Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm learning >

I'm learning

I'm learning

Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LoisN
Guess I'll get them storebought gifts from now on.
Why would you even bother? Bad manners shouldn't be rewarded - whether or not the gift was handmade.
If you had spent the $200 on store bought items, would you be any less pissed off that there was no acknowledgment?
I wouldn't.

I'd check online that it was delivered (and if it was insured, you should be able to see a signature depending on the service you used).
Then I'd give it another week to wait for a lovely hand written thank-you note (or email) for your lovely gifts.

That should give you your answer for the next time a gift is expected. ;-)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM

I used to give gifts to all my nieces and nephews and their children also, but would never hear from them. I finally stopped sending anything to any of them. It's very freeing.

Your qults are very lovely and I'm sure that they love them at least they should.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by tms
A gift is just that... a gift. It should be freely given, with no strings attached, or you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The value of the gift, and handmade, or not, should not matter. You either want to give a gift and expect nothing in return, or you are expecting "payment" for the present even if it is as small as acknowledgement. Then when you are not acknowledged, thanked, praised or offered money, your feelings are hurt. I understand this. I have been there. However, the fault is mine and/or yours, for expecting "payment". You either want to give something and truely expect nothing in return, thus a "gift" or you should make your expectations clear and express your hurt feelings, or forgive and forget it. You are only hurting you by being upset about it or looking for "reward or payment" in round-about ways.
Sorry for writing a book. Hope this helps everyone. God bless us all!!!
Lots of love, Teresa
This is so true! Thanks Teresa for the reminder to us all. Are we looking for the "praises" of people, when it should be about the gift and not the giver! The Lord sets us that example so well, too bad we dont always follow that!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM
MTS
Banned

eta:
Someone contributed this to the quote thread yesterday (and I'm paraphrasing because I"m too lazy to go look for it).

No one can walk all over you unless you lie down
or something to that effect.

OK, went to look for it and see it was deleted. :roll:

Anyway, give it a week or two for them to respond.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by tms
A gift is just that... a gift. It should be freely given, with no strings attached, or you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The value of the gift, and handmade, or not, should not matter. You either want to give a gift and expect nothing in return, or you are expecting "payment" for the present even if it is as small as acknowledgement. Then when you are not acknowledged, thanked, praised or offered money, your feelings are hurt. I understand this. I have been there. However, the fault is mine and/or yours, for expecting "payment". You either want to give something and truely expect nothing in return, thus a "gift" or you should make your expectations clear and express your hurt feelings, or forgive and forget it. You are only hurting you by being upset about it or looking for "reward or payment" in round-about ways.
Sorry for writing a book. Hope this helps everyone. God bless us all!!!
Lots of love, Teresa
Teresa,
Thanks for your honesty. You are precisely right and I need to let go of the gift. Sometimes I just need the grounding of this group to carry on. Thanks again.
Lois
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

They are beautiful. Maybe they just haven't had time to call.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

wow they are all beautiful projects....some people just dont appreciate handmade stuff...and i def feel that in todays fast paced society with technology a good old thank you note is a thing of the past....we live in a want it now/ send it now world. I think you should still give your beautiful gifts and know that even though they didnt say thank you that you have graced their lives with a gift that cant be store bought....its the gift of love stitched in all your projects

every year my children get a gift for christmas and then they are usually told by the gift giver how much it cost....i dont agree with this as i have always taught the children that a gift is still a gift no matter the cost....its the thought that counts not the price tag.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM

I agree a gift is a gift, but we are human beings and we come with feelings! I feel bad, But I love them all!!!!! :mrgreen:
Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

well give it a little more time you know how young kids are im sure you will hear from them they are pretty quilts love the ornaments
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Such beautiful gifts, I would have been thrilled to receive them. I think I would call to make sure they got it, postage is expensive too, then not bother them with gifts anymore.