Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mad Murder Spree - Killing Sunbonnet Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I remember at my grandmother's house she had a pantry in a short hall way from dining room to kitchen. She had a curtain for a door to the pantry. It was dark in there and when we kids were acting up she would say I'm going to let the pantry troll grab you if you don't straighten up. We were all scared of the pantry troll and wouldn't go pass that curtain for anything. Even as we got older we were cautious about passing through there without thinking of the troll that was hiding and waiting to get us. LOL. That is what makes memories with every detail clear as a bell. All my sibling and cousins remember the pantry troll and knew to behave immediately. We didn't mess with Grandma. We all thought she was brave to have a troll in her pantry.
    We had such a creature (the hippelkratz) in the basement in the furnace room. It only came out during Christmas. (YES, I HATE CHRISTMAS TOO) In reality, it was my grandpa scraping at the heater vent but when you are little and you have an imagination........
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    We had such a creature (the hippelkratz) in the basement in the furnace room. It only came out during Christmas. (YES, I HATE CHRISTMAS TOO) In reality, it was my grandpa scraping at the heater vent but when you are little and you have an imagination........
    my son used to freak out about the basement. One day I got him down there - he was trembling something awful. He pointed to the furnace and with wild fear filled eyes said 'meter man, meter man...' He was 2 or 3. One day a month the gas meter reader would go door to door and yell 'meter man' I hope he is over it by now it's been at least 35 years.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    Good for a smile and a chuckle! I'd love to be a fly on a wall in about 100 years when someone pulls this quilt out to look at it! ROFL
    Can you imagine? Imagine if it shows up in a quilt show as an antique quilt? Would love to be there when that happens!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Oh, so you are helping by giving me more ideas? lol

I actually have some more ideas. The shower scene in Psycho came to mind this morning. And then I want to put her in a rough play scene with Raggedy Ann, Raggedy Andy, Strawberry Shortcake and the Sock Monkey where they have SBS by the limbs and are tearing her apart. I have no idea where these thoughts are coming from. I'm really not a violent person. hehe
    You go girl!
    Luv Quilts and Cats

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I love these blocks I hate the ones which are so .....pretty.
    How about on the rack to stretch her or hung drawn. And quarter her as the nobles in England had done to them. They only died on the quartering after so long.
    The horrible histories are full of these stories which children love .keep going.
    Ooooh! She could be drawn and "fat quartered". And how about Sue walking the plank? Or keel-hauled to keep to a maritime theme. Sorry, getting carried away here....
    Luv Quilts and Cats

Blog Entries
    I so agree...I have been getting a good chuckle from this thread...my hubby had to come over to find out why I have been laughing so hard....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Now I don't know which is funnier...Martina's blocks or the responders to this thread!
    (One does have to wonder why some of them are still reading this topic which is "so offensive.")
    Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats View Post
    Sorry, getting carried away here....
    OH NO! I AM a bad influence. lol I know - the possibilities are really endless.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    Keeping with the popular ways to die lately, Attacked by Zombies, drained by a vampire Overall Sam, mauled by a werewolf.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    This is Sunbonnet Sue. She always hides her face. That is just the way the pattern is.
    And that, I must add is the creepiest part of her in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Mad...I absolutely LOVE each and every one of these!!!!!

In my humble opinion, comparing any quilter to a murderess is outrageous! I feel that if someone sees "murder spree" in the title of a page and even remotely feel that they may be offended they should not click on that subject.

For instance...if someone really dislikes batiks, that is no reason to put in print that someone feels that someone elses work is the worst that they have ever seen. To each his own and I'm LOVING yours Mad!!!! Please keep up with this and I for one can't wait to see the finished project!!!!

By the way...what a great conversation piece for your room!!!!
    On the lips and in the eyes of children.... Partial line from the movie "the crow" with Brandon Lee.

I am so enjoying this thread....Now MsMadQuilter...never mind the Sock-Monkey or Hello Kitty....what about that demure Crinoline Lady......surely she deserves a place in your "Gallery Macabre"

very imaginitive

Blog Entries
    MadQuilter I just love your blocks. As for Sitting Pretty, Chislett, sewbizgirl, josie boss, piecNpat, Gee Gee, plezzzzzzzzz . I know some members of our church who think they are better than others. Hypocrates I call them. And Country1 look at the picture posted near your name. My greatgrand child would have nightmares if I showed it to her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    what about that demure Crinoline Lady
    I'm afraid I have not met her.

