Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   NW Oregon and SW Washington~Beach retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/nw-oregon-sw-washington%7Ebeach-retreat-t112545.html)

Feathers 05-15-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
It's getting closer! I hope all are excited and thinking of the fun things we can work on! The sleeping arrangements will work out if we are all open to working together! Needless to say, we won't be in our comfort zone because we aren't home but that doesn't mean that we won't be able to relax and have a good time!

Thanks Laurie! I can help!:)

Hi Everyone: I'm anxious for our retreat. It'll be so fun. If anyone would be interested in making aa few Socks for Soldiers I'll bring the pattern. I think you can get 4 socks out of a yard of Christmas fabric. Our quilt group has been making Socks for Soldiers for the past 3 or 4 years. The socks are turned over to the Oregon point person who is in Salem. She collects the socks around the middle of Sept., they are filled with candy, cookies, gum, etc. and sent to Iraq/Afghanistan for our soldiers. It's a great project.

2 Doods 05-15-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Alice, if you're concerned about using a ladder for a bunkbed, we can get you a springboard. :mrgreen:

LOL- Maybe there is one of those mini trampolines there that would work. And maybe a Rope Swing to get out??
The last time I slept on the top bunk was sophomore year in college~too many years ago!

Feathers,
Great idea! I'll throw in some Christmas fabric and do a few stockings for you :thumbup:

cbridges22 05-15-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers

It's getting closer! I hope all are excited and thinking of the fun things we can work on! The sleeping arrangements will work out if we are all open to working together! Needless to say, we won't be in our comfort zone because we aren't home but that doesn't mean that we won't be able to relax and have a good time!

Hi Everyone: I'm anxious for our retreat. It'll be so fun. If anyone would be interested in making aa few Socks for Soldiers I'll bring the pattern. I think you can get 4 socks out of a yard of Christmas fabric. Our quilt group has been making Socks for Soldiers for the past 3 or 4 years. The socks are turned over to the Oregon point person who is in Salem. She collects the socks around the middle of Sept., they are filled with candy, cookies, gum, etc. and sent to Iraq/Afghanistan for our soldiers. It's a great project.

I will bring Christmas fabric also and do a few.I think I am going to look like a pack horse when I get there.

KarenBarnes 05-15-2011 07:37 AM

Here is the latest update! So Lilrain won't go blind! :)

Update on food that was volunteered:
Condiments and a pound cake and coffee (Cbridges), a turkey,gravy etc (Feathers) a chicken lasagna and Costco muffins (quilttiludrop), red wine (Winewoman), birthday cake for 2Doods & Feathers and snacking vegetables and fruit (Karen), veggie/dip tray and salad (2Doods), fruit, ice cream, Hershey's syrup and a variety of teas (SewCornie), dessert (mistiliz), Ham, Roastbeef and Turkey for lunch along with some lettuce, tomatoes,bread, etc (TrishB), baked beans Patty Jo, and potato salad, a sack of potatoes and a couple dozen eggs in case anyone wants that for breakfasts(Candlequilter). If I've missed something (or added ) something please let me know!

Feathers has a bingo game and a word game. Bring 3 fat quarters (purchased or cut it yourself).

Quiltingnonie is going to show us PP and will post a supply list.

The rental has a fitted sheet on the bed but only as a mattress cover. You will need bedding and towels.

I am going to call the owners tomorrow and get questions answered regarding beds on which floor, kitchen towels, etc.

Lilrain 05-15-2011 11:24 AM

I got a couple of friends to help and we made 44 stockings and also 44 of those folding tree napkins for the residents at the assisted living facility where my son works in maintenance. it was a fun project. he took his girlfriend's daughters and they personally delivered each one. it was a neat project and I will be glad to help for our servicemen. Can also bring Christmas fabrics. I haven't made anything for myself for forever. I so much like making to give to others.

Lilrain 05-15-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain

I got a couple of friends to help and we made 44 stockings and also 44 of those folding tree napkins for the residents at the assisted living facility where my son works in maintenance. it was a fun project. he took his girlfriend's daughters and they personally delivered each one. it was a neat project and I will be glad to help for our servicemen. Can also bring Christmas fabrics. I haven't made anything for myself for forever. I so much like making to give to others.

Another thought. Do they need stockings made from non Christmas fabrics for those who do not celebrate Christmas? I have lots that would work, if they do

Feathers 05-15-2011 05:22 PM

Lilrain:
In the past we have used Christmas fabric for the socks but if you have something else that would be suitable, go for it. I really appreciate everyone's willingness to make up a few socks. The soldiers will love them. If anyone wants to check out the project info you can google "Operation Santa USMC" and they have all the info, pictures of the socks and other pictures and info.

Feathers (Sandy)

Another thought. Do they need stockings made from non Christmas fabrics for those who do not celebrate Christmas? I have lots that would work, if they do

Lilrain 05-16-2011 09:53 AM

I have looked at the list of foods, and think maybe a big pot of soup would be good for one of our three nights. I can go to Cash and Carry and get some of their frozen soup, which is very good. it makes a pretty big pot and I can also bring the pot to make it in. Can also get crackers. Since they have waffle irons, is anyone interesed in waffles on one of the morning? I could bring some Bisquik and syrup. let me know on that one.

Feathers 05-16-2011 12:01 PM

I have looked at the list of foods, and think maybe a big pot of soup would be good for one of our three nights. I can go to Cash and Carry and get some of their frozen soup, which is very good. it makes a pretty big pot and I can also bring the pot to make it in. Can also get crackers. Since they have waffle irons, is anyone interesed in waffles on one of the morning? I could bring some Bisquik and syrup. let me know on that one.

Lilrain: Soup is one of my comfort foods. Love it. Also, I never met a waffle I didn't love! Thank you.

KarenBarnes 05-16-2011 12:14 PM

Sounds good to me! I'll add it to the list!