Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Half the blocks are done >

Half the blocks are done

Half the blocks are done

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

I was the same way when I started out and I threw out a lot of really bad work. My best advice is to get good tools like a 12 1/2" square ruler, a 24" x 6" one, a good cutting mat and rotary cutter. Get some sandpaper dots to put on your ruler so it doesn't slide. I got some clear plastic sheets that you stick onto the back of rulers but not sure how well that does. Be VERY accurate when cutting, that is so important.

Be absolutely sure that you are sewing a 1/4" seam. Get a 1/4" foot if you don't have one or if your machine can move the needle to 1/4" that is even better. Go slow. Don't have to do a pedal to the metal speed. I don't go the fastest it can go and sometimes I even set my speed to the lowest setting (usually use the middle setting).

Depending on the block pattern I can tell if it's possible to cut my pieces a little larger than needed and then square up after sewing. I don't cut the squares for HSTs exactly at what it calls for but make it a little larger, 1/4" or 1/2" even, then square them up with a ruler and rotary cutter.

Use spray starch. It's amazing how much of a difference that makes. It's like sewing with un-washed fabric, but even better. The fabric isn't all soft and floppy.

Press intersecting seams in opposite directions and nest the seams together when joining pieces. Even if you have some difference in where they line up, put them together and pin. After you sew them together and they're locked like that, when you press them they will ease in together. Another little spritz of starch will solve any stubborn ones. I always press every seam.

That's about all the advice I can give. It just takes attention to detail and care at each step. I know that it's not always an easy thing to do, can be incredibly tedious, but when you've mastered that it really frees you because you're not fussing with every little thing.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanx, I'll keep on keeping on and be more accurate in my seam allowances. :?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 AM

going to be beautiful, is this pattern available somewhere
Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 AM

That is a gorgeous quilt
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM

I really like your quilt. I know what you mean about the layout. I have my nine year old gd help me lay out most of quilts and I cannot stand to have any of the same color squares in line with each or touching corner. When you layout the first 2 or 3 rows it is pretty easy, but the further you go it gets harder and harder. Then you wind up moving every square again at least 3 times
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I am going to try an applique technique I watched on the Sharon Schamber network. She uses a double freezer paper template, paints starch on the seam allowance, then folds the fabric around the shapbe and irons it. She then glues the piece in place, irons to set, and does a monofilament zig-zag on the edge. I ordered some plastic template material that you can iron on because I am doing so many of the same shape.
I've used a method similar to this for applique, except I didn't use double freezer paper. Just one sheet on the wrong side of the fabric, glue and press the seam allowance under and sew to the background using the monofilament and a blind hem stitch. I have yet to conquer the monofilament. I've played with my tension until I'm blue in the face but it still gets hung up in my bobbin area here and there (I'm using Bottom Line in my bobbin). It'll go perfect for a hundred stitches, then I can hear it get snarled up but it will fix itself and continue sewing. It just leaves a nasty nest on the back of the fabric. If you master it please share with me how!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Pam,
What is the pattern called? Awesome quilt. :XD:
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 AM

I will have to find that magazine somewhere. Thanks Again an awsome quilt and quilter :mrgreen:
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM

I envy all you ladies that do them half squares and they come out perfect
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I am going to try an applique technique I watched on the Sharon Schamber network. She uses a double freezer paper template, paints starch on the seam allowance, then folds the fabric around the shape and irons it. She then glues the piece in place, irons to set, and does a monofilament zig-zag on the edge. I ordered some plastic template material that you can iron on because I am doing so many of the same shape.
Using freezer paper and liquid starch around the edges is my preferred way of doing applique. I spray the starch into a little container (like one that comes on cold medicine), then dip a Q-tip into it, then wet the edge of the fabric that's outside the freezer paper with the liquified starch, then press the wet edges over the freezer paper and remove the freezer paper. It works great!