Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help me with my 10 minute block >

Help me with my 10 minute block

Help me with my 10 minute block

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM

very new to quilting but I Love it with the extra window, just my 2 cents whatever it's worth. Love the colors!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203262.gif  
Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 PM

I like your cathedral windows in this setting looks great, but I have a question. If you haven't sewn any of the sets of four together yet have you tried using all four colors for the one big block yet. I noticed you are using two creams in one and two yellows in the other. Try using one of each color in each set and see what you think. Love the purple background. I know your grandaughter will love the quilt when it is done.You might also use the one in the middle perhaps in the very center of the quilt with her name and date of graduation on it of as the label itself--or put in the extra windows and pics of her throughtout her life , from infancy to graduation, with a graduation pic. in the very center or special info. in those blocks. This would be a great memory quilt like this, especially since you have lots of time to do it. Just a thought. I personally like the extra window. Have you thought of using a bright blue if you have the fab. there, if you decide not to put any info or pic. there.Be sure to post pic.
I am currently working on a 10 minute block only using larger blocks for a graduation quilt for a young lady at our Church. Plan to give it to her on Sunday.I am putting together the back rows tonight. I have spent 3 days on it so far, I thought I would be through with it tonight, but other things got in the way, so I will finish it tomorrow. Gerbie
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by rebeccalr
Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
Originally Posted by rebeccalr
Is this a 10-minute block or a cathedral window? From my understanding, they are totally different blocks, but I am fairly new to quilting. Just want to be sure I understand which is which.

BTW, I actually like the extra one.
This is called a 10 minute block but the woman who developed the technique says "you can roll the edges like a cathedral window which is my choice".
I think the block looks great either way, love your fabric colors.
Thanks for clearing that up! I was thinking about doing a cathedral window, so this technique may give me the look I like without having so many layers.
:)
If you google 10 minute block you should see several things on the 10 minute block on you tube, using varying techniques.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I like this better without the extra also.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
I think I also like it without the extra window. It is going to be a lovely quilt. May I ask what size squares you started with? I like how you inserted the colors using the white border. Good thinking on your part!!!
The purple blocks were 4 3/4 square and the white block was 8 square, with the insert block being 4 3/4 square. I know those seem like odd sizes, but I wanted a finished block about 9 square. I put 7 across and 9 down, getting a finished top about 60x80, and not sure if I need to do any border on it. I will have to think about that for awhile.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Originally Posted by jw3280
how did you get the cream around the 'windows'?
I was wondering that too. Did you just put an extra piece of fabric behind the edge when you curled it over to make the cathedral window. I have the 10 minute block book and it doesn't show any with the different colored edge.
It is called a faux cathedral window. I used 4 purple blocks for the base, a cream for the center, and then had another color and used that on top of the cream, and rolled the cream over to make the 'faux cathedral window' Look on youtube and you should find some tuts. Clear as mud?

:?:
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM

I like it with the extra window, beautiful colors!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:43 PM

I like it better without. I am making my great granddaughter a critter 10 min. quilt.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 PM

I think it is hard to tell which would look better when you have just tried one extra block. If you tried with four around one of the coloured areas you could see how it would look with that "circle" effect highlighting each of the coloured insets.

I think it will be gorgeous either way.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM

I like both, I am just not sure of these colors for the extra window.............But I bet it would be cool with some fabric.......