddly but not anything I was very proud of to put my name on. I think I paid something like $15 yard for thge Minky fabric at our LQS which I though was very expensive but worth it for a baby quilt but I would never use it again for anything.

Anxious to see yours at the retreat.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Candlequilter: Looks like I won't be teaching you how to paper piece!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Sherryl, that's really pretty! I've never worked with Minkie before . . . curious what the problems are . . . other than the $$cost$$.

I'm planning to bring my plaid houses to work on - started as the BOM, but has diverged into its own unique neighborhood. I'm going to cut out as many blocks as I can ahead of time and piece them there. Also may cut out some FWSQ blocks to bring and maybe a wool project. I'm debating about bringing Boom blocks to show-and-tell. Don't have any other show-and-tell to bring along.

I think I'm going to bring some quilt tops and see if I can get the backs on them...maybe. Also plan to bring Christmas fabric and do some socks for Soldiers. Maybe finish up a couple UFO's that are hanging. I have attention deficit so have more projects started than I can count.

:oops:
Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 AM

I have been working on a Hunters Star -so I'm hoping to make a lot more progress on our weekend. I started a very easy flannel for one of my boys that will come with me as well. If I can't take sewing quilts I might bring my new wool pin cushions that I would like to make. Sooooo much to be done!

I'm glad I read about the minky. Your quilt is beautiful! Has anyone put flannel on the back of a batik quilt? I'm shopping for wide flannel-I thought that would be warm and soft for a man. Is there any good websites for flannel?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wine Woman
I have been working on a Hunters Star -so I'm hoping to make a lot more progress on our weekend. I started a very easy flannel for one of my boys that will come with me as well. If I can't take sewing quilts I might bring my new wool pin cushions that I would like to make. Sooooo much to be done!

I'm glad I read about the minky. Your quilt is beautiful! Has anyone put flannel on the back of a batik quilt? I'm shopping for wide flannel-I thought that would be warm and soft for a man. Is there any good websites for flannel?
Cindy, Can't direct you to any websites for wide flannel. But I would like to suggest prewashing the flannel. It shrinks a lot more than our quilting cottons and you could end up with a puckery mess and many tears when it gets laundered.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain

The minkie is very stretchy and when I quilted it on the longarm I had to secure it and in doing so it stretched it, then when I took it off the whole thing was drawn up and the edges didn't want to lay flat without major adjusting.

I am going to bring my Candlequilter Star paper piecing pattern, plus I am bringing a Jenny Beyers pattern that I hope to have all the pieces cut ahead of time. Plus I might bring the Bali Double wedding ring star paper piecing project that I am working on. Plus I might bring one of the IRR III centers that I am working on.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Sherryl, One of the LQS in Vancouver had a lady request fleece on the back of a quilt they brought in for longarm quilting. I think the quilter's first experiece was like yours. She did a couple more and got better with it.
Allpeoplequilt.com has an article about sewing with plush fabric that might be of interest
Old 05-21-2011, 02:08 PM

I had minky fabric for the backing on two baby quilts I made. I prewashed it, and my LA quilter didn't have any problems with it. The quilting design REALLY shows up well on the back.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Candlequilter: Looks like I won't be teaching you how to paper piece!
Actually I am looking forward to what you have to teach because I have never taken a paper piecing lesson and I hope that I can pick up some good tips. I am always open to learning new and better techniques.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 PM

I want to make some pillowcases to go with ready to go quilts for graduation/wedding presents. If I don't get them done before the retreat, that's what I'll bring to work on.