Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
does every one that makes quilts have one of these >

does every one that makes quilts have one of these

does every one that makes quilts have one of these

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM

i have something similar that i like that i bought at a quilt show about 10 yrs ago. I would probably consider it i was looking.

i'm not sure anything really holds the tension when handquilting on other kinds of frames other than the traditional big frames that you roll. I wish i had a warm space to set my full size frame up. But the basement is too cold to spend all that time in.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:15 AM

I have one of these and use it all the time. I also have the big wood frame one but find it just takes up to much room. All my quilts are hand stitched.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I have one and never us eit. It is for hand quilting. When I hand quilt I much prefer a hoop. The plastic ones with the little groove and prefferably the double one so it sits up on your lap. The plastic hoops also hold the tension but you want to push your hand in it and then thighten it because you do not want it all thight. It needs to look like the cat slept on it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=lap+n...=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=s&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=XCDtTMfvBpO2sAPg-NmABw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQzAMwAg&biw=1007&bih=671

I use it with the larger hoop to the top most of the time but you can do it either way.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BevD
Never seen one of these before, does it have the tubing all the way around the top to hold the quilt??
Looks like it would be quite useful for hand quilting, might be worth looking into..hmmm
There are four "open sided" pieces of tubing that you gently push onto the four sides of the frame to hold everything in place. With a really large piece...like a queen size quilt...I find that I can just lay the fabric on top of it and often I only need one or two sides secured in order to work. It's easy to get the fabric to hammock that way or you can make it tighter.

The dimensions are about 30 x 40...just narrow enough to go through most doorways without needing to take it apart. The height adjust from 29 to 37 inches...each leg (not just 2) are adjustable. (If you're familiar with adjustable canes or walkers...that's the kind of mechanism that is used).

I agree with some that this is something that one could make with PVC tubing IF you had the materials, the sawing type equipment and a way to sand everything so smoothly so there wouldn't be any rough edges. After I considered all those factors I decided that it was going to be cheaper and a lot easier to purchase it...BUT only WITH a coupon! ;-)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 AM

I have one that I use to put my large quilts ove when I am binding the quilt. It's great to keep quilt in right position and I can get up and down without having to move it. I haven't hand quilted on it yet, but will. Also I can take it apart and slide it under a bed when I'm not using it.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by lilbitahoneydust
yes im learning and really not sure if i need one of these ?
Oh, just another thought...I'm a newbie myself, only started in September but have definitely decided I like quilting! That being said...quilting can be a rather expensive hobby/lifestyle...when you take into account all fabric and especially all the possible gadgets, etc. that are out there. I personally have decided to purchase the equipment/gadgets, etc. only on a "as needed basis". (I'm not talking about the stash here...that's a whole other subject...ha!)

I'm thinking I'm going to really LOVE doing this for a long, long time...BUT if for some reason after I finish hand quilting my queen size quilt (and a few other things in between)...I think gee, this has been fun but I'm not sure I want to do this forever...I don't want to look around and see stuff never used because I thought it was a good idea at one time.

When it comes down to it...at least for the beginner...there's not a whole lot one needs to get started and fall in love with a wonderful art. Then as your skills improve and your projects get more challenging requiring special rulers, markers, machines, etc.... then I would suggest adding to your "stuff" as needed. By going slowly it also gives one the ability to use 40% (or more) coupons and/or finding great deals at garage sales, ebay, etc.

Happy quilting!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 AM

I have one and me and some of the ladies from the church have used it alot to handquilt on lap quilts for Nursing Home. I really like mine. Does not take up much room and can set and quilt and watch TV or visit while quilting. I get hot using lap quilt frame alot and have not had room to set up my big quilting frames but this is good size for lap quilts and baby quilts.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I do have a Qsnap frame. I used to hand quilt a bit. not these days though.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

It's a q-snap floor frame. I have one and also the extensions so I could fit a quees size quillt on it. However I like to sit on the couch with the quilt all around me and hand quilt it. I only used my q-sanp a few times. What I do like it you can snap off the top with the quilt still in it and get it out of the way if you need the space. I have to quilt a baby quilt I think I will set mine up after thanksgiving and quilt in in the frame.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 AM

It is a Q-Snap quilt frame for hand quilting. I have one also and use it for larger quilts . I also have the legs that will tilt it and those are sold separately, at least they were when I got mine. I've had mine for about 15 years or more and I bought it from Joanns. I don't remember what I paid for it or the tilt legs. it is easy to put together and take apart and it will store in the box. The box has a handle on it so it is easy to carry in you travel and such. Love mine, but the small frame I found at the Goodwill recently I use for smaller items such as lap quilts and table toppers. I have a table topper on it now and doing some hand quilting on it. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay