Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm needing a hug >

I'm needing a hug

I'm needing a hug

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Several days ago I was waiting for my husband in a doctor's office, hand binding a quilt I had quilted on my quilting machine. This older man came in, sat down across the waiting room from me and kept watching what I was doing. After several minutes of looking at my quilt, he asked how long it had taken me to quilt it. This was a large full size which I had quilted double feathered wreaths on, so it took about 15 hours of quilting time. He grunted and made a comment about he bet the fabric was even new. Then he went into a loud and lenghty speach about how women these days don't know how to make a quilt. How they (quilts) should be made from scraps of clothing. Should never be made from new material. Should all be done by hand, etc. on and on. I really felt small. I finally folded my quilt and went to my car to wait on my husband.
(((Hug,Hug)))
You should be very proud of that quilt it is just lovely. Who cares what someone like that man says, he probably has never seen anyone quilt before. So what if it is made of new fabrics, it will last a lot longer, because it isn't from used fabric, that has been washed over and over.I would not have left the room, but I admire you for not making a remark about his ranting. I probably would have said something, no, I would have. But then that's me. BE proud of your beautiful quilt and try to ignore people like that. Too often they are really ignorant about the subject matter and just have to make ugly coments.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Beautiful quilt. You need to learn to stand up for yourself, I wonder how many quilts that man had made? You have done a wonderful job and beautiful time consuming work. It is work you should be proud of. Be thankful that we have the opportunity now to be able to pick out our own material for our quilts and are able to have bright beautiful colors. Be thankful that we have made the progress out of the dark ages and have wonderful machines that are capable of so many stitches and so many designs. And that you are smart enough to have mastered those machines and turn out such exquisite work. Be proud of yourself and your talent and never let anyone drive you from a room! Shame on that old man ... let's just hope he wasn't feeling well and was not that mean and bitter all the time.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 PM

obviously he knew someone that quilted and I would guess he probly was missing them when he belted out his meaness at you. He had no right to do so, I sure feel bad that he made you feel bad. I'm sortof a mouthy girl I would of asked him if you could see any of his quilts. I think your quilt is wonderful and I wouldn't let his meaness dull it's beauty.
Cindy
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Your quilt is beautiful! You are blessed to live in a time when there is so much more available to quilters - fabric as well as machinery and technology.
The man obviously grew up in a time when people used what they had, and recycled or repurposed things because they had to. I imagine that some of his memories of that time are special to him, maybe in a bittersweet sort of way, and he doesn't realize that his comments might be hurtful. He may just be someone who doesn't have much tact and thought he was just telling about the way things were when he was young.

Your methods and finished products are just as special to you as what he thought was the proper way to make a quilt. You have spent hours sewing and quilting and binding to make something beautiful and useful. Some of us only tie quilts or stitch-in-the-ditch, and to us, your quilt is so much more intricate than we could hope for.

Don't worry about the man's comments. I suppose you could compare him to someone who says the only right way to listen to music is on a gramophone.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 PM

Obviously that man had some issues outside of your quilt. How sad that he had to take his frustrations out on you. Don't let him ruin your day.

Your quilt is simply stunning! Love, love, love it!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM

I would have just said BAH HUMBUG! How rude! That is one gorgeous quilt and you should be very, very proud! HUGS!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM

I suppose he could show you the stone tablets on which his "shoulds" have been handed down from above? I would have asked to see them if I had witnessed that scene. The quilt is beautiful. Usually people who like to bring others down are suffering from low self-esteem. He's probably never made anything worthwhile in his life and knows it.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM

I think I would have asked him how many quilts he had made since he was such an expert! Your quilt is gorgeous! Don't pay attention to grumpy old men.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM

I know that hurt your feelings, and I'm sending a hug to you. I will say, however, after dealing with my elderly father and the things he sometimes says, I hope you won't let that stop you from doing what you do. My dad sometimes says hurtful things and doesn't realize it hurts. The man just comes from a whole different generation!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 PM

You gonna let some old goat get you down when you can make something so beautiful??? C'mon!