Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I need help!!!! >

I need help!!!!

I need help!!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:22 PM

I certainly will. I'm working on it today!! Lots to be done to make it come out just right!. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I needed it. I was beginning to think I had bit off more than I could chew.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 PM

I guess I'm the odd woman out... I want to see faces. I would go with different colors, but I think I want to see eyes, nose and a mouth. A little shading in the cheek bones. If it's not in your repertoire, then I would take the entire set of that applique, (maybe after you stitch some detail into the pants and jacket or you take it just the way it is with the picture) to someone artistic and ask them to insert the details into the faces, jackets, shading on the pants etc. Why stop at almost. Get some help and make it as close to your vision as possible even if you need a little help. But, that's just my humble opinion.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Nice idea.

The only suggestion I have for the faces - maybe use different shades of skin colors to suggest all the nationalities/races that serve in our armed forces.

Leesa, I totally agree. This would make the tribute complete for all races serving in the branches. Love your idea is it for someone special???
Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I hope I can accomplish what I envision for it. And I'm still trying to find the perfect flowers and fern leaves for the wreath. I've got ferns in a light shade but none the color they should be. I may have to get some green fabric paint and do a little shadeing. so far, this has been a fun project, even though a little stressful. Thanks for the comments. So far, looks like the faces may be blank. But I might swap for a blender if I can find the right shade.
If you have trouble finding the right shades Nancy's online site has doll making flesh colored fabrics so I'm sure there are other sites that carry it too. You're so creative I know you'll find all the right elements to put your special touch on this for you DB. You always see the projects through that are special to you. You go girl!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would take fabric paint and shade the red stripes so that the casket flag has more definition and shape, so that you can see where the bend is in the drape and where is falls to hang down. I would leave the faces blank but I would shade the necks so that the necks and faces are not the same shade of color. What are you going to use for the uniform buttons? I think this has the potential of being a quilt show winner!
Actually I found some very small gold buttons that have what looks like an anchor on them that I think are going to be beautiful!! When my DH saw them, he said, "What did you buy those for?" I just said, You'll see. Then when I laid my quilt out in the floor, He said," Oh!! I see now! So, I think they will work just fine. Now I just need to find some small sargeants stripes to go on the uniform sleeves. I may have to drag out the embrodiery!!

I'd check the doll making costume sites for these unless you have a doll shop near by. Embroidery would also work well if your good at minature detail. I think my ole' fingers would bock.LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Definately blank, and the different colors for skin is a wonderful idea. Good luck and please keep us posted!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM
pac

I think I would leave them blank also
Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM

I agree with all who have said:

Originally Posted by grandme26
Leave the faces blank and please, complete the quilt.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM
pac

If you do paint the faces I think they would hvae to almost have a blank look any way so why not leace them blank That would be so hard to get any type of expression on them What do you think
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM

I agree with everyone else, blank is the way to go. I really like this quilt.