Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

Yes, love them, I also have seen the fabric and liked it.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    I just got back from my local JoAnn's, where I ordered more of this fabric. It should arrive in two weeks!!
    Excellent! :-D

I'm thinking of ordering more of this fabric too. I've got 60 blocks made that I cut at 4", but I'm thinking I want it longer.

Okay, what color border should I use? I have a mottled orange that I thought for a narrow inner border, but I'm stumped of what color to make the wider outer border.
    Also, I'm not sure how to quilt the body of it. Would an allover stipple be right?

I had a strip left over that was too narrow for my quilt, so I'm making a small wall hanging.

As soon as I figure out how to get pictures here, I will post some of what I've done so far.

Thanks in advance for any input....and BTW, I'm loving this fabric and OBW!
    ~Shirley

I love your fabric. It is going to be beautiful!

Geeez I'm way behind. I just got my test pcs cut yesterday. Didn't want to mess up this fabric so tried it with a less expensive fabric first. I'm going to have to get in gear to catch up with all of you.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boopey
    I'm thinking of ordering more of this fabric too. I've got 60 blocks made that I cut at 4", but I'm thinking I want it longer.

Okay, what color border should I use? I have a mottled orange that I thought for a narrow inner border, but I'm stumped of what color to make the wider outer border.
    Also, I'm not sure how to quilt the body of it. Would an allover stipple be right?

I had a strip left over that was too narrow for my quilt, so I'm making a small wall hanging.

As soon as I figure out how to get pictures here, I will post some of what I've done so far.

Thanks in advance for any input....and BTW, I'm loving this fabric and OBW!
    ~Shirley
    I like the idea of the narrow inner, for the outer I'd say pick your favourite colour from the fabric and go with that - I'm tending towards the turquoise myself, I think I've got some batik that is the right shade. :-D Re the quilting, I often just do a wide meander over the body of the quilt - they're so 'busy' I think this is fine. But I've also done a kind of hooked swirl freehand (on Orchidacious that I posted recently) and I've seen some feathered freehand as well which were also cool! Looking forward to seeing your pics! :-D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    Geeez I'm way behind. I just got my test pcs cut yesterday. Didn't want to mess up this fabric so tried it with a less expensive fabric first. I'm going to have to get in gear to catch up with all of you.
    I'm leaving mine to ferment - you're fine, this is a marathon, not a sprint. :-D

Blog Entries
    I went to Joanns for cording & noticed clerks moving all the wall fabric to big carts.Just as I passed them, noticed a bolt on top of a cart & here's what I bought.Talk about busy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I went to Joanns for cording & noticed clerks moving all the wall fabric to big carts.Just as I passed them, noticed a bolt on top of a cart & here's what I bought.Talk about busy!
    But it's so pretty :lol:

It does look so nice with the OBW, I'm happy you were able to find some.
    ~Shirley

I might like that fabric more if it didn't have the orange in it, LOL. I am totally oranged out from making an orange quilt for my DGS. But I still love OBWs and will follow you all in this great adventure.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I might like that fabric more if it didn't have the orange in it, LOL. I am totally oranged out from making an orange quilt for my DGS. But I still love OBWs and will follow you all in this great adventure.
    :lol: I saw you asking for what to do with your left over orange strips! :lol:

Great job Pat! Now start cutting and tame that busy fabric! :-D

Great post. Lots of lovely OBW's

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    :lol: I saw you asking for what to do with your left over orange strips! :lol:
    :-D
    Now wouldn't you all love some nice scrappy orange strips to use for borders around your lovely OBWs? LMBO

QM
    I am not an orange type person. I have made 3 (I think) orange quilts, although I often use orange in scrappies. I think the amount of orange in this fabric might have prevented me from buying it, if I'd seen it. The results, however, are spectacular.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I'm just quilting another OBW (Tipping the Scales) which is a dragon print and has lots of orange in it and I'm planning orange flames in the black outer border, so I'll probably be joining the 'oranged out' club myself soon! LMBO

Blog Entries
    Actually there's not a lot of orange...it's my camera being too close.I've never ever bought orange fabric & don't intend to LOL
    This fabric is more Mardi Gras & will go to 1st DD that speaks up.Not my colors at all....but should make a nice OBW.

Quote Originally Posted by QM
    I am not an orange type person. I have made 3 (I think) orange quilts, although I often use orange in scrappies. I think the amount of orange in this fabric might have prevented me from buying it, if I'd seen it. The results, however, are spectacular.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Also, with OBW, you can reduce or enhance the dominance of a colour by how you design the layout. If you group all the dominant orange blocks together (like I have, top left) they'll make more of an 'orange statement' than if you spread them about through the quilt. I'm partial to the turquoise-blue in the fabric so I've given that the starring role by putting it central and will probably enhance this further in my choice of border colour. :-D

Blog Entries
    Keep those tips coming... can use all I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Also, with OBW, you can reduce or enhance the dominance of a colour by how you design the layout. If you group all the dominant orange blocks together (like I have, top left) they'll make more of an 'orange statement' than if you spread them about through the quilt. I'm partial to the turquoise-blue in the fabric so I've given that the starring role by putting it central and will probably enhance this further in my choice of border colour. :-D

Blog Entries
    I'm enjoying every post on this thread. I'm up to my ears on my current project, or I'd be trying to find this fabric to join you all!

QM
    I am looking forward to seeing the quilts finished, but my own first OBW will be from a different fabric.

Blog Entries
    LOL....my 1st attempt at OBW lasted all of 5 blocks.The fabric just wasn't me & didn't want to waste more fabric.This fabric is also far from my personal taste, but I'm betting either DD or Grdau will claim it.

Quote Originally Posted by QM
    I am looking forward to seeing the quilts finished, but my own first OBW will be from a different fabric.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I'm enjoying every post on this thread. I'm up to my ears on my current project, or I'd be trying to find this fabric to join you all!
    Mental image of Joanne sinking in fabric! :lol: Not a bad way to go though! :-D

Pat, at least your trial fabric showed how it goes. So not a waste! I've pieced my blocks into rows to stop myself fiddling with the layout anymore but I've got a bargello WIP out to keep me busy while you all catch up so no rush! :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    I'm bad at "fiddlin" with blocks. Does this color look right next to that one, or better on another row? Maybe that's why I do mostly scrappy....or as DH says,"all my quilts look alike". :D :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I'm bad at "fiddlin" with blocks. Does this color look right next to that one, or better on another row? Maybe that's why I do mostly scrappy....or as DH says,"all my quilts look alike". :D :D
    Oh ohhh! You're going to have so much fun when you come to do your layout then! I swear I swap the blocks around so much that by the end they probably end up back where they started! Then DH comes in and says 'can I make a suggestion?' and I say 'NO!' :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's when I join the blocks into rows - can't fiddle anymore without unsewing! :-D

Blog Entries
    I thought the "fiddling" was one of the best parts of making the OBW...:lol: I could do that for days!

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast