Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos >
  • Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos

• Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos

Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM

They don't get shirts with buttons. Their uniforms are very similar to scrubs. Only 1 pocket - on the top, none on the pants. I have heard that the other housing on the north end of the prison - the one that houses the trouble makers are going to get black & white striped scrubs. They are wont to wander to the south side of the prison, which isn't allowed, and cause trouble. This way they won't be able to get past the center of the facility where there is a giant intersection of 4 halls and 4 crash gates with a "tower" that controls the gates and inmate movement. Right now, they are dressed the same as the south side, so you can't tell which housing unit they are from. I believe they are going to put each housing unit in a separate color or pattern. Have to be careful with colors as there are gang colors - red for the bloods, blue for the crips, but those are street gangs and prison gangs aren't on the streets except for 2. Once an inmate is validated as a member of one of these gangs, he's shipped to the facility that segregates the members of that gang. The other gang members are segregated in a different facility. They are kept locked down 23 out of 24 hours a day. They are allowed 1 hour for Rec. and a short time in the showers.

There is a program that our facility has that's similar to scared straight. It's called Youth Awareness and they make them get into maroon scrubs (over their street clothes) before they take them to the back. They are spoken to sort of harshly because this is a program designed to show them what prison life is like. No nicey-nice for them. Usually at least 1 kid is in tears before they leave.
    Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

man, oh man...these are some awesome blocks and such clever ideas - all!
    I was dreading #10...not so much now! woo hoo!
    wish I had those fancy embroidery stitches. mine are too thin, but, oh well...I'll think of something for all those curls, or my blocks are gonna go nekkid! :lol:
    Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 AM
    Power Poster

Mousie...a thought that I had was to thread 2 strands through the needle. That might make your stitches thicker and would look good too! I did a thread not to long ago about quitling like this...it looks like Sashiko...maybe a solution for you??

Kathy..as a kid, I would have been in tears just driving up to the building...heck, I probably would now too!
    Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Mousie...a thought that I had was to thread 2 strands through the needle. That might make your stitches thicker and would look good too! I did a thread not to long ago about quitling like this...it looks like Sashiko...maybe a solution for you??

Kathy..as a kid, I would have been in tears just driving up to the building...heck, I probably would now too!
    hmmm...something to try...
    I did see last week in my manual, something about using two needles...who knew, lol...never needed them...but I think it makes two rows of a design...well, that could be interesting...I'm stretching like a rubber mousie toy...
    oh no...had a thought...to stretch me 'thin'...I might end up pretty tall, lol! (I like being little...I see and hear things unnoticed! ;-) )
    Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

I did a thread on this type of stitching...someone on the board sent me a pm and told me how to do it. You can click on my name and find it.
    Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

I did a thread on this type of stitching...someone on the board sent me a pm and told me how to do it. You can click on my name and find it.
    oh goodie :XD: thanks Patti!
    I tell you what...you may borrow, borrow, borrow ideas...don't we all, if we admit it...but you sure are generous with the ideas, too!
    and good ones at that! I might have to send you a frog* :thumbup: (or a chokkie bunny, lol)
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Patti, these kids have such an attitude - part of the reason they are "at risk" now. They way they are talked to is designed to bring them down a notch or 2, with a little humiliation thrown in for good meaasure. I watched one of the Wardens go down the line & bark something about each one having to do with their appearance. Mostly it was about their piercings & what a real inmate would do to the thingy they had stuck in it. Lots of blood was involved. :( The terrible thing about this program is that there is a weekly presentation & the kids are always different. I can't believe how many of this up & coming generation is deemed "at risk" for criminal behavior or incarceration.Really sad.
    Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM

all the blocks are so beautiful ,makes me want to get back to mine,but have 2 quiits to put the binding on first. Then I can, thank goodness I joined TJTG at first. I knew I would get behind but only 1 week so far. lol
    Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Jo, whatever your pace is just fine with all of us We all seem to be working at our own speed, regarldess of the schedule. I do better if I have a deadline. Others work better given free range. It doesn't matter - just as long as you're having FUN!!!
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM

I was really hoping to have my block done today so I could stay "on schedule." Needless to say I am not done! Let's just say I'm not enjoying the reverse applique so much. On a 12 inch block, it's a lot of stitching.

Soon, I hope I will be done! I hope I can catch up a little on the next one.