Quote Originally Posted by memereof8 View Post
    MadQuilter I just love your blocks. As for .....
    I appreciate your insight. Still, I really don't want this thread to get closed because we resorted to namecalling and personal attacks. Let's just enjoy the cameraderie and leave the nay-sayers to say nay. I have no problem with them voicing their opionion and as you could see in previous answers, I gladly talk turkey with anyone who crosses the line.
    Last edited by MadQuilter; 03-06-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    Martina

np3
    Blog Entries
    Mad, I love them all. The embellishments you are adding really add to the overall look. I can hardly wait to see it finished. We will have to have that meet and greet in the center of the state and you can bring this as your show and tell. Well we don't want to wait a long time to get together, we may just have to view the blocks.

I know these blocks helped you during a rough patch. It was a great swap and we all enjoyed the results very much. Glad you are bringing it "back to life" (pun intended).

My DGD is a tomboy and never liked dresses or cute things. She is 9 and mixes all kinds of colors and prints together when she quilts with me and in her personal wardrobe. She gets a big chuckle out of seeing these blocks. And she doesn't get nightmares from them at all. After all, they aren't any worse than most cartoons are. Remember Tom and Jerry? Or Wiley Coyote? Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny?

I recall my mom telling us the Boogie Man would get us at night if we got out of bed for anything. There were 4 of us kids and we all grew up just fine. Have you thought of a closet monster getting her? It could be hiding in all your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by np3 View Post
    ............. Have you thought of a closet monster getting her? It could be hiding in all your stash.
    Maybe SBS got buried alive in her stash??????
    I think there's a lot of us that it's a real possibility!!! (yes, speaking for myself)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I think they are just plain awful! Awful funny that is! I feel guilty for liking them, kinda of like how I love watching Dexter. You know !??
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    I've never seen Dexter but I love Midsomer Murders and the American Horror Show.

Nancy, I wonder what kind of closet monster would scare Sue to death? Interesting concept. Maybe something out of Faceoff. I wish we had a Mid-CA meeting and I'd bring Sue for sure. We could hold a wake. lol

As for buried under the stash: That block is actually in the quilt that someone posted earlier in the thread.

Tonight I added the salt and pepper shaker to Giant Stew Sue so that one is DONE. yeah!
    Last edited by MadQuilter; 03-06-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you could kill Barbie, too while you are at it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

np3
    Blog Entries
    I've never seen Dexter but I love Midsomer Murders and the American Horror Show.

Nancy, I wonder what kind of closet monster would scare Sue to death? Interesting concept. Maybe something out of Faceoff. I wish we had a Mid-CA meeting and I'd bring Sue for sure. We could hold a wake. lol

As for buried under the stash: That block is actually in the quilt that someone posted earlier in the thread.

Tonight I added the salt and pepper shaker to Giant Stew Sue so that one is DONE. yeah!
    I had dreams about this all night. I had lots of quilting themes, including replacing the snake with lace or Ric-rac like they put on the bottom of her dress. Voodoo doll using flower head pins.

Then my mind turned to cartoons from the 50s and 60s, you know the non-violent nice stuff. lol I had an ACME safe dropping on her. Elmer Fudd was aiming his rifle at her. Tom was chasing her down like he does Jerry.

We'll plan a wake as soon as you return from Germany! Have you watched Monsters Inc? Cute animated film. Lots of monsters in those closets to get ideas from. You could make it's skin quilted patchwork. How about a ghost whose white sheet is replaced with a quilt, with holes for the eyes, like Casper, another non-violent cartoon?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by np3 View Post
    Voodoo doll using flower head pins.
    A Voodoo Sue was on the original plan but I found it too hard to translate. The actual Voodoo dolls are too coarse and the transition would not have been smooth.

FYI: We'll come back from Germany the weekend of the 17th of May. But I know that I won't be done with the quilt by then. Planning to do it QAYG or else all the embellishments might get in the way. Wouildn't want her ropes to get ripped. lol
    Martina

Blog Entries
    This certainly set off a flurry of responses, but I agree with you, the thoughts are creative, but I think it is sending a message that probably is not intended. Living outside of Washington DC I don't find torture or murder in any form, humorous. Making it, is disturbing, and displaying in the room that "welcomes" people to your home is equally disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Now it's Hello Kitty's turn to meet the same fate! LOL
    HA! That is exactly what my husband said when I showed him this thread!

np3
    Blog Entries
    We'll have to do it in the summer months. Back to the coast might be part of the plan, just saying!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjbart View Post
    Making it, is disturbing, and displaying in the room that "welcomes" people to your home is equally disturbing.
    Who says I "welcome" people, muuhaha? Everyone who knows me will find this a fitting piece and anyone else....enter at your own risk.
    Martina

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast