Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I thought the "fiddling" was one of the best parts of making the OBW...:lol: I could do that for days!
    Ha! While Rome burns? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Well yes, of course.....I was busy!!

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if someone can tell me do you wash your fabric first when you do an OBW? I was going to but then I thought what if it didn't shrink evenly then I wouldn't be able to line it up right? Any help, comments, or explaination would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    I was wondering if someone can tell me do you wash your fabric first when you do an OBW? I was going to but then I thought what if it didn't shrink evenly then I wouldn't be able to line it up right? Any help, comments, or explaination would be greatly appreciated.

No don't wash it. You want the sizing in it to make it easier to work with. Makes it easier to stack, cut and sew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepamela

No don't wash it. You want the sizing in it to make it easier to work with. Makes it easier to stack, cut and sew.
    Thank you thats what I thought about after I washed the first 4 1/2 yards, but its ok because I just picked up the other bolt I special ordered from Joanns and it is 8 yards so I will still have plenty. Now I am just waiting on the book to come from Amazon.com, should be here by this weekend and then I can start cutting. I am so anxious, both to start and about making a mistake. I think I may practice on another piece of fabric that I have that I don't like nearly as well.

Which book did you choose? I went with the OBW cubed and think I should have started with a basic book first since I've never done one before

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    Which book did you choose? I went with the OBW cubed and think I should have started with a basic book first since I've never done one before
    I looked at the OBW cubed and thought that the instructions weren't very clear and the lady at the LQS said it was for someone who had done one before, so I just went with the first one in the series called One Block Wonder by maxine rosenthal. They have all three on Amazon.com but I only bought the first one. But I have trouble following directions some times anyway, so maybe it will be okay for you.

It is a little confusing and I have decided to order the first book also. I always seen to think I can do all the fancy stuff and skip the basic. This time I need to start with the basic.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    It is a little confusing and I have decided to order the first book also. I always seen to think I can do all the fancy stuff and skip the basic. This time I need to start with the basic.
    I've sent you a PM but just wanted to say here as well for others that there are basic instructions in the back (p75 onwards) of the Cubed book on how to layer, cut and piece. There aren't as many design tips and details but I've had a quick read and it's basically a condensed version from book one. I would say that you'll be fine with it unless you specifically wanted a second book at this stage. :-D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I looked at the OBW cubed and thought that the instructions weren't very clear and the lady at the LQS said it was for someone who had done one before, so I just went with the first one in the series called One Block Wonder by maxine rosenthal. They have all three on Amazon.com but I only bought the first one. But I have trouble following directions some times anyway, so maybe it will be okay for you.
    She was right really as it's third in a series. I would say that it will make more sense to you once you've got the fabric in front of you. I remember when I made my first, I read the book right through first then worked with it open along side me, like an instruction manual. :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    She was right really as it's third in a series. I would say that it will make more sense to you once you've got the fabric in front of you. I remember when I made my first, I read the book right through first then worked with it open along side me, like an instruction manual. :-D
    That is what I have to do with the book also and then I am always second guessing myself and confusing myself, so I just go slow and make sure I have absolutely no distractions the first time through.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I don't have a clue how you make this block, but wow, it is stunning. Maybe I will look for a book on how to do it. Very, very impressive.

Fabulous as always k3n, looking forward to seeing everyone elses :-D

That is beautiful material and I am really looking forward to the finish product.

I would love to join you but I cant find the fabric...bummer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    I would love to join you but I cant find the fabric...bummer!
    daisey on page 8 I posted a download with the information from the bolt, if you print it out and take it into joanns they can order it for you. I believe that it is still on sale even.

Thanks

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh goody another victim! Welcome Daisey! Have you been to JoAnn's yet? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    That is what I have to do with the book also and then I am always second guessing myself and confusing myself, so I just go slow and make sure I have absolutely no distractions the first time through.
    Yes, I agee with all of the above. Just make sure you don't have any distractions while cutting and pinning your fabric to match it up. Then once it's secured with pins, you cut into strips and then triangles. After that it's play time! You get to decide which way your triangles will be sewn together - each stack has 3 ways of turning them to make a hexagon. I usually lay them on the table with the decided upon orientation = the horizontal side as the bottom. Then I'll lay stack on stack and slightly offset a bit to keep them separate, just make a long row. Then they are ready and easily accessable to grab and sew together two pairs of triangles. I chain piece each pair together w/ the next pair, etc. It's easy enough to find the correct pieces to add to these pairs once they are all sewn, cut apart, pressed. Then add the last triangle, sew, cut apart and press. Then pin half hex's together and pile like colors together in a pile. Then the real fun begins! Arranging your hex's on your design wall or the floor or wherever you do it. It goes fast, once you get in a rhythm.

Noy yet but I am going today...it will be fun to be doing it with you all, although I work full time so I may be alot slower...I started a whack and stack a few years ago havent finished it yet but really liked it,,,I had just got the one block wonder book from amazon a few days ago and have been reading it,,,then I saw this post! I am so easily influenced by you all!

Ok I went to Joannes and ordered my fabric...I got lucky it wasnt on sale so I used my 50 percent off coupon and got the whole bolt for 29.00 which included the tax! These are my colors...jewel tones so I am very happy you all told me how ro order it! I may work on my unfinished whack and stack while I am waiting...I forgot to ask how long it takes...uh oh

I havent got to the part in the book about how you sew the blocks together when they are all sewn into the hexagon blocks. it looks confusing since I have never done hexagons and stuff..I guess I will learn...I like a beautiful challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by nena
    gaigai, Ok this will probably be a ufo for awhile.. lol
    I will stop for now and wait until I get back and know what I am doing. At least I get the general idea.
    By the time I am back home everyone will have theirs finished. Good luck... can't wait to see how everyones turn out.
    Nena, the pictures do not look wonky...

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I'm enjoying every post on this thread. I'm up to my ears on my current project, or I'd be trying to find this fabric to join you all!
    Me, too, Joanne

Daisey,
    You asked how long they take to do. I cut & stacked and aligned my fabric, cut strips and 3 rows of triangles and pieced half haxagons in 3 1/2 hours for a quilt top that ended up being about 40" X 50". Now that's not including arranging them to get the final placement. But this method does go way faster than any other piecing method I've done.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast