Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World" >

IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World"

IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World"

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM

I ran into a problem with Joanne's center tonight. I spent about 5 hours on it...and when it was done, realized that it is crooked. I was in a group sewing class and we measured it...the center is almost an inch wider on the bottom than the top. So the first border that was added on, it hardly shows, but on the border I have added, it's really getting obvious. I'm too tired to post a photo tonight, but we have to do something or this quilt is going to be a problem by the time the next two rounds go on. perhaps once I post photos we can put our collective heads together on how to fix it! I suppose there must a solution, I'm just not experienced enough to do it!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Esq...these things do happen, no worries, we'll figure it out....can you post a pic of it with your addition? I looked back and the original is on page 6 and then Gai's addition is on page 12....if you'll post a pic, I will call JoeAnne and ask the master what to do... and its an inch off???
Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 AM

At this point it's over an inch off. I will do new measurements and post them. I'm just so sick about it. I spent hours on it, and when I cut the top and bottom additions, I cut the top short, because I didn't realize that it was so different than the bottom. And now I only have enough fabric to make one more change on the top or bottom. I suppose I could go back and get more if need be, but time is also running short!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Esq, I'm on the phone with JoeAnn, and here are her exact words:

"Gosh, I'm so sorry that happened. I measured so carefully but I probably pressed it out of shape (and I know better). But stop worrying and obsessing, just take your ruler and rotary cutter and square it up. I'm not the least concerned whether it is square or not, I will love it regardless. Only God makes perfect quilts, the rest of us rely on our rotary cutters!! Quilting is supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun, stop!! Rachael, it isn't a court case, it's a quilt. Relax!"

Ok, now it's Gai again: Looking at the center, if you take a tiny pleat from the center point between the pink and the thin green border on each side, from the center out, that should even it up enough. If you need to, trim up mine the same way. But stop worrying.

JoeAnn said that she doesn't care if it ends up square or not, she is just sorry it isn't and that it gave you a second of worry. She already loves it!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Here's the border...I think I may just take the bottom piece and redo it...make it longer. I don't know how else to fix it. I am not comfortable sewing anywhere else on it. Suggestions anyone?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46072.jpe   attachment-63486.jpe   attachment-63487.jpe  
Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Sorry, the top two pictures are sideways. So, if I redo the bottom and add an inch or so to it, perhaps it won't pull in the bottom so much?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Sorry, the top two pictures are sideways. So, if I redo the bottom and add an inch or so to it, perhaps it won't pull in the bottom so much?
Esq, where it bows out, trim MY border from the center SQIS out to make it square. Or, since your border is already sewn on, resew that seam on either side of the SQIS to take a bigger bite out of mine. That will pull it back square without your having to rip out and redo. I sent you a pm.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

No worries guys...The top issue is solved for now and the day is saved...so we continue on with our fun!

Rachael, what you added to the center is so simple and perfect for the center...leaving great quilting areas....great job!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm leaving, so I'll add it quick. I redid the bottom and it's a little better.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64825.jpe  
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
I'm leaving, so I'll add it quick. I redid the bottom and it's a little better.
Looks good to me.