Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help please....

I have friends expecting a little girl and I decided to make a pink quilt. However now that the top is all pieced the BF is seeing something I had not intended. What do you see when looking at this? Any way I can save it from the trash? :( :?: :cry:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I see a well made quilt. And I'm curious about what we're supposed to see....

I see it. If you don't mind doing a little seam ripping, I'd take out the sashing. That should take them out. Sorry. You did a beautiful job on it though.

Thanks. I just got off the phone with my mom, an avid quilter. She also showed the pic to my uncle and cousin (who didn't see anything but pinwheels). Her idea is for me to use a dark pink thread and quilt around the center squares in a diamond shape connecting at the white strips' points on each outer side. Then I could add a heart or another diamond on the center square if I needed something else to help. She told me I'm very sensitive to it now since it's become an optical illusion and that's all I am seeing. But the dark pink thread would help to break up the white.

It is beautiful and a well made quilt.

Blog Entries
    Okay, now I understand the issue--and I think your mom has a perfect idea. I have to say, I never would have figured that out without the hint about the sashing.

I bet it'll be just perfect when your'e done. The quilting will get the focus right where it should be.

You did a beautiful job, it is an optical illusion...but yeah i see them too. I think your mom is on the right track

Me too, wow, i have sat her for almost half an hour trying to see it, and i think i finally get it. It is such a beautiful quilt, your moms idea will work good.

Now that it has been pointed out to me, I see it. And your Mom's idea is a good one.

Thanks guys. It helps to get more feedback. I originally changed the pattern from quilter's cache because they had one of the long strips a dark color that matched the inner square and it really was an obvious thing. Adding an extra color helped but putting the white sashing in negated that. So tomorrow I will buy some dark pink thread and see where I get. My dryer is currently broken so I'm not even sure I'll get the onsies embroidered before the party. And I still need to make the card. Oh goodness so much to do yet. But thanks guys. I appreciate the quick feedback.

It's a beautiful quilt! I like your Mom's quilting idea with the dark pink thread too, that will add that extra 'something' to it!

I also sent you a PM with a link to some more info

It's a really pretty quilt and it took me a minute to figure out what you were saying.
    Yes, your mom has a great idea.

What if you added some applique hearts or flowers to the white strip that is within the block. That may take the eye from the pattern you are seeing.

What am I missing? I only see a beautiful quilt. Still a newbie here I guess.

Umm ... at the risk of sounding stupid, would someone explain the problem to me? For my own information and future reference, I guess. 'Cause I don't understand what the problem is.
    Thanks!

I didn't "get" the swastika symbol until I really stared at it. I don't think it looks much like a swastika! It's a beautiful quilt! :D :D You know, the swastika is an ancient symbol and only recently associated with bad people.

I found this: The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit svastik, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck.

So, what I would say is "what a lucky baby to have such a gorgeous quilt!"

Blog Entries
    You did such a great job on the quilt to have to focus on "the problem". I think that your Mom has a wonderful solution and the quilt will turn out to be beautiful. And to top it off, just think of the funny story you can tell your friend about...in a few years... :lol:

Thanks guys. I'm going to buy some dark pink thread after work and see what I can do with it. My uncle did have that idea to add pink to the white in the squares--a decorative stitch or something. But he's also the one that says it's silly to cut a big piece of fabric into little pieces just to put it back together again. :roll: He told me a green magic marker and some Christmas trees would completely cover anything I didn't like. Not quite the advice I was looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    I didn't "get" the swastika symbol until I really stared at it. I don't think it looks much like a swastika! It's a beautiful quilt! :D :D You know, the swastika is an ancient symbol and only recently associated with bad people.

I found this: The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit svastik, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck.

So, what I would say is "what a lucky baby to have such a gorgeous quilt!"
    I agree with you Chele... its a shame that such a symbol in recent times had to turn into something bad, when it was originally meant as a good luck symbol.

I did take a few minutes myself to see what the problem with the quilt was until I looked harder... and feel sad that society has made this "good Luck" symbol into a terrible reminder of evil.

Ady... the quilt is just beautiful and your Mum has a great idea. If that is what with make you the most comfortable, then do what you should do. The quilt is absolutely beautiful and that is one very lucky little baby!

Cheers

ok, me too! Beautiful quilt, but what is wrong with it???

Thanks!

I think she is worried that the blocks look kind of like the nazi sign.

ok, now I get it! I didn't even notice! It still is a beautiful quilt!!

Thanks for the reply!
    Renae :D

That happened to me once with a traditional block, turned out it was pre-civil war and had absolutely nothing to do with the Nazis. Still, it was a bit disheartening, so I understand completely where you are coming from. Then too, it's a beautiful quilt, so be proud of it.

I didn't notice until it was pointed out. I think since we are quilters, we see blocks and not symbols.... Nice job! I love it just the way it is.

I don't see it either. somebod PLEASE explain
    Judy in Ohio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